“Nice unique hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 38 hotels in Lancaster
lancaster, pa
“Nice unique hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

If you want something better than a change hotel this is the place, great unique hotel and close to everything. each room offers different things and the thai restaurant down the block is wonderful
A great town and an enjoyable place to stay

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

502 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Marlboro, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We stayed at the Lancaster Arts Hotel for an overnight stay. I thought the room was very welcoming,inviting, and a good size. I loved the old brick walls and the wood floor. The room was very clean. I really liked the bathroom. Nice vanity area to store your stuff. There was some mold on the shower tiles. I have come to expect some level of mold in the bath area, though this was not excessive. I had read other reviews where they mentioned the thin walls. I do agree with that comment. Our stay was on a weeknight and excessive noise was not an issue, though we did hear the shower running from the room next door. The bed was a little soft for my taste. The room does have a wine fridge, which I have little use for. If I stayed longer, I would have requested a mini fridge.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
central n.j.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

This was our first visit to Lancaster as we came up for a family reunion. The room was spacious { you could have fit three New York City rooms in it] and very clean. I like the features that it had two sitting areas,windows that open[ I have sinus problems]and a very comfortable bed. I did not have to use my own pillow that I always take with me.The artwork and the special lightning added a nice touch.

One review stated that the hotel was too far from the city attractions.but I disagree. I am 80 years old and had no difficulty walking to the downtown areas and later to the college which was in the opposite direction.

I could not hear the trains from my room but wonder why the engines had to running when not being used.It seemed like a waste of fuel.

The breakfast buffet was better than most European types that I have had in the past.

I like the city and will stay at the Arts Hotel when I do.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
lexington1, Director of Sales at Lancaster Arts Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your nice review of our hotel. We do our very best to make each guest experience here a great one! We love being part of downtown Lancaster and all that it has to offer. There are so many unique boutique shops, restaurants and art galleries, we feel proud to be a part of this vibrant City. Please come back and visit--we will wait for your return!
Oyster Bay, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

This is a very quiet, clean and friendly hotel. The area is sort of dreary (its right across from the freight train tracks) but it is located close to town and very close to F&M college. They were very accommodating as far as early check in and late check outs. It has a very artsy feel. The rooms were very comfortable. The on sight gym is very small and limited but they do give you a free pass to the YMCA across the street.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Mitchellville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

My husband and I love the Lancaster are and wanted to take a quick trip for some relaxation. I wanted to stay someplace we've never stayed and came across Lancaster Arts Hotel during my internet search. I saw the hotal and read the reviews and decided to give it a try. I must admit, I was nervous but thought, it's only one night so we'll try it. I am so glad we did. We both enjoyed everything about the hotel. The artsy decor is really cool. The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. The hvac system was really quite, you can't tell it's even on. We did not want to leave the room. Returning to the room after a day of shopping and finding our bed turned down, a rose and chocolates on the pillow was a great way to end the evening. Love it, love it, love it! Already planning a return trip. thanks Lancaster Arts Hotel. Oh, the staff are also great!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

I spent a week in Lancaster, PA and Lititz, PA for work. While here in town, I stayed in the Lancaster Arts Hotel. It's a nice hotel with a great history with rooms that are very accommodating. Beds were comfy and the showers were HOT. The free wifi was not great but it was free. The best hotel bar I've sat at in a long time. The bartender pours heavy and the drinks are cheap. The bar staff was friendly and helpful. The restaurants and shopping in the area were quite good as well.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
NYC/NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I loved with the outside of this building (a renovated tobacco warehouse) immediately, and the inside is even more exceptional.
Better still, it's a very good hotel!

Pros:

** This historic building has been renovated to perfection. The inside is cool and artsy ( but not wild/outre in any way!) but also comfortable and inviting.

** The rooms are a nice size with good, modern (but still cozy) furniture, a comfortable bed, fine closet space, a new tv, a small refrigerator and a well appointed (big shower!) bathroom. The rooms are a little dark (because of the building's location) but the lighting is plentiful and there are lots of plugs for computer, iPad etc.

** I checked in several hours early and my room was not only ready, but they had my specific requirements (foam pillows/feather free duvet) in place already!

** Free (and fast!) internet and free parking!

** In an up and coming neighborhood (a 10 minute walk from the center of town) which has a lot of very interesting building (including renovated row houses) and new stores and restaurants. I also liked the fact that his hotel is not smack in the middle of the Central Market tourist frenzy location.

** Free continental breakfast with multiple and good choices (although they really should add some fresh fruit).

Cons:

** It's shocking that such a stellar renovation of a building didn't include better soundproofing!
You really can hear footsteps above you, and more annoyingly tv (if your neighbor has it on) and voices. This was not a particular problem for me on this trip since my neighbors were relatively quiet, but it would be a big problem if next to a room full of noisy folks.

** The room was quite clean, but the window blinds could have used a better dusting, and there were a couple of places where the paint on the walls could have used a little touch up.

The room rate for a very large Queen in early January (2013) was an extremely reasonable ($179 plus tax). I'm guessing the rates go up in the summer but this hotel is so distinctive and pleasing that it's worth considering even at an in-season rate.

When booking ask for the non-railroad side of the hotel (less outside noise). Also, if you are don't like walking, this may be slightly too far out of town for you (it's just 1/2 mile or so), unless you want to drive your car into town (incurring a parking expense).

Even if you choose not to book at this hotel it's well worth a visit to see the building's superb renovation.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Lancaster Arts Hotel? Share your experiences!