“Nice and quiet setting” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 38 hotels in Lancaster
York, Pennsylvania
“Nice and quiet setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Went for a relaxing birthday getaway. The setting was nice and quiet. I arrived early and my room was ready. Loved the whirlpool tub! As a Hilton Honors member, I did not appreciate the internet access fee. The food was bland and the room service menu very skimpy. Two maids decided to hold a mini convention ourtside my door one afternoon, not very professional. Otherwise a good stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Kristin O, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Hotel Lancaster, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thank you for taking time to post about your recent stay. Our wireless if free to everyone in our public areas including the entire lobby and restaurant. It is also free to Gold and Diamond HHonors members. If you are are gold or diamond member, please let me know so I can adjust your charges as it should have been free to you. If there is anything else I can do to assist you, please let me know: Kristin O'Connor, Guest Relations; (717) 464-7503, koconnor@willowval.com

756 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is very beautiful and clean. Front desk staff very friendly. Check in and out fast and convenient. Room was wonderful (king with whirlpool) I went with my husband for a getaway. Did not visit pool area so I can't speak about that.

The only downfall about this place is the 24hundred cafe. The food was not good. In a Hilton hotel and for the price I expected excellent food. You could tell vegetables had been sitting around, mashed potatoes too. Steak was just ok...hamburger too. Staff was very friendly and attentive but doesn't make up for bad food. We told waitress our concerns but charge was not removed from bill. We even gave it a second chance with room service later. Thought something simple would be good. Still poor quality.

Overall you should stay here...beautiful hotel!! Just don't eat here.

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you for staying with us recently. I'm happy to read you really enjoyed your stay with us with the exception of our restaurant. I've forwarded your comments to both our Restaurant Manager and our Executive Chef and I would like to resolve your situation. When time permits, please contact me: Kristin O'Connor, Guest Relations; (717) 464-7503, koconnor@willowval.com
Dover, Delaware
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

I stayed here when it was the Willow Valley resort about two years ago, so I looked forward to visiting under the DoubleTree. My husband and I visited during Valentine's Day weekend, where we booked a 1 king bed suite, which was very clean, orderly, and pretty. The staff were all helpful, they even have a line where you can get helpful information for restaurants in the area, things to do, etc. The hotel itself is very nice. However, I went to the attached Cafe 24Hundred for dinner, and it was not good at all. Waitress was nice, but very slow, and the food was overpriced for bad food. I think the breakfast would have been better, but we left early our last day. I thought the $5/24hr charge was unnecessary, but I guess it's company policy if you're not a member. Received and in-room masssage, and it was amazing! Very friendly, and the front desk notified me when they arrived.

What I DID NOT appreciate was being charged over $800 PAST the cost of my room due to me booking through a third-party travel company. Not only was I overcharged for my room, but I ended up paying for my room a total of three times. While two of the charges did get dropped, I really would have appreciated a heads up that both my credit and debit cards were going to get charged in excess of $800. It took two days, two hours of phone calls, and calling my travel company to resolve the issue. The staff at the DoubleTree hotel were not helpful at all.

The room was nice, and the massage was great. But the charges on my account, and lack of customer care, made me leave the hotel on a sour note. It has been 7 days, and my issues are still not resolved. I do not think i'll be staying in this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Kristin O, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Hotel Lancaster, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
I'm truly sorry you ran into major problems with your credit card during your recent stay. When guests book through third parties like Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline and Hotels.com; our hotel has little recourse if something goes wrong. You pay the booking engine, and they handle your entire reservation. When you encounter errors with your credit card, we are not able to fix the situation, because we did not make the error, we don't even have your payment information. Unfortunately, all issues need to be handled directly through the booking engine you originally used. That being said, our customer service team needs to work as hard as possible to help you get the issue resolved. We may not be able to fix the issue, but our team can certainly assist or offer advice. It's a problem that could have happened at any hotel, and I would be happy to speak with you regarding this. Please reach out to me when you have a chance. I would love to invite you back and make sure your next experience is more positive: Kristin O'Connor, Guest Relations; (717) 464-7503, koconnor@willowval.com
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We spent one night here over President's Day weekend, so it was pretty crowded. We arrived around 330 pm and were told our room was not yet ready, which was completely understandable. However, the receptionist couldn't even given me an idea of when it would be ready. So we left and returned about an hour later. Thankfully, our room was ready and check-in was a breeze. We had a two bedroom suite which was great being that we have two young children.
The water park and pool were really nice. It was of course crowded, but the kids really enjoyed it. The hotel itself is very family friendly. We enjoyed the magic show they had that evening. It was really nice to have something to do with the kids.
We did find the beds to be uncomfortable. Neither my husband nor I slept very well.
We found the breakfast buffet to be really good. The service was great and the food was really good.
The location of the hotel was great. We found the hotel to be clean and well appointed. We would definitely return to this hotel!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Hi SunshineNJ! We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience at our hotel with the online community. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and our restaurant, but I'm surprised to read you and your husband found our beds uncomfortable!!! One of the things DoubleTree is proud of is the Sweet Dreams bedding. If you have a few minutes, please reach out to me and we can talk about what our housekeeping team may be able to do for you on your next visit, to make your nights a little more comfortable. Kristin O'Connor, Guest Relations; (717) 464-7503, koconnor@willowval.com
Reisterstown, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

