“Disgusting” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 38 hotels in Lancaster
Gillette, New Jersey
“Disgusting”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

When we opened the door to our room we immediately shut it because it reeked of cigarette smoke (this was a non-smoking hotel). The man at the desk moved us to a different room. It took him about twenty minutes to figure out how to do that while my 3 children were getting very tired and antsy. He was very unprofessional and complained about the amount of hours he works the whole time. When we got to the second room it also smelled liked cigarette smoke. But at that point it was 8:30pm and the children needed to go to bed. We brought our things in and began getting settled. We immediately noticed that there was a thick layer of dust on the refrigerator, bed headboards, and TV cabinet. On the top of the refrigerator was also a ring in the dust that looked like it was from a glass. There were two open safety pins on the floor of the closet as well as a toenail. There were cigarette burns in the comforter. If we didn't have the kids with us my husband and I would've left at that point. I would've rather slept in the car. The floor was dirty, there were hairs in the tub, the tub was cracked and peeling. We wouldn't even let our kids walk around on the floor without socks or shoes on. I will never stay in a Red Roof Inn again. I mentioned some of our concerns when we checked out and was told the manager would call me the next day. I have not received a call.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dave G, General Manager at Lancaster Red Roof Inn, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear taryn824,

Thank you for the feedback. It is feedback's like such that really motivate us to do better and alleviate us amongst the best. As we are saddened to hear and see that you were least satisfied with our service. I truly apologize for this inconvenience and would like to see this not happen again.
I apologize as we are a 100% smoke free property, which means there is no smoking in any of the rooms and interior public areas. We also request every guest to use the designated smoking area, however, it is very difficult for us to demand such items when they too our guest.
We apologize that the next room we moved you to was not to your standards. I would like to ensure that we correct this on your future stay. Please reach out to me before booking your next stay. I would like to personally commend you on the feedback and would like to illustrate what we stand for here at the Lancaster Red Roof Inn.

Best
Dave

460 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Bay Shore, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I travel a few times a year to the Lancaster Area. I started to stay at the Red Roof Inn a few years back. I had no real issues until last October 2011. That horrible stay included needing to have my rooms switched once, the second room the remote didnt work, the phone was not working, the door would not close right and the air conditioner was "cracked". Upon check out the front desk person, refunded some money as he knew of the room I was in and the issues with it. I didnt return to this hotel for the next couple of stays in beginning of 2012. I returned back to the Red Roof Inn after traveling from the South back home to NY. The room I was given was horrible - the bathroom wasnt clean, there were cobwebs on my bed and for some reason the room we were in had a smaller television then the other rooms... On a good note, the cleaning people were really nice. Would I recommend this faclity ...no ..... For all my travels next year I will be choosing another hotel chain...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Sage6502,

I'm very saddened to hear that we have misrepresented ourselves and you did not enjoy our stay. We strive very hard to provide the best accommodations possible for a really nice price. However, sometimes we do overlook the important stuff and we are truly sorry for this. We would love for you to give us one more try and reach out to me personally if you have any concerns and problems. I would like to ensure that you have had the best stay at this hotel. We pride ourselves in ranking amongst the top in Lancaster and will continue to do so with your support and help.

Best Regards,
Dave
Egg Harbor City, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Close to all area shopping, attractions and restaurants! We love the location. We watched an Amish man bail hay in the field behind the Inn. The Inn is very clean and they have many amenities. We walked next door toTexas Roadhouse and enjoyed a great steak dinner. We will definitely stay at Red Roof again.

Morpeth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

this hotel is classed as a budget hotel but believe me we have stopped in four star accommodation that does not come near this gem ,
Great location,clean room, decent breakfast and helpful staff, good restaraunts just a few steps away,parking free,shopping mall just over the road ,also hotel handy for all area attractions

Room Tip: choose a room at rear of hotel away from main highway
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

This was much better than expected and the room was very clean. There was a mini fridge and a microwave in the room and continental breakfast in the lobby in the morning. Check in and check out was quick and easy. It's located very close to the malls, Dutch Wonderland, and restaurants. The road to get in and exit is quite busy, but you can cut through neighboring parking lots to get to a traffic light to make turning left easier.

Sewell, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

We booked this place on hotel.com for a decent price. Rooms come with a small refrigerator, a coffee pot which makes one cup of coffee at a time (coffee packets) and a microwave; in room coffee tasted terrible. Coffee available in the breakfast was so much better! Breakfast served every day; biscuits & sausage gravy; waffles; pancakes; fresh fruit; coffee (regular & decaf); juices; bread; small muffins; cold cereal and oatmeal. The front desk person informed me that eggs and other items are offered on weekends; our stay was during the week. The only glitch during our stay which repeated itself for 3 of our 4 night stay was: the first night we didn't have bath soap; The bathroom vanity comes with 2 sinks and the attendant left only 2 very small bars of soap (one of which we used in the tub area). The tub sported grab bars which made us feel very secure in the tub. The second night we had no towels and no coffee packets ; we went to the front desk to obtain towels and packets. On the third morning, I s\poke to the front desk attendant about the room attendant. The third night we had an abundance of everything; the fourth night when we returned to our room, the attendant had taken the used towels (which he/she only did if I piled them up next to the tv armoire) but not supplied clean hand towels. I spoke again to the front desk attendant who apologized profusely. I think we would return here even with the missing items problem; but, our stay would be much nicer if we didn't have to always ask at the front desk for missing items we were supposed to have.

Weehawken, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

nice, clean motel, fridge & microwaves in all rooms, good WiFi service in rooms; excellent location for day trips around Lancaster County; near the American Music Theatre ( great theater for concerts, etc ), restaurants within walking distance & lots of dining options nearby.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Lancaster Red Roof Inn? Share your experiences!