“Great family resort, terrible restaurant” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
2x Points Package
Ranked #9 of 38 Hotels in Lancaster
Bridgewater, New Jersey
“Great family resort, terrible restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

This hotel is excellent for families as it has a fantastic indoor water park and pool as well as kids activites. The room was clean although we found a sippy cup near the bed from a previous guest. The location is kind of out of the way from most of the major attractions so bring your GPS to get around. I would not recommend the hotel restaurant as we waited 20 minutes for a table only to be ignored by the wait staff for another 20 minutes until we walked out. It is also sad that the owners of this hotel decided to close the popular Willow Valley resort which adjoins this property in favor of retail stores.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
WillowValley, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Hotel Lancaster, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you for staying with us recently. I'm sorry the service in our restaurant was so poor you actually left. I'll be reviewing your experience with our restaurant manager today. We hope that will visit with us again soon; the DoubleTree by Hilton Lancaster is owned and operated by the Thomas family and Willow Valley Associates. While our older property - Willow Valley Inn & Suites - is now closed, the Thomas family and traditions are still very much alive at DoubleTree Lancaster. Happy New Year! Kristin O'Connor, Guest Relations; koconnor@willowval.com, 717-464-7503

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Raleigh,NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We traveled to Lancaster Christmas morning. I called the hotel early in the morning to see if our room might be ready before 4pm check in. It was indeed ready at 10:30am when we arrived. We had a 2 room suite (#3030) right next to our friends we were meeting up with (they were in 3028). Our room was next to a hall that led to some sort of closet so it seems our room was bigger than theirs. Room was very clean and everything was in working order. The pillows were very very very soft and your head sinks down in them. We like firmer pillows but dealt with these for one night.
We had our 8 year old daughter with us and were called a few weeks in advance about the water play area being closed. They did maintenance to it from Dec. 16-26. For the life of me I don't know why they didn't start it a few days earlier so it would be done for the holiday when everything else in Lancaster was closed and kids would have something to do (the hotel didn't have any activities planned for Christmas day besides something later in the evening). The pool was open and kept the kids entertained for 2 hours.
The reason I docked the review a point was the food. We ordered food from the bar (only restaurant open at lunchtime on Christmas day) and waited in the bar over 25 minutes from when we ordered our food until we got it. We got two orders of chicken wings that were not fried very well (They were rubbery) and have no flavor. The pretzels and fries had some flavor. The morning of the 26th we went to the breakfast buffet. Good service, decent price but anything made on site (eggs, bacon, ect) had no flavor. The pastries, fruit and yogurt brought in were fine.
My husband left his laptop in the room when we left. A few hours later we received a phone call from the front desk letting us know. Since we were trying to drive through a snow storm we didn't want to turn around and go get it. They shipped it overnight Fedex (we asked for overnight, they ship things FedEx) at our expense and it was carefully packaged. All the staff we interacted with (besides bartender in bar when ordering food, she ignored us for 25 minutes and there were only 3 other people/one group in the bar) were amazing.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us on Christmas. We hope you had a wonderful holiday season and wish you and your family a happy new year. I'll be sure to pass along your comments to our Restaurant Manager and our Executive Chef as the service you received is not acceptable. Thank you for sharing and if there is anything I can do for you, please let me know: Kristin O'Connor, Guest Relations; koconnor@willowval.com, 717-464-7503
North Brunswick, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

My largish family really had a great time at this facility. The staff were very friendly, the walnut cookies at check-in were tasty, and the room was clean and comfortable. No issues with comfort or noise, we slept just fine. I was impressed with the various activities that were planned over the weekend - movies for kids, Bingo for adults - but if you ask my kids, this wasn't the highlight...