We like this hotel for it's location, children's pool - playground, cleanliness and nice front desk service, but few features can really spoil the experience of staying in this place.
a) I DON"T UNDERSTAND why all Doubletree hotels has their windows locked up??? I just feel suffocating in the room with closed windows (I can't even imagine how asthmatic people feel in there). The only means of air circulation is HAC unit, so there is no way fresh air gets into the room and air feels stuffy and musty. But when you turn it on it creates another problem: ether warm or cold air blows so strongly that you can't even sit at the desk under the drift it blows. After even one shower taken the whole room feels dump and the windows just "leaking" from condensation of the water, which eventually will bring mildew. Besides, hotels would benefit from savings on electricity bills if they would give many people like me the option to use the open (at least few inches) window instead of HAC. So please, management, OPEN UP YOUR WINDOWS!
b) This hotel has 2 wonderful swimming pools, BUT has no hooks or bars in the bathrooms to hang the wet swimwear to dry up. Does it make sense to you? No it doesn't to me.
c) We visited the 24 cafe 3 times. All 3 times we experienced BAD, slow, inattentive and annoying service. The breakfast buffet food was not better then the service (meaning looked good but tasted bad). We had it for free (HHonors members), but if I had to pay around $13 for that it would be greatly disappointing. Before demolition of Willow Valley Inn Smorgasboard patrons at least had this inexpressive and better tasting choice, now if they don't improve you better go somewhere else (like McDonald across the stress).
d) And finally warning to all light sleepers: Bring your earplugs, because the walls are paper thin and you will hear every noise from your neighbors.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post on TripAdvisor. I'd like to respond to each of your points and hopefully have the opportunity to speak with you personally. Our hotel windows do not open for the safety and security of our guests. You will find many hotels, not just DoubleTree's, do not open their windows for the very same reason. Our guest room bathrooms do have hooks behind the bathroom door for towels, bathing suits etc. Please let me know what room number you were in so we can make sure to replace it. I would appreciate you letting me know what about the breakfast buffet was so bad. Was it the cooked to order omelets? Pastries? Fruits and yogurts? A few specifics will help us better our quality of food. Finally, when you are reserving a room in the future, please note to the reservationist that you would like a quiet area. We may have the ability to put your room in an area with less commotion, less children and thus giving you a better experience.

Thank you in advance for reaching out to me so we can talk through some of these issues and our team can work to make your next trip - hopefully - a better experience. Kristin O'Connor, Guest Relations, (717) 464-7503, koconnor@willowval.com
Middletown, Delaware, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

My daughter and I needed a few days of relaxing and shopping. The hotel was perfect for that. Our room was clean and nicely furnished. The pool was a nice treat at night and the gym was a good way to get the day going. The restaurant staff was very friendly. I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Kristin O, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Hotel Lancaster, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Thank you, Janet, for staying with us and your valued recommendation. We look forward to serving you again in the future. Kristin O'Connor, Guest Relations; (717) 464-7503, koconnor@willowval.com
Fairfax, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We started off looking for a simple, affordable place to stay near Harrisburg or Hershey, but found this Doubletree -- still affordable, but offering much more than we anticipated. The kids loved the indoor pool and indoor water park, as well as the free magic show at night. There's also a crafts room and other activities throughout the day. The restaurant was able to handle a large to-go order quickly and offered a nice breakfast buffet the next morning. The suites met our sleeping arrangements perfectly. If we go during the summer next time, we could use the 9-hole golf course and/or basketball courts.

Unfortunately, only one person in our family of four slept well the night we were there. The heating/AC system sounded like it was on it's last legs, wheezing through the night. The air was incredible dry (I realize it's winter and the weather gets that way, but I don't remember it being as much of an issue in other hotels). And the TVs in rooms keep a very bright light on, even when the TV is turned off. The light is bright enough to illuminate the room, necessitating someone to either unplug the TV or cover it with something.

We'll definitely give the hotel another chance -- it's got too much going for it to allow one night's bad sleep to outweigh the positives.

Room Tip: Third-floor rooms are on the lobby-level. If you're on that floor, make sure you get far from th...