“Excellent in many ways but lacking in others ....” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cork Factory Hotel

Save Saved
You added Cork Factory Hotel to your Saves list
Cork Factory Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   480 New Holland Avenue, Suite 3000, Lancaster, PA 17602   |
Ranked #14 of 38 Hotels in Lancaster
Boston, MA
“Excellent in many ways but lacking in others ....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I give the Cork Factory an A+ for design, cleanliness, helpfulness of staff and comfort of beds. The continental breakfast was more than adequate and free WiFi and parking were most welcome.

BUT ... whoever designed the in-room electrical should go back to school. The lamps have no switches on them. they are controlled my the wall switch at the door. If you want to read in bed you need to get up and walk across the room to turn off the light. There are other outlets controlled by the same switch. Make sure you electronics are still charging when you turn out the lights.

And why is everything a secret? I understand a huge directory of amenities could be considered "not green" but surely a one page directory is doable? The emergency exit map on My door showed "vending" but when I went looking for ice and a soda I couldn't find it. A front desk query revealed it was on another floor. I also had to ask where the fitness room was located. And I may have gone to the restaurant if I had seen a menu. But I had to search for it on the web where I also found very mixed reviews so l gave it a pass. In all honesty , after a long day of travelling if I had seen menu items I like, I would have gone without checking reviews.

Nonetheless, overall it was a pleasant experience.

Also .. no pool or kid activities but some how those got checked and I cannot uncheck them.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Arlington, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

We come to Lancaster frequently and thought to try the Cork Factory Hotel. Our room on the ground floor was very noisy, both from the other guests, who have no idea that their voices were so loud and traveled so far, and from the thin walls and loud plumbing from the other rooms and floors. There is no soundproofing in this building, so everything is heard by the neighboring rooms, and from the hallways.
The room itself was large and comfortable, though only one side of the bed had a night table. Head lights from parking cars are also a problem, if your room is on the ground floor. The heating/AC was quite noisy when it turned-on, which woke us up a few times. The bathroom is on the dark side, with dark tiles in the shower and on the floor. There are the usual basic, natural bath products, but no robes.
The hotel offers a nice continental breakfast, and their restaurant serves a fine lunch and dinner. We encountered staff who were very helpful and others who seemed not to care. On the weekend we arrived, it was difficult to park, because there was a function at the hotel. Be careful about parking in the off-limits spaces of the other buildings in the area.
Would I stay here again, I might, if I could get a room with a better location. The historic structure is interesting, and you can walk to the Central Market and main part of town easily, if you enjoy exploring the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor, which might be quieter.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

We came here for a friends wedding and we had a wonderful time. The staff did a great job setting up for this beautiful event. The building is amazing!
You could definitely here the sounds from outside but the rooms were so comfortable that it hardly mattered.
Everything was clean, the breakfast was great, and the beds were very comfortable.
Great experience!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Canton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Stayed here while on a tour.....old factory, historic bldg, but so well restored and maintained! Actually had a brick wall in our room from the original bldg. Rooms are huge, many amenities. Great bar and restaurant. Lancaster itself was a surprise to me....it has a great downtown, central market, good food. Most people opt for the Amish country, but spend a day exploring here.

Room Tip: Tours are notorius for getting just okay rooms, but these were exceptionally great.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Savannah, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We were early supporters of the Cork Factory and actually wrote a positive 5 star review for the hotel in June of 2011. Since our first visit we have faithfully stayed at the hotel (if there were vacancies) on all of our subsequent visits to Lancaster (we come to visit family at least 3 or 4 times a year) and really enjoy the hotel and its atmosphere. However, our last visit in December 2012 has us questioning whether we would return in the future. First of all we were placed in a room that is in an annex of the hotel and was very noisy due the the businesses nearby. Also the design was not consistent with the rest of the historic character. In the same annex there seems to be an employee breakroom nearby and there was constant coming and going from the room and it was quite noisy. In fact a male employee tried to enter our room, mistaking it for an open room-very disconcerting. The usual friendliness from the staff at the Front Desk and breakfast room was almost nonexistent. Our favorite breakfast attendant must have been off on the days we were there because we received little to no attention and the coffee and juice urns were empty. Due to an emergency back home we had to cut our stay short by a day and asked for a refund for the final night but since it was done through an internet travel site the status of the refund was unknown. I even asked if the refund could simply be applied towards our next stay as a credit for a future night at the hotel. The front desk clerk said she would try and talk to the manager about the refund/credit. In the end, I never heard back from the hotel, just the internet site I booked through saying the hotel was unwilling to refund the money. I understand it was a nonrefundable rate but I thought that since I was an obviously loyal customer they might be a little more lenient and flexible in the policies, even being willing to grant a credit for a future stay. It seems to be all about money and not customer satisfaction. We are planning on visiting Lancaster next month and eventhough we love the Cork Factory their policies on how they treat customers will have us staying at another hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Lindsey A, Manager at Cork Factory Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Guest:

Let me first thank you for your continued patronage of Cork Factory Hotel. I cannot express how much it means to our business to have happy, returning customers on a regular basis.
As for your most recent stay in December, I am truly sorry that the experience and service with which you have become accustomed at Cork Factory Hotel was not met. We do have a wing of the hotel where our designers not able to salvage enough of the original building material to maintain the charm that is presented in the rest of the hotel. While the amenities and over all design of the room is the same as in all other parts of the hotel, it is understandable that you were expecting the exposed brick and high vaulted ceilings that make Cork Factory Hotel stand out. In order to ensure that you are in one of these rooms in the future, please simply indicate that request when making your reservations.
I have spoken directly to our General Manager regarding the service, or lack thereof, that you received during our complimentary continental breