“Birthday Fun” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“Birthday Fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

I went to the Tokyo Diner the other day with my friend Mandi to celebrate her birthday since we weren't able to hang out on the actual day. We were seated right away at the Hibachi grill as we requested. A few minutes later, a younger couple got seated with us (around 16 years old) apparently celebrating their 6 month anniversary. Our hibachi chef came out about 15 minutes later and I'm not gonna lie, it started out really awkward. No one was really sure how to react, but in time we all loosened up and had a good time. The food was very good, and at the end my friend tried the fried icecream and I had the red bean icecream. It kind of tasted like bubblegum. The pastry part of the fried icecream tasted familiar to us, but we couldn't quite place the taste. Overall, it was a fun experience and I think my friend really enjoyed her belated birthday dinner.

Visited August 2012

“Dont let the decor fool you!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

WHEN I first went to Tokyo Diner in Lancaster, I walked in and said, uh oh.. I dont know about this place. 5he decor is weird and cheap.. The food is EXCELLENT! The sushi remarkable and Im not a big sushi fan. but amazingly the Habachi steak is fantastic ..I dont know how they do it for twenty bucks but it is! And heres a secret, if you want to skip the tired show at the grill with kids picking their noses while the chef cooks and makes the stupid jokes and volcano from onion rings, just ask the hostess for the Habachi menu at the table. It will be fast better and you even get more steak! Listen, this place is a flat out bargain even if you dont like Japanese food. Go There!

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Lancaster
“Ho Hum”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

We went with a reservation and wound up sitting around for 30 minutes. Initial serving of salad and soup was haphazard, The hibachi chef was not that skilled. A lot of the food that he tossed to customers wound up on the floor (and was not picked up afterwards. Food was okay, but I've seen better. There are a few other Japanese places in town I;d try before returning here.

• Visited February 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Blue Ball, Pennsylvania
“yuck!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

same old, same old overpriced hibachi in a dark dingy dirty restaurant. don't go.

Visited February 2011
Vacation71
“Hidden little gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

Second time here, span of about 2 years since last visit. First one was in 09 and we loved it.
You would think from the outside being in the strip mall, oh well, but when you go in, its a small place that is very clean. Service and staff are excellent.
Our second time, in Nov. 2011, we ended up going later on almost 9p.m. Not a problem for the staff, they close at 10p.m.
We called to say we would be late for our 8:30 res. and they were very reassuring on the phone.
When we got there, we were seated immediately and left to view the menu. NEVER rushed.
Our Hibachi meal and rolls were Fantastic. The prices are very reasonable and the food is fantastic, so needless to say, when in the area, this is where you'll find us for Hibachi.

I forgot to add, that since we were there closer to closing time, when I tell you that man scrubbed the sushi area down, I was impressed. You won't be disappointed here.

• Visited November 2011