“Mostly a great hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“Mostly a great hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

Great rooms and nice staff. Pool is awesome for kids. They also have craft time for kids for a few dollars.A/C was so loud every time it starts that it wakes you up. Cafe 24 is terrible though. Food over priced and was small quanities and very tasteless. They need a new menu, new chef and servers that actually help you instead of stand around and talk. It was very very slow and it almost empty. Now I know why. Overall very nice place to stay with kids. They loved it - plenty for them to do.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Montgomery Village, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

We (husband, self and 3 year old daughter) stayed at the DoubleTree on a recent visit to Dutch Wonderland. The hotel was very nice and the room was very comfortable. We received warm cookies upon check-in that were out of this world (but they did have nuts for anyone with allergies). The staff was friendly and courteous. We had a room facing the exterior so the atrium noise that other reviewed about was not a factor for us. We had a 2 bedroom suite and guest services brought us bed rails so that my daughter could sleep in the queen size by herself, which she LOVED.
The children's pool was amazing and I thought that my daughter would never want to leave. It got crowded later in the evening, but it was a huge hit. The water had a funny smell and the floor was slippery, but neither factor outweighed all the fun we had there.
They even offer crafts for kids in the evening. I naively expected this to be free. We ended up paying $6 for my daughter to make her own travel pillow.
The restaurant in the hotel was nice (cafe 24 hundred). We had the buffet breakfast there both mornings, it was free for the kids and offered kid friendly food. We did have dinner at the neighboring hotel restaurant (Willow Tree Inn) on our first night and found it blah. The cost was considerably cheaper than the dinner at Cafe 24 Hundred, but you get the quality you pay for. Needless to say we had an amazing dinner the next night at the DoubleTree Cafe 24 Hundred. They had a hot dogtapus on the menu which is now my daughters favorite thing (hot dog sliced and cooked so that the slices curl up and make something similar to octopus tentacles).
The Willow Tree Inn has a fabulous bakery with great daily deals. There is also a nice duck pond and playground and when we were there a corn maze too! We had a great time and highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Stay in exterior side room for less atrium noise, especially if you have kids that go to bed early
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

Many people here have talked about the fact that they were kept awake and bothered by the noisy weddings held in the hotel and that the staff did nothing to fix the problem.

I noticed that the assistant manager of the hotel responded several times with some lame kind of excuse.

Having booked this hotel for an upcoming trip, I tried to contact this assistant manager before our stay, asking her for name and leaving 2 voicemails on her personal voicemail box, and sending her one email.

So far I have never heard back from her.

Here is a hint for customer service: Try to solve the problem before the customer complains about it, instead of offering some lame excuse after it happens. And try to respond to customers who take the time to contact you about their stay,

Room Tip: Not happy with my booking experience.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Dory H, General Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Hotel Lancaster, responded to this review, August 28, 2011
Dear Nifty,
I just thought your comment should have a little clarification as your post didn't include all the information. As the general manager, it is very important for me to hear from customers. I certainly appreciate the feedback and it is really used to make changes in the operation so that our guests have the most comfortable stay possible.
We do respond to guests as quickly as possible, however you left a voicemail on the two days that my assistant was out of the office. When I received your call I answered the phone and spoke with you in person. I explained the reason your call was not returned, offered all the information you needed even explained about Expedia offering the waiver on cancellations. You have been in direct contact with Lisa several times the past two day, she responded to several of your emails during all your changes due to the hurricane. Lisa was personally watching your reservation with the changes to make sure you receive the requested room. This done before she saw your post today. She certainly wants you, as well as all our guests to have the best possible experience.
I hope that you are able to make the trip and enjoy your visit with us at the DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Lancaster PA.
CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

We stayed at this hotel from August 14, 2011 to August 16,2011. We originally had reservations at the Willow Valley Inn next door and arrived there early (about 2pm). We went inside to inquire if there was a room ready because we drove 5 hours and our children were sleeping in the car. Upon walking in to the Willow Valley resort there was a man at the front desk who was so rude and sarcastic and lacked customer service skills. He said we couldn't have a room till 4pm and that he wouldn't keep checking for us unless we kept checking back. His rude and sarcastic attitude was enough for us to walk out after waiting another hour.As we saw that everyone was being treated that way, we decided not to stay there and went next door to the DoubleTree Resort.
That was the best move!! My husband walked into the double tree and was greeted by the front desk staff and Lisa the manager. He explained our story to her and she not only was amazingly pleasant but booked us a suite for our family, matched the rate we would of gotten next door, got us in our room within 20 minutes and to top it off gave us delicious warm cookies!! They staff there all smiled, were pleasant and helpful. They waited on us hand and foot and the housekeeping staff were singing and smiling as they cleaned! Guest services helped us find activities to do and even printed out directions for us! The pool and jacuzzi were great and my kids LOVED the indoor water playground which is in DoubleTree even though Willow Valley advertises it like if its in their hotel. Cafe 24 was great and we even got a coupon for free dinner for 2 one night. The hotel smelled clean and the room was great. They help change our mood and we really enjoyed our stay there. We will be staying there again and would recommend this hotel!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Dory H, General Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Hotel Lancaster, responded to this review, August 24, 2011
Dear BiBi89 - Thank you so much for taking the time to share your story. I'm very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at the DoubleTree Resort by Hilton. Thank you for the praise of the DoubleTree team, we are building a great team and it was wonderful to read this in your review.
Thank you for being our guest, and I look forward to meeting you on your next stay.
Dory
Broooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