For a December 'mini-vacation', we really wanted a facility with an indoor pool... and this place delivered. The pool rooms were nice and steamy, and the water itself was warm... just perfect for cold December evenings. The water slide was awesome and saw much action from my gang. Both evenings we were there, there was a lifeguard on duty making sure that kids took turns appropriately and weren't too much crazy . The rest of the water playground was nice as well; it was geared towards younger kids. Another reviewer noted that he felt it too crowded. The nights we were there - busy Thursday and Friday nights - I didn't feel this way at all. Sure, there were plenty of kids there, but in my opinion it made the experience more fun. And as far as I could tell, the other pool was less crowded for those looking to get away from all the kids.

My one wish - and perhaps I'm being greedy - is that some sort of continental breakfast would be included. While there are seemingly many top notch breakfast places in the Lancaster area, it would have been nice to eat onsite one day. We ended up not trying it, as the prices on the room service door hanger scared us away.

Overall this was a very good value, and there is a high likelihood that we would return as the pool is such a winner.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us for your December mini-vacation! Kids always love our indoor water playground and I'm happy to read with didn't disappoint with your family. We hope you'll stay with us again in the future and take advantage of our Bed & Breakfast package and enjoy our breakfast buffet in the restaurant. I'm sure, that too, will not disappoint! Kristin O'Connor, Guest Relations; koconnor@willowval.com, 717-464-7503
East Brusnwick, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We had a great time. My daughter and her husband arrived quite late, but the staff knew they were "checked in" and provided the keys etc.

The staff was friendly and switched my room when I asked for an outside, rather than inside room). My son in law and daughter used both the pool and the fitness center, and we spent a quiet evening at the bar as well as breakfast and lunch both days.

We had two rooms (beside each other). Even though we were beside the ice machine and the elevator, the rooms were very quiet. Internet and TV were great as well.

My parents live in Willow Valley, so we could not ask for a better location. And the price was great!

Room Tip: The interior rooms face an atrium which may or may not have an affair going on. I did switch to an...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your experience with us on TripAdvisor and staying with us while visiting your parents at the Willow Valley retirement community. We look forward to your next visit! Kristin O'Connor, Guest Relations; koconnor@willowval.com, 717-464-7503
Smithville, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

My husband booked the room as a surprise for my son and I who were heading to Lancaster for a quick trip before Christmas. He couldn't have picked a better place. The staff was so friendly and knowledgable! Plus who doesn't want warm, delicious cookies apon arrival? We had a suite with 2 rooms (which made my 11 year old feel like a king) and they were clean, comfortable and promoted a great nights sleep. We also did the breakfast buffet. French toast, omlets, sausage, bacon, bagels, cereal, fresh fruit, yogurt, danish/donuts, etc-I am sure everyone would find something they liked to eat. I wish I knew her name but there was an older lady who was hostess at the buffet and she could not have been sweeter. As we were leaving, Matthew wished everyone a Merry Christmas and she just hugged him! It's a little off the beaten path, but with a gps- everything was easy to get to and find! Plus again, the staff helped us out with many suggestions of great things to do1 I highly recommend this hotel and it's staff!!!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your glowing review! We hope you had a wonderful holiday and look forward to serving you again soon. Kristin O'Connor, Guest Relations; koconnor@willowval.com, 717-464-7503
Edison, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

Stayed there for a night during our weekend trip to Lancaster. We were welcomed with nice hot cookies and check in was smooth. Very clean room, all the amenities that one can expect at world class resort. We didn’t get a chance to enjoy pool and the onsite restaurant, but they looked very nice, too. Our was king bed with whirlpool bath. It was big room with sofa and other furniture and a flat screen LCD.
Close to the shopping mall and outlets, sight-n-sound Theater, dutch wonderland and other local attractions. McDonald, Taco Bell and CVS were like in “walking” distance.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us last month. I hope during your next visit to Lancaster you'll be able to spend more time at our resort and enjoy the pools and restaurant. Kristin O'Connor, Guest Relations; koconnor@willowval.com, 717-464-7503
NJ, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

I was a bit wary about this place because I was staying alone, and the majority of good reviews were from families with children, but I was actually very pleasantly surprised. The hotel's in the middle of nowhere, so if you're looking to be able to walk to the Lancaster city center, you're at a bit of a loss (that said, I went to college in Lancaster and came here this weekend to visit friends in New Holland, so I'm not terribly fussed about being far away from things), but this is actually an asset, as the hotel is about as nice as the Best Western Eden Resorts and almost as nice as the Marriott across from Central Market for about half the price.

