“Economical” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 38 Hotels in Lancaster
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“Economical”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

I have stayed at the Continental Inn several times in the past 5 years and eventhough I do see some disturbing reviews, out stay has always been nice, however; we are locals and stay in the off season to take advantage of the indoor pool, sauna, whirlpool, gameroom, ping pong, and free breakfast. They may have time in the off-season to clean it better and bugs are not as much of an issue with the cold. I have NEVER seen a bug in any of the rooms but I do admit they are very dated. I think this is how they keep costs down. Bedspreads, linens and the bathroom were always clean but the decor is old, dark and dated but usable and the rooms are set up nicely. On the weekends or when there is a lot of people or a holiday, there are two free breakfasts and it is a buffet (a small buffet). Less busier times the free breakfast you can order off the menu which is nicer. Despite all the comments about the dining staff and front office staff, everyone I have talked to or been waited on by has been extremely friendly and I think the staff is one of the Continental Inn's best attributes next to all the stuff they have for kids.

Now onto my favorite part, the facility amenities...there is ping pong (you have to purchase ping pong ball for 50 cents at a machine but keep the ball or bring your own and you can reduce or avoid this chg). Ping pong table is in the indoor pool area and in the game room in the lobby. They have a nice, heated indoor pool, indoor small baby wading pool, indoor hot tub, indoor sauna, and lounger seating indoors that has ultra violet tanning (not strong but enough to simulate natural light) lights above some (a bonus for me!). Also, there is a changing room at the indoor pool as well. You do have a short walk, outside (but with a top cover) to get to the indoor pool facilities. In the main lobby is a small game room with ping pong and billiards and this is where the Le Fluer restuarant is located, again, as this is a motel, you do have an outside walk to get to the lobby/game area. Summer ammenities outside also offer an outdoor pool, nice playground for kids, tether ball, and tennis courts which is a lot for a budget hotel (under 100 dollars in the winter and very reasonable rate in the summer as well. 10% off for AAA members.
Now, for the bad part, I do think they could do a deep cleaning and rooms would be nicer, also, while some rooms are labled as non-smoking, remember at one time you could smoke in ANY room so many do have a smokey smell to them but I never found this to be overpowering. If you are real picky or have kids that are young enough to still stick things in their mouth, or have severe allergies or asthma, you may want to find another place but my family including my brother in law and sister, all who have kids 6-12, love this place and the kids bug me constantly to go to the Continental Inn. Individual breakfast is tastier than the buffet but the buffet is not bad.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Selden, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011

My family stayed there as part of a larger group. In speaking to other members of the group, we all agreed that this place is a Dump! The rooms were infested with bugs and the hotel staff were rude. The rooms actually come with fly swatters so the hotel ownership and staff know there is a problem. I don't recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Old Bridge, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

I traveled with my husband and son last June. We had a great time. We walked to Dutch Wonderland. The breakfast was great. The grounds were perfect with indoor and outdoor pools and playground. Planning another trip for this June.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Hazleton, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2010

My mother and I recently did a 1 night stay in Lancaster to get some shopping done at the outlets. Since I was a child I have been visiting Lancaster always staying at the Continental Inn. I have not been there in a few years and was a little skeptical because of some of the reviews I read, however, figured it was only for a night. When we arrived as soon as we opened the door the smell of clean hit you right in the face. We couldnt have been happier with the room. The carpets looked brand new having no stains whatsoever, the bathroom was clean, the linens were clean. We also had a complimentary breakfast at the restaurant which was excellent. I definitely plan on staying here again and for longer next time to get to enjoy the pools :-)

• Stayed September 2010
Allison Park, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2010

I was a little leary staying hear after hearing some of the reviews listed. We had stayed hear before but, it had been a couple of years. We decided to come back to this hotel for the convience and price. I was worried about dirty rooms and bedbugs but there was none of the above. The rooms are not fancy but, were CLEAN!!! So, If your looking for a nice, clean reasonable place to stay that is close to everything, I would recommend it! It's also nice to not spend all your money on a place and to have a little extra for shopping! My kids also loved the great play area outside and the awsome pool!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Kissimmee, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

This is not a luxury hotel, by any stretch of the imagination. However, for the price you cannot beat it. It is safe, convenient and did not find it to be dirty as others reported. We have spent many happy summers there and would go back again. There is a large courtyard for the kids to run around. You can walk to Dutch Wonderland. Where else can you go for under $100 in this day and age? If you're picky, skip it. If you're just looking for a good time with family and friends and want to save money, go and enjoy.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Southern New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2010

Lets face it, if your staying in this area, your here for Dutch Wonderland, Shopping or Good Food. I doubt your looking for a resort. Your looking for a clean, decent room and this is what you get at this establishment.
This place is clean, the help treats you like family, you get a free breakfast, a real breakfast, and they have both an outdoor and indoor pool.
We are repeat visitors and each visit our room is clean, the beds are comfortable, and the maid staff is exellent.
Bottom line if you need to spend $250+ a night then this is not your place, but..if you would rather have the extra hundred a day for shopping then this is your place.

Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Continental Inn? Share your experiences!