“What a gem!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Lititz
“What a gem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

We stopped here based on a recommendation from the ladies at the Olde Mill Shoppes and we were not disappointed. It’s off the beaten path, but worth the hunt. It’s not a formal tearoom, more of a ‘casual’ tearoom with delicious food, wonderful desserts and a huge variety of teas. We all had the high tea which includes savories and desserts. They also have a nice variety of sandwiches, salads, etc. They have a large inventory of loose tea. If you’re into tea this is the place to find it.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Pennsylvania
“Rudest restaurant experience ever”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I was not surprised to read the previous post about rude service and can never recommend this Tea Room after my last visit there this summer. It was my Mother's Day gift to my elderly mom and mother-in-law and I planned our visit to coincide with my daughter's visit home (she lives in Africa). I made reservations 6 weeks in advance and confirmed that our seating would be in the Sun Room (large,bright airy room as opposed to the small, much darker Library room). Three days before our visit, I again called and confirmed our reservations (AGAIN repeating "And we will be seated in the Sun Room, correct?)

Upon our arrival, the hostess looked confused. She just shook her head and said "Well we don't actually have any tables available now." Obviously I was stunned, "But they confirmed our table in the Sun Room" to which she replied, "Oh there is a group in there for at least another hour". She pointed us outside (no roof). It was a chilly summer day and had been raining on the way over. None of us had brought sweaters so this was obviously not an option. She didn't apologize but just shrugged her shoulders. I asked to see the management and he soon appeared. "What's the problem here?" he asked in a disgruntled voice. I explained our reservation.To my utter astonishment he replied rudely, "I am NOT going to hold a table for 4 in the Sun Room when I can put 20 people in there!" (If that is your policy, why would you not communicate that when one makes the reservation???) He said, "You can sit in the library. There's nothing wrong with that." (of course the hostess had previously told us that there was absolutely no seating available anywhere). He did not so much as apologize but rushed off.

We waited for another 20 min. or so until a table was prepared. At the end of our meal, he came to our table and asked if our meal was satisfactory and then said that for our trouble he would compensate us with a free dessert. Since dessert was part of the High Tea we had already paid for, he said we could pick something up on our way out. When we got to the dessert case, we discovered that none of the nice desserts even qualified for his free offer. We were instructed to take a cookie or scone home.

This Tea Room visit was one I had anticipated for weeks due to my daughter's absence and a special treat for our moms. I have never been treated this poorly by restaurant management in my entire life. I would certainly not recommend this place but CAN recommend two other Tea Rooms in this general area which will not disappoint you: A Tea Affair in Lititz and The Front Porch Tea Room in Hellam. Excellent in every way!

Visited June 2012
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“Good food. Woefully poor hospitality and service.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Some of us had High Tea and we all thought the food was good. One of the two waitress accidentally spilled the vase of flower water, and she unknowingly dumped the flower water into one of our dishes containing bread. No one saw it at the time, but accidents do happen. It's just that when we asked the older waitress to replace it, it didn't seem a priority for her and took a while, as the accompanying soup cooled off to room temp. She had no comment at all or apologies for the sopping bread. I believe she thought we had spilled it, rather than the other waitress. No napkins were offered to dry the missed wet spots still on the table, and we didn't ask because it seemed like too much trouble. We thought it odd that she came later and snatched our nice vase of fresh flowers away without speaking a word. We had really enjoyed them. One by one, we had to ask for missing things - a cup, a glass of iced tea, and a silverware set and napkin – all essential for our lunch. I was missing my soup spoon, but simply used my tea stirring spoon for my soup. I don't like to ask when a waitress isn't happy to help. She seemed troubled by requests and had few or no words, even though we were always gracious. However, we did need to ask (and again wait) for dessert plates, because our savory plates were sloppy from the chicken salad. Why didn't they offer fresh plates for our sweets from the start? She didn't give us clean forks either, even though she had them in her hand. Good service is part of being able to enjoy a smooth, gracious, no-fret time and it's why people pay more for the comparatively small amount of food in order to experience High Tea.
The desserts were quite tasty. And we really enjoyed our teas, and would have loved to have FINISHED them, but as soon as we finished eating, the waitress let us know that we needed to leave because they had a another party coming in. We left our much wanted tea quietly, because we didn't want to put a pall on the memory of our day, nor did we want the incoming group to feel badly, for whom they were kicking us out to serve. The restaurant should have spaced out the two reserved parties better. We were on our annual Tea party reunion with one person coming from out of state six hours away. We would have loved to sit and talk awhile, as we have in past years at other tea houses eating, talking, and enjoying "catch up"; but our time was cut in half at this tea room.
Sadly, we won't return, not because we were angry, but because our normally wonderful, but rare day together was unnecessarily frustrated. We surely would have made up for any negative aspects of the service with some wonderful conversation, if we weren't rushed out. But by making us feel uncomfortable to linger over our tea, it was the final straw and guaranteed that we will always remember "the place with all the problems". Bottom line: the food was good, but the service and hospitality were woefully poor. It's a shame because I'd love to have good words for them. I hope they read this and not repeat our day for others sake.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Susquehanna Valley, PA
“Enjoyed a belated Mother's Day celebration with my Mom and Sister.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

The food, tea, and setting of this restaurant were wonderful. We enjoyed an afternoon lunch, tea, and great conversation. We ordered a tiered lunch for each of us. The first course was either soup or fruit. The fruit was served with a scone that melted in your mouth! We then enjoyed a sampling of crab salad, chicken salad, and spinach pesto roll. The meal was rounded out with a sampling of some sweet treats. We will definitely go back!

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
lititz
“quiet time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

Very nice place to relax & unwind after a long day @ work. The weather was beautiful the day I stopped so I had my lunch & tea outside.

• Visited July 2011