“Look elsewhere” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 38 hotels in Lancaster
Nicholson, Pennsylvania
“Look elsewhere”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

The desk staff was rude and disinterested in helping us. More interested in unbuttoning her shirt to show off her chest than actually doing any work. The room was so dusty i was able to write "clean me" in several different places, (the headboard, the tv stand, the chair) and to my surprise (insert sarcasm here) it was not cleaned during our stay. The rooms are so not sound proofed we were able to hear the conversations from the next room as well as the one across the hall. The air conditioner takes care of the need for privacy..it is soo loud that you are then able to speak in total privacy but forget sleeping with it rattling and groaning. Broken plastic was on the floor in front of the window and remained there for both nights we stayed there. Check out time we we told of some charges we incurred because we paid cash for the room rather than charging it.. not for calls or movies, just a problem with people paying cash. Would have been nice to have been told this when we had reserved weeks in advance. Stairwells and hallways near elevators were filthy

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

434 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Brooklyn, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

This was my 1st and last time going to this hotel. The sheets were only folded by the maid, as I had a hole in the same spot in my sheet for the 4 night stay. There was plastic spoons etc left from previous guests on the floor. I could not enter my room with the card key, had to have manager come in and help and he couldn't. Said he would issue a credit never did............The outdoor pool was closed.............vending machine was broken, and the one working was in the inside where the pool is.....which was closed! Had to buy drinks from staff behind unprofessional staff, that was busy ordering takeout while ignoring us...........................Come home to find that I was charged almost $200 more upon checkout. Need I say more????????????????? If it's only going to look good while driving, then keep going.

Manchester, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2010

They were spray painting the roof and exterior walls during our stay. Cars wrapped in plastic, others not. Front wall had a giant tarp covering some kind of damage. Common areas smelly and dirty. Room as adequate, but the AC was loud.

Arrived to find one person at the desk and a small line. Girl did not seem to care that her slowness was annoying. Otherwise staff was nice and responsive.

Continental breakfast was good and standard fare. Location is great, but place seemed to be a mess. Not up to speed, no apologies for renovation work in progress.

Altoona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

Well, we usually stay at the higher end hotels, but due to our travel plans changing at the last minute, we found ourselves needing a room in the middle of the night on our way to Philly. After checking with several hotels in the area and finding them either booked (it was a Friday night) or wanting more than $100 dollars to sleep for about 6 hours, we came to the Red Roof Inn. Audra @ the front desk was more than friendly and when I walked into the lobby @ 3:00 AM, she was defintely a sight for sore eyes. Check-in was quick, price was right on ($49/night) and we were in our room in less than 5 minutes. Room was clean, beds were made nicely and we were well on our way to sleeping. The only complaint (and it's minor) was that there was no separate conditioner (the shampoo said Conditioning Shampoo, but you really do need a separate conditioner) and some of our towels were small and not very absorbent. If we had been staying longer, the mini-fridge and Keurig coffeemaker would have come in really handy.

Overall, for the price you're paying, it's a great deal! Super friendly staff, very clean rooms and easy access to nearby attractions and eateries, I don't think you could beat it. :)

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
belkins, Internet Revenue Contractor at Lancaster Red Roof Inn, responded to this review, August 31, 2010
Thank you for your comments and bringing your concerns to our attention. We take all comments and concerns to our staff for review and consider them as building tools for our guest to enjoy their stay.
Gallatin, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2010

I was very pleased to find this hotel. The hotel had just been renovated and they did a good job. I had read a few controversial reviews, but took a chance when I saw the pix posted. It was exactly as the pix showed. Beautiful, comfortable rooms and friendly staff. Very close to food and tourist stops.
If there was any downside, it would be a few dirty spots on the hallway carpet, but there were a lot of families there at the time.

Toronto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

First off, let me say that my "love-in" with Red Roof Inn was brought about by my stay at the property in Hamburg New York last year. That property was clean and cheery.

This summer, my family and I travelled to New Jersey and Pennsylvannia and we stayed at Red Roof Inns in Secaucus, Edison and finally this one in Lancaster. We were there from August 15 for 4 nights.

When I had made the reservation, I had contacted the general manager to give him the opportunity to assure me that the hotel was clean and safe. He did.

So, let me start with the positives:

Free wireless Internet in guest rooms. Our connection worked without any problems;

The location, right on Rt 30, and its close proximity to the outlet malls and many restaurants, was great.

On to the less positives:

While the hotel boasts of free breakfast, the quality of the food was not great. Yes, one could make one's own waffles but other than that and some bagels and bread, the biscuits and gravy looked decidedly unappetizing, and to have to look at it four mornings in a row, was just too much. I guess the hotel has not heard of varying their breakfast fare. The fruit - a few uncut oranges and apples - was a disappointment.

The hotel website indicates the property has 95 newly renovated rooms. They may have been newly renovated years ago, but certainly not as of August 2010. Ours was not and peeking through some of the windows of the other rooms confirmed that our room was not better and no worse in terms of refurbishment than the others.

Finally, the negatives:

Our plans had changed and we wanted to check in a day earlier. Having previously established contact with the general manager, I e-mailed him to see if there was availablity. No response. I sent a follow-up e-mail. Still, no response. I finally went to the Red Room Inn website to book the room for the night of August 15.

The room we had was filthy. See accompanying photos. While having a "newly renovated" room would have been nice, it is simply disgusting when one has to look at the dirt and debris on the carpeting in the room. Both the sink and the bathtub were not draining well. We told this to the front desk clerk twice and besides showing disinterest, did nothing to correct it. The sheets were never changed throughout our stay. On the morning that we checked out, we noticed a caked in piece of dirt on the bedsheet and it left us wondering whether the sheet had been changed since the last occupants of the room left. This is simply disgusting and unacceptable.

Bloomfield, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

We just came back from visiting Dutch Wonderland and stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. After reading several reviews I was really worried about staying here until the most recent review posted “Awesome Experience”. The hotel wasn't too bad we didn’t run into any major problems thankfully. The room was ok. It smelled clean but it diffidently needed dusting in a VERY bad way. Linens were clean with NO stains. It seems the prior guest wrote on the amour where the television is in "Clean" so you can just imagine the amount of dust it takes if you can see that. The beds were comfortable and so were the pillows. The bathroom for the most part was clean but did noticed very small mold spots. The bathroom mat ( in the tub) was peeled back a little as well. The hotel has a small pool . We didn’t used it but it looked well maintained. When we first arrived we went to take a look and there was about 6 people in the pool and that was about enough to really enjoy. You really couldn’t swim but just to cool off was fine. Now the prior review mentioned a full breakfast. Unfortunately I found out the next morning that they only have a full breakfast on Sundays and the rest of the week it's just a continental breakfast. Which was nice. It included waffles (tasty), toast, muffins, bagels, cereals, biscuit with grave(my husband liked) coffee and juice. The fruit that was severed was apples which look like they were there for a while and 2 dried up oranges. So for the people that are big breakfast eaters (such as my family) you must go out to eat. This hotel is on a major road which you will find tons and tons of places to eat. We ate at Millers on the same road. Great food and great prices if you’re on a budget. I think if you’re looking for a weekend give away with your family this place will do anything longer you might want to reconsider your options.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to Lancaster Red Roof Inn? Share your experiences!