“Beware - not accommodating to everyone” 1 of 5 stars

Country Inn of Lancaster
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2133 Lincoln Hwy. East, Route 30, Lancaster, PA 17602   |
Ranked #13 of 36 Hotels in Lancaster
upstate NY
“Beware - not accommodating to everyone”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Last week, we booked through Booking.com at the last minute to stay overnight for a college visit (Franklin & Marshall). Our tournament lasted two hours longer than expected, and we felt unsafe making the five-hour drive when we were already tired. We called the hotel and asked if we could push it back a week. However, I found out today that my daughter can't get that day off from school, so we called to cancel. The people at the inn said, "Sorry, no refunds the way you booked it." Next, I called Booking.com, and they walked me through their site until I found a small notice about nonrefundable, but it was not highlighted, nor in red, nor enlarged, so I missed it.
I would be annoyed at a cancellation fee, but I would at least understand it. They are keeping 100% of my money for a room I never stayed in. I explained our situation, but they were unsympathetic. They finally said they would give me a credit, but at this point, there is no way I want to stay at this property. I have stayed at many places looking at colleges in the northeast over the past year (and needed to cancel if plans went awry), and I have never had this type of, "too bad, you lose," treatment. I have not yet been to Lancaster, so I don't know if this is a community type of terseness or it is just the way this property is managed.
My fault for not seeing the fine print, but wow, if this is how they treat people, I guess I'm glad we didn't go.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

This country inn has incredible features and services when you look beyond the stereotypical country decorating. The lobby has hot drinks and juice 24 hours a day, plus free popcorn in the afternoons. The free breakfast was great, and the bedrooms and bathrooms are clean and new.

• Stayed April 2013
Hawkesbury, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Our Yankee Trails tour group stayed at the Country Inn in Lancaster. We were greeted warmly by the hotel and all our rooms were organized and ready when we arrived. The country charm and atmosphere was nice. The rooms were spacious and clean. We had two queen beds which were very comfortable. A large flat screen tv with tons of channels, should you desire for watching. We were on the second floor which did not have a balcony or rocking chairs like the first floor rooms. The bathroom was adequate, with lots of towels and toiletries. The sink and countertops are well worn from use over the years, so don't expect shiny granite or such. We had everything we needed. The lobby had a fireplace and popcorn and coffee, tea and such. The check in desk was efficient and friendly. We had breakfast just across from the front entrance, as the restaurant is separate in its own building just a few steps away. Breakfast was well organized and very good. I would definitely recommend this hotel for anyone who is interested in casual comfort. Perfect when you are traveling around taking in the sights. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Our room was quiet as it was at the end of a hallway. If I was spending any time there, I would like...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Littlestown, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

The hotel had a very country charm with balconies and rocking chairs, rooms with amish quilts. The room was very clean and front desk was very friendly and helpful. The drinks 24/7 was a nice touch with the popcorn. Rooms were average definitely not worth the price. This was a $89.99 room instead of $129.99. No refrigerator in room. If this was a newly renovated hotel, still needs improvement. Heater/air conditioner was very loud, but too stuffy to turn it off. Beds were very uncomfortable.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Incredibly friendly reception helped us check in and locate our room. What a gorgeous hotel, on the main drag but smelt welcoming and comforting, like hot cider and apple pie!! Bedroom was just as cute, patchwork quilts, wooden rocking chairs on the balcony, nice and clean. Lovely products in the bathroom, and a good quantity of towels. There's a bar next door for food and drinks, pool and music, if you are looking for somewhere close. We ended up in a watering hole out in the middle of nowhere on the recommendation of our cab driver, and it was a LOT of fun, and cheap!! I recommend this place if you are looking for something warm and comforting, they also have a pool that I didn't swim in but seemed to be all you'd need - and a jacuzzi.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at the other Country Inn and Suite by Carlson across from Dutch wonderland ...so i had an understading that this would not be like that...but this was a very DISAPPOINTED stay.

The Room we were placed in what I call an Annex to the main hotel. The rooms are old looking with wood paneling when you walk in to the room and has a mildew smell. You have to walk outside just to go to the pool or the main hotel. Rooms have dim lighting. Hair dryer did not work as it had a loose connection. But the towels were soft....LOL

While they do have an updated TV some of the furniture is worn and needs replacement. the only country part about the room was the bed spread quilt and that too how to smell to it.

Heater/AC unit in the room is connect to the outside wall and made for a RUDE awaking at 6:45am..Saturday morning. Someone smoking right outside the room ... made for what I call a FIRE wake up call. We all woke up thinking the place was on FIRE. The room smelled so bad that I called the front desk to check it out, as the smoke from outside got sucked in to the room from the vent. I turned off the unit and it did go away but needed to spray the room with Cologne just to get rid of it. $250.00 charge for smoking in the room could have been charged to us as it was that bad. The same thing happen again on Sunday morning but at 8:00 am again we got up... packed up and left the hotel without even checking out....

Nice pool on Friday night with families BUT that all changed on Saturday night as a group of 30 high school kids from Canada took over the pool and Hot Tub.... my kids did not want to go in or stay. :) Thanks for nothing..... they had 1 chaperone for all those kids, as he screamed at them in French.

Breakfast was not what my kids are use to.... hard boiled eggs and bread with cereal. Nothing hot. They had juice and coffee available 24 hour today in the lobby. Breakfast room was very small with 7 tables. Waffle House would have been better.

Next time we even come to Lancaster we will stay at the other Country Inn and Suite

Jerry Ehrlich from the Great City of Philadelphia

• Stayed March 2013
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

The facility is very clean, customer service top notch from the front desk to the housekeepers. Every one always willing to help. Front Desk very helpful in planning daily activities with directions and all. Lobby sitting area was a nice touch with a fire place, very comfortable, 24 hour free coffee, juice ,cold water. Popcorn served til 8pm. Very sweet place.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Country Inn of Lancaster? Share your experiences!