“Exceptional in Every Respect!” 5 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   837 Village Rd, Lancaster, PA 17602   |
Ranked #6 of 22 Lancaster B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Arlington, VA
“Exceptional in Every Respect!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2008

I recently spent two weeks at the Walkabout Inn from late January to early February. As someone who has traveled extensively in Europe and America, this was the best B&B experience I have ever had--anywhere!

As a business traveler, I was especially appreciative of how the innkeepers (Bob and Lynne), went out of their way to accommodate my early morning schedule. I was given a first-class breakfast each morning with homemade delights that included cinnamon scones, poached pears, baked oatmeal, French toast, and egg strata. There was always plenty of high-quality hot coffee and juice, too.

The rooms were immaculately clean and my room was always made-up to perfection by the time I returned each evening. Lynne and Bob invited me to enjoy a glass of wine on several evenings as I relaxed in their elegant parlor. I truly felt like a friend-of-the-family. Bob and Lynne can read a guest like few innkeepers I have met. On nights when I needed to work in my room enjoying their free wi-fi access, I was given the peace and quiet I required, but on evenings when I had more free time, Bob and Lynne were always available to visit with to make one feel more welcome. If every guest receives the treatment I enjoyed, Bob and Lynne are guaranteed to be fully booked for the foreseeable future!

I plan to advise my business associates to make reservations at the Walkabout Inn anytime they are in the Lancaster area. Competitive prices create a great value given the amenities and furnishings. The accommodations alone beat any local hotel, but with exceptional service to rival the Ritz Carlton, the Walkabout Inn is in a class by itself. They have raised the standard for B&Bs in Lancaster County! Truly 5-stars!

• Liked — Great food, attentive innkeepers, very clean rooms, exceptional service
  • Disliked — There was nothing that I did not like about my experience.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Vienna, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2008

Elegant, meticulously clean and very welcoming. Service was outstanding - great attention to every detail.

Our family of five would be tough to accommodate in most B&Bs, but the Walkabout Inn has private adjoining areas to a couple of rooms that are easily pressed into service in a way that allowed us to stay close yet quite comfortable.

Innkeepers Bob and Lynne Griffin obviously love what they do, and that particularly shows at breakfast time.

Can't wait to see what they do with the carriage house in back.

• Liked — Innkeepers Bob and Lynn Griffin have an amazing range of interests and talent.
  • Disliked — Nothing - We thoroughly enjoyed every moment!
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
Fredericksburg, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2008

The Australian Walkabout Inn B&B has lovely charm. The owners are wonderful hosts, going above and beyond to make sure all guests are comfortable and satisfied. And there are many interesting places and attactions near by to tour and visit and experience.

Stayed December 2007
western pa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2007

Thanks for a wonderful stay. The food was great, the hostesses were caring and friendly, the room was romantic (loved the hot tub!). Just an overall great atmosphere for a much needed get-away.

Chris and Karl
Western Pa

• Liked — the atmosphere
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ashburn, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2007

Our stay at the Inn was great! We stayed in the Quilt Room and it was beautiful -- adjacent to our room was a large sitting room with a refrigerator (very nice).

Lynn and Bob were caring, warm and helpful...making you feel welcomed from the start. For me, the personalized touches and decor made all the difference and I was very impressed with how clean everything looked.

Though we didn't get to take advantage of breakfast, it smelled wonderful!

We are definitely planning to stay there again!

Danny & Chris

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Pittsburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2007

We found the Walkabout to be much more than we even dreamed it would be. The rooms are very nicely furnished, the woodwork is as close to perfection as anyone will find. While we chose not to avail ourselves of the spa in our room, we are sure it would be a wonderful addition for guests- furthermore, there is a spa in other rooms as well. The breakfast we enjoyed was very tasty and served in the beautifully furnished dining room. That which sets the Walkabout aside as head and shoulders above the others are the hostess and host- Lynne and Bob. They are so warm and caring making it diffcult for us to imagine any other accomodations can even come close. As we visited The Sight and Sound Theatre in Strassburg, we believe the location of The Walkabout - a trip of about 10 minutes puts it over the top!
Irene & Ron Reibie

Stayed September 2007
Atlantic City, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2007

My boyfriend and I (late 20's) decided to take a Labor Day Wknd trip to Lancaster for our anniversary. Since neither of us had been there since we were kids, we weren't sure where to stay. I really just wanted a nice room with a jacuzzi. After a few internet searches, I wound up booking the Outback Cottage at the Walkabout Inn.

We arrived around dinnertime on Saturday the 1st. When we arrived, we were greeted by Bob (an innkeeper) doing work on the house outside. We were then greeted inside by his wife (I feel so horrible that I cannot remember her name right now!), who assisted us with checking in. They are the new owners of the Walkabout Inn (I thought she was joking, but I found out the next day that she was not), having just bought it last week. They were very nice people, I must say.

She took us to our room and showed us around the room. We did not see the other rooms, but ours was perfect. When you entered the "cottage" (which is a sectioned off area of an old garage, it appears), the bathroom (with a shower) was on your right and directly in front of you was the Jacuzzi. It was very large, and in a separate area than where the bed is. She showed us how to operate the jacuzzi. There is also a mini-fridge in the jacuzzi area, which was always stocked with sodas and water. The bed was king-sized, and there was a tv/vcr/dvd player. The entire place was decorated very nicely, and went well with the theme.

We ate breakfast the first morning we stayed there, which was baked french toast, breads, breakfast ham and a poached apple. Very delicious. Coffee and juice was also available.

The location of the Walkabout Inn was great for us. It seemed to have a central location for everything we wanted to do. 15 minutes to Bird-In-Hand, 5 minutes to Willow Valley, very short distances, and not far from Rt. 30.

It was very romantic, and perfect for a relaxing getaway for us.

Stayed September 2007

Been to The Australian Walkabout Inn Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!