“great hotel-take advantage of it” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
2x Points Package
Ranked #8 of 38 Hotels in Lancaster
New York City, New York
“great hotel-take advantage of it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

The hotel is very good-nice, big and comfy rooms. great pool+little water park. we spend a family gateway on the thanksgiving weekend. the hotel was full with families, but there weren't kids TV stations. the price was high(160+tax), but we took advantage of the hotel's facilities, so it's worth it. The staff was very professional and friendly. they let us free late check out with no problem.bottom line-good value, if you use the amenities.

Room Tip: go to the pool
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
WillowValley, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Hotel Lancaster, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Thank you for your review of our property. I'm happy to read you enjoyed your stay and all of our amenities. Hope you are able to join us again soon. Kristin O'Connor, Guest Relations; 717-464-7503, koconnor@willowval.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Burlington, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

The pool area should open before 10am. Breakfast should be included for the price of the hotel.
Other than that, a great place to stay. Kids loved the pool and water park area. Staff was friendly. At times the internet was unreliable.

Room Tip: It was great to have a 2 room suite on a longer trip. The kids get one to themselves.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review of our property. I'm happy to report that our pools open at 9am now, and we are in the process of upgrading our wireless internet so service is more reliable. Breakfast, as a Hilton standard, is included for gold and diamond HHonors members. We also always have a breakfast package available to our guests. I hope you'll visit with us again soon! Kristin O'Connor, Guest Relations; 717-464-7503, koconnor@willowval.com
Virginia Beach, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We often stay in or near Lancaster with my two boys who are 13 and 10. We chose this hotel to try something different. The room was clean and adequate although it had a musty smell. This property is located on a nice 9 hole golf course. The only issue I had with this Hotel is there is a lot of kids. While I don't mind kids, it was an unruly kid convention it seemed. This Hotel has a Huge indoor pool, water park, and small video arcade so it offers something for kids to do indoors. Perhaps that is why there were so many kids. The doors to the rooms also slam very hard making a loud noise and I had to wear ear plugs to sleep because unruly parents and kids were in and out 8 to 10 times per minute. I did call the front desk who sent the security however, they did nothing to quiet the kids even though it was 11:00 pm. In conclusion, we will not return due to the loudness of the property. I prefer the Lancaster Marriott.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
WillowValley, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Hotel Lancaster, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you for giving us a try and we hope you will stay with us again in the future. When time permits, please contact me so I can gather some details about your stay and work with appropriate teams to make sure all our guests have a pleasant stay. I can also let you know some times when our hotel expects lots of children, and other times when we don't! Kristin O'Connor, Guest Relations; koconnor@willowval.com, 717-464-7503
Altoona, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

We booked a last minute reservation to leave a hotel that had not reached our expectations. We were so delighted to receive cookies upon check in and to see the absolutely beautiful facility. Our room was immaculate! The bathroom was extremely clean, and we felt very comfortable in the room. The indoor pool was very nice, but extremely crowded and loud (I think there was a soccer tournament that weekend), so we didn't get to really experience it with our 2 year old because he was afraid of the kids running around and the noise. There a few things for guests to consider when booking a room. If it's a weekend and you like peace and quiet, don't book a room adjoining the inner courtyard. There was a wedding backed with an event breakfast and the noise was extremely irritating, especially since my son is a light sleeper. Also, I wasn't aware that we could get room service or breakfast! We ordered "take-out" from the Cafe and the food was pretty good, but also expensive. I loved the "sweet shop" for snacks and drinks. Having stayed once to find out the little things to make our experience better next time, we will definitely have an even better stay! Staff was extraordinary! Every staff member we encountered was professional, kind and helpful. I also loved that this hotel is located fairly close to restaurants and shopping. Overall, I love this hotel and I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms that overlook the courtyard.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us recently and sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor community. If you have any further questions about future stays, please let me know. Our team is here to make your stay as wonderful as possible! Kristin O'Connor, Guest Relations; koconnor@willowval.com, 717-464-7503
Chicopee, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

I drove 6 hours with my family to visit Sight and Sound Theater in Lancaster, PA. I had several nice options in hotels for this weekend. My primary reason for choosing this one was for the kids indoor pool area. We are planning to come back to visit the theater again... We will not be staying here again. The kids pool area from far away looks very nice, but it was over chlorinated, it was dirty, looks yellow/mildew. Having only a weekend to explore this beautiful area, our day was busy exploring. We would look forward to a peaceful, quiet, comfortable goodnight sleep to get us ready for the next day... NO!!! To our terrible disadvantage our room was facing their interior banquet room/meeting room... We were unable to get any sleep. There was a wedding on Friday & Saturday!! On Saturday it was louder than being at a night club, loud! Until 10:30. Early in the morning the staff is taking apart everything from the night before preparing very early for some other event Early in the morning!!!!! so if you thought, ok music and screaming is over, i can at least sleep in a bit; yeah right! not here!!!I had per ordered chocolate covered strawberries so that we can have them in the room for when we arrived... We got to the hotel and they never got the order ready for us. One detail I thought was nice when I read it on the website when making my reservation was the warm chocolate chip cookies... Unable to enjoy, my son is allergic to nuts and they were chocolate chip WITH walnuts cookies, therefore; another thing we couldn't enjoy. The only thing I liked was that the rooms were clean, thank God! Would not stay here again, just not worth the money.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
WillowValley, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Hotel Lancaster, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Hi Brenda! Thank you for choosing our facility for your recent trip to Sight & Sound. I want to first start with a sincere apology for the poor experience you had while staying at our DoubleTree and I would like to speak with you personally regarding your stay.