My family & I decided to plan a last minute get-away to Lancaster, PA. My two teens, my husband & I stayed August 15 to August 21. In the past we stayed at the Best Western Eden Resort, however, they were completely booked. Using the reviews from Tripadvisor , i decided to give the DoubleeTree Resort by Hilton in Lancadter. This newly renovated property is a part of the Willow Valley group. Initially, I tried to book our stay through the hotles website but there were no rooms available. Oddly enough when I checked other travel websites (orbitz, travelocity, hotels.com, etc) I found rooms available. I had some frequent flyer miles available so I booked the fitst night through United's Mileage Plus Eventually I booked five additional nights in a room containing teo queen beds & a pull-out sleeoer sofa, through AAA of NY (which had the best rate available).
The day before our arrival, I noticed an error on the confirmation from the Mileage Plus
program. For some reason, only three people were listed on the confirmation, putting us in a room with just two beds. i tried to rectify the situation through United, however, the department I needed to dpeak with wouldn't be opened until Monday (the day of our arrival), so I called the hotel. I was pleasantly greeted by Nora. I explained my situation and she assured me she would resolve the issue on her end, and that she would be at the front desk upon our arrival.
When we arrived the next day, we were impressed with the beautiful lobby. As i approached the front desk, I was warmly greeted by Nora! As soon as I told her my name she immeadialtely remembered our conversation and nformed me that we would be stayingall 6 nights in the room type we requested, with a nice view. She also told about the many activities and amenities that were available to all hotel quests. She also provided us with information about the surrounding area. We were thrilled with the room and the view was amazing! We were on the 5th floor overlooking a pond with a beautiful willow tree situated on the golf course, with the corn fileds in the background!
Once we were situated in our room, we explored the hotel. We noticed how clean the entire property was. There are 2 iice very nndoor pools, one of which is more of a water playground, and a large jacuzzi. in the same area, is a nice gym, that happens to free to all guests and is opened 24 hours a day. There is a laundry room available. There ar ice machines on all floors. There is anactivity center for children with adult supervision. Cafe 24 is the restaraunt where we ate a wonderful breakfast every morning. You can also have lunch, dinner, snacks and cocktails if you'd like. If you have breakfast, be sure to say "Hi!" to Pat. She was our server on more than one morning aand always remembered what we wanted to drink. She was always pleasant and was sure to greet us even if she was not our server.
The hotle offers free three hour tours of the amish country side to all guests (reservations are required). My daughter and I took advantage of this and we were escorted by Bob. He shared his wealth of knowleknowledge about amish life and the menonites. We visited Bird-in-hand market place, then Kitchen Kettle Village, tehn the Hayloft Candles. All while driving through the beautiful amish country side, as Bob explained every detail of the places we were driving through.
We also took advantage of the discounted tickets to Hershey Park that we bought directly through the hotel. We saved $10 a ticket, not mention the time we saved not having tostand in line at Hershey. We were able to walk right in!
This place is wonderful and should not be missed!!! Initially, it may seem expensive but so much is included it is worth every penny!!! We will be back!!!!

Glen Cove
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

We recently stayed at the DoubleTree Resort by Hilton, Lancaster when visiting the Lancaster area and Dutch Wonderland. This hotel was very kid friendly. My boys (ages 4 and 6) LOVED the indoor water playground and pool!! Rooms are spacious and clean and I loved the Crabtree and Evelyn amenities. The only issue (and it was a small one) was that our room overlooked the grand ballroom. We stayed over on a Saturday night and the ballroom was rented out for a wedding. The noise from the festivities could be heard by all but thankfully the event ended by 9:30PM so no one was kept up later than usual. Would definitely come back to this hotel again!!

CT
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

We had booked 2 rooms through Priceline, at 10pm on the 21st, for arriving on the 22nd. When we arrived at the hotel we were told our reservations were booked for arriving on the 21st and the hotel was sold out. Lisa said there was nothing she could do. Would not even call priceline to help straighten things out. She is rude and I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. We went to the hotel next door (Willow Valley Inn), were Loren waited on us. She called Priceline and tried to fix the mistake. She also put my husband on the phone. She then went to her manager and explained what happened. The were willing to help us, and even gave us a nice discount on the room. So if you want great service choose Willow Valley Inn.

Room Tip: If you are looking for bad service Doubletree is your hotel.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Hotel Lancaster? Share your experiences!