I came here around Christmas time, and the hotel was decorated from the outside with Christmas lights, but very tastefully and elegantly--not at all cheesy (I am very picky when it comes to Christmas decorations, so this is saying something). The concierge was very bright and friendly when I checked in at 7:30pm on a Saturday night. She gave me my warm chocolate and walnut cookie (which was delicious) and told me how to get to my room, which was on the fifth floor (Pro-tip: if you're looking for quiet, the fifth floor is the way to go. I barely heard a peep from outside the whole time I was here, whereas the hustle and bustle on the second floor would have woken anyone in any of those rooms up). I had gotten one of the jacuzzi rooms for all of $107 plus tax, and while the jacuzzi was on the small side, the room was huge and clean, with a couch, a clean and comfortable king sized bed, a decent sized mini fridge, a coffee maker and clock radio where I could plug in my iPod. Plus, the thermostat was adjustable, which was a nice touch, and the bath towels were the largest I've ever seen in a hotel room. The room overlooked the terrace, which may have been a liability on an event weekend but was beautiful to look at on this party-free night.

The water playground was closed for maintenance (which didn't bother me, as I'm too old to use it and was warned both by the website and by phone long in advance), but the pool was open and huge for an indoor hotel pool, with lap lanes about the same length as the ones at my local New York Sports Club. The pool was maybe a little over-chlorinated, but it was heated, and I needed less than 30 seconds to get used to the water temperature. Also, there are plenty of lounge chairs around the exterior for people who don't feel like swimming. The fitness center and video arcade overlook the pool, and while the arcade was nothing to write home about, the fitness center looked very good for a hotel gym, with plenty of modern-looking machines, free weights, and exercise balls. Compared to the single treadmill and rack of free weights you'd get at most hotel gyms, this one was gigantic.

For the most part, the staff was very good. I was having some trouble with my jacuzzi, and the front desk staff immediately offered me late checkout while they sent maintenance up to look at it. The maintenance man arrived within two minutes of me getting back upstairs, and helped me immediately (it was a stupid mistake on my part--I had turned on the on button but neglected to set the wall timer) and was very sweet and friendly about it.

The only--I swear, only--reason I've given this place 4 stars instead of 5 is the breakfast. Breakfast itself, while not included, is not terribly expensive, and the food is fine if not terribly elaborate--highlights are the made-to-order omelets, decent bacon, delicious croissants, and tiny cups of yogurt parfait that were absolutely delightful--but the service was terrible. I came in feeling really thirsty, and it took a really long time for my waitress to acknowledge me, and there were waiters and waitresses looking right at me without bothering to ask if I needed anything. Once I finally got my water, it was a chore to get refills (though one other waiter did take pity on me and get me one while my waitress blatantly ignored me), though they put the check on my table almost immediately, leaving other people in the restaurant to believe I'd left anytime I went back into the buffet area.

However, this was an anomaly, and it's possible it was just this one waitress. Again, other than breakfast, this hotel was great, and if your priority isn't being close to the city center, definitely worth paying the lower cost to stay here instead of one of the higher profile, more expensive yet not necessarily nicer hotels in the Lancaster city area.

Room Tip: Stay on the fifth floor if possible--much quieter. Also, shell out the extra $10 for a jacuzzi room...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for staying with us RunnerOnlce, and sharing your wonderful review. I'm sorry to read the service in our Cafe 24 Hundred was so slow. I will certainly pass your review along to our restaurant manager. I hope you will stay with us again when you visit friends in New Holland, or anywhere in our beautiful city. If there is anything I can help you with, please let me know: Kristin O'Connor, Guest Relations; koconnor@willowval.com, 717-464-7503

Been to DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Hotel Lancaster? Share your experiences!