In the meantime, I'd like to publicly address some of the issues you encountered: The chemicals in our indoor water playground are monitored 24/7. The chlorine system is actually a sand system and may have given you the appearance that the pool was dirty. We vacuum the pool daily, but it seems we did not do that while you were here. We'll certainly follow up with our maintenance team to make sure that is not overlooked in the future.

Music and sound systems used during events in our Palm Court are all turned off by 10 pm. However, event guests do not always immediately vacate that area. We suggest to anyone looking for a bedtime prior to 10pm, request a room with an outside view.

I spoke with our Assistant General Manager regarding your chocolate covered strawberries, and I understand that mistake was taken care of on the night of your arrival and you were credited accordingly.

Finally, the recipe for the DoubleTree cookies includes walnuts and our website notes that. We recognize there are many people with nut allergies and we have a "gift box" at our desk. I understand your son picked a special treat from that box because he could not have the DoubleTree cookie. I hope he enjoyed it!

As I mentioned before, I'd be happy to speak with you further regarding your stay and hopefully work to make your next visit to Lancaster more enjoyable. When time permits, please contact me: Kristin O'Connor, Guest Relations; (717) 464-7503, koconnor@willowval.com
Huntington, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

With a Doubletree Resort hotel set in Lancaster, I was expecting a modern hotel with clean, updated common areas & rooms. The service & staff was great, as was the restaurant. The "Bed & Breakfast" deal was especially a good value, and included an omelet station, and lots of fresh fruit. However I was less than blown-away with our room: the basic room with double queen beds seemed small, and showed moderate wear & tear (stains on carpet, chipped bathroom tiles, etc.); worse than that, instead of an outdoor window we were booked in an interior room overlooking the hotel's 2nd floor banquet hall, and a full-on wedding reception with a DJ pumping loud club music kept us up most of our 2nd night. We did receive a partial credit on our 2nd nite stay with little resistance from the front desk staff, who was very nice to us but didn't seem surprised about this issue. Based on the location, the time of year and what we paid for our stay, overall it was just an OK stay. I was expecting more from a modern hotel chain like DoubleTree, next time we will most-likely stay at a hotel that's more consistent with the Lancaster landscape, such as a well-rated bed-and-breakfast or a resort like the nearby Willow Valley Inn & Resort where we stayed last year, but unfortunately may be closing at the end of this month.

Room Tip: If staying at this DoubleTree location, make sure to ask for an outer perimeter room with an outdoor...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
WillowValley, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Hotel Lancaster, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Thank you for staying with us, Dave. We appreciate your comments and hope you'll stay with us again next year. When making your reservation, we suggest requesting a room with an outside view. While we have standards in place for large events and weddings in our Palm Court, some guests prefer to be away from the activity. Events are required to end by 10 pm, and our staff is equipped with a meter to check the volume and make sure it's within an acceptable level. We are truly sorry your stay was only "ok" because of this event.

Willow Valley Inn & Suites closed on November 12, but I'm happy to tell you that the same family who owned Willow Valley, the Thomas', also own and operate the DoubleTree Lancaster. I'm happy to speak with you further about your stay, and clarify anything about all the changes our hotels have experienced the last few years. Kristin O'Connor, Guest Relations; koconnor@willowval.com, 717-464-7503
West Conshohocken, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Like to actually get some sleep when staying at a hotel?

If you do then make sure that you get a room that does not face the interior meeting/banquet space here. Because if you are so "lucky" as to get one of those rooms you will possibly be subjected to such great things as having a wedding with very loud club music going on until after 10:30pm.

And then you can forget about sleeping in the next morning since the staff will be banging around tables and chairs by 8 since there will be a full church service starting at 9 in the same space.

Let's not forget to add in the over chlorinated pool or the lighter we found in plain sight in our room (this is a non-smoking hotel, right? and kudos to the housekeeper who clearly didn't do their job by leaving it there in the first place) and you get a less then desirable stay that will pretty much put the nail in the coffin in terms of us ever coming back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
WillowValley, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Hotel Lancaster, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you Lefty33 for giving us the opportunity to serve you this month. We clearly did not meet your expectations, nor did we meet our expectations. The events in Palm Court are given an ending time of 10pm. I'll certainly look in to why the event during your stay went until 10:30. Guests can always request an outside room if they wish. As for the lighter in your room, you are correct, we are a non-smoking hotel, but guests are permitted to smoke on our grounds. I'm sure the housekeeper did not want to discard what she believed to be your lighter. I would be happy to speak with you further regarding your recent visit and can be reached at: Kristin O'Connor, Guest Relations; (717) 464-7503, koconnor@willowval.com

Been to DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Hotel Lancaster? Share your experiences!