“Shockingly good” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Lancaster, Pennsylvania, United States
“Shockingly good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

This past Christmas we had an out of state visitor, and no 'room at the Inn', meaning we simply did not have a bedroom for our friend. Having heard good things about a local B+B called, we called and reserved a room sight unseen.

The evening our friend came in, we took him up to the Austrailian Walkabout, about 15 minutes from our home, and got him settled in. It gave us a chance to meet the B+B owners, and look around the place a bit. Having stayed at B+B's a few times ourselves, it was interesting to us.

The best way I can describe my own reaction is 'shocked'. The room was well appointed and down right luxurious. The bed comfortable, and the bathroom best described as spectacular. The house itself was immaculate and furnished in a style that's comfortable while sneaking in a luxurious classiness that's beguiling.

Our friend had a good stay, and has already asked to be put up at the Australian the next time he visits.

The final word? The Inn is close enough to home that we could bicycle there.... and I'm still considering spending a weekend just to enjoy the surroundings and the company of the owners. Heartily recommend the place.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Watertown, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

What more can I say about Bob and Lynne and the wonderful home, yes home that they run. It is our second stay and we stayed for 8 days again so we were just not a weekend visit but a whole week to get to know Bob and Lynne better. The breakfasts are to die for and they provided water and soda and wine and no expense to their guests.
When my wife and I came home after a day of exploring we would sit in the living room after supper and had some great conversations with Bob and Lynne. It was just like visiting with old friends that you had not seen in a year.
The home is kept spotless and any problems that did arise ( there were none! ) would be fixed right off. I am a diabetic and Lynne made sure to ask and provide what I needed to stay on diet. We asked Bob and Lynne if they would adopt us and we would work just for food, they are both excellent cooks.
So I say don't miss this opportunity to stay in the best bed and breafast that Lancaster has to offer I know my wife and I will be back next year and years to come.

Bob and Debi.

Room Tip: We like the Borosa room but thet all have there unique features.
Burnsville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

I booked a stay with Lynne and Bob after reviewing their user friendly website. I was in town for business so I required accommodations that were convenient to everything but out of the way enough to enjoy the Lancaster countryside. I have always been a fan of American Four Square Homes and their welcoming early American family charm. The rooms in the inn was larger than I expected, I was given what I would refer to as a suite really, a large sitting room with an adjacent bath and very large bedroom with a 4 poster bed.... very cozy in deed. I loved the charm of the Chestnut moldings, the big old timey porch; Lynne's French toast was wonderful, so much so I was not hungry until dinner.

I was actually greeted by a young doctor and his wife who had been staying at the Australian that week while shopping for Amish made furniture for the home they were building. We exchanged pleasantries out on the porch and they informed me it was their 1st stay at the inn also, but I could tell sense they had become very friendly with Lynne when she came out from the kitchen to greet me.

I felt at home while I was away from home which is why I prefer to stay in bed & breakfasts. I would not hesitate to recommend this inn to another business traveler and I would imagine a family would enjoy Lynne’s hospitality and guidance on all there is to do in the Lancaster area. I look forward to a return trip when I can explore all the area has to offer.

Room Tip: The inn was pretty busy si I was not able to see other rooms.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

My daughter and I spent two nights at this B&B. It was her first experience at a B&B, I have stayed countless nights throughout the country enjoying B&B establishments. Unfortunately, when we entered our room we were hit with an awful odor that is best described as being at a nursing home. You know that smell at your grandparents house (and not the one of fresh baked cookies)! Also the B&B advertized that a refrigerator in the room and the main area of the house would be available and stocked. The refrigerator in our room was empty and it was dirty. The refrigerator in the main area was not well stocked and in fact we had to ask for water bottles twice. Breakfast was ok, table setting was no different from what I offer at home. The furnishing are old and not very clean. The air-conditioner made an awful noise all night and would just turn off, at one point I could not get it back on. And don't expect much in the way of water pressure. There is a nice-sized porch but it was dirty and not inviting. I cannot recommend this place to others---sorry.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
JuneBJones, Owner at The Australian Walkabout Inn Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Even though your review is tough for me to read, I wish you would have let me know what you were feeling while you were here so I could have taken any required steps to improve your stay immediately. We do not want anyone’s experience here to be negative in any way.

Your words provide me important feedback that I take very seriously. I'll be reviewing each and every one of the issues you raised and will fix, adjust, update and completely change things if necessary at our B&B to ensure future guests' satisfaction .

There are many lodging choices here in Lancaster, and we strive to be the one of the best. As you can see from our other guest reviews, that is usually the experience we deliver. I'm very sorry that you feel that we have fallen short of our high standards.
Rockville Centre, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

Stayed there recently after checking on Tripadvisor. Lovely old house and very friendly innkeepers. We booked the more expensive Victoria suite, which was very nice, but in my opinion slightly overpriced at a total of $234.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
JuneBJones, Owner at The Australian Walkabout Inn Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to review us. We're so happy that you enjoyed your stay here. You'll want to note that we do offer rooms at three different price points. We also provide many little 'extras' to our guests so as to add value to their experience with us. We hope you'll return soon. Thanks again.
Brewster, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

We had a wonderful stay at The Australian Walkabout Inn. Bob and Lynne are excellent hosts. They were very friendly and yet respectful of our privacy. They provided wonderful breakfasts each morning of our stay. The food was very tasty and far better than typical hotel breakfast fare. Snacks and beverages were readily available. It was a real treat to come home from a day of sightseeing and be able to have a nice glass of red wine before jumping in the whirlpool bath in our room. The inn itself is very nicely appointed. It is located in a quiet neighborhood where you won't be disturbed yet you can get to all the areas of interest with just a short drive. The porch and other common areas are comfortable and roomy. DVDs are available to watch in your room. There are games and reading material if you want to just chill at the B&B instead of going out to do touristy stuff. We had the Barossa suite and it was very well decorated and extremely comfortable. It was perfect for a romantic weekend getaway. The whirlpool bath easily accommodates two people. This is a very nice place to stay. We felt we really got our money's worth. We definitely recommend it.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to tell others about your stay here. We're so glad that you enjoyed the place and hope that you'll return again very soon.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

We decided to get away from the hectic life of New York City for a weekend, and came upon the Walkabout Inn - good thing we did! The innkeepers - Lynne & Bob - were beyond helpful and accommodating. The inn itself was beautiful and kept in top shape. Our suite had excellent lighting and wonderful decor. We had an abundance of quiet and privacy, which made for a great sleep. The breakfast was fantastic - Lynne and Bob are excellent cooks - and you are guaranteed a fresh and delicious meal to start your day. Only downside? Once we got home, we wanted to go back!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Australian Walkabout Inn Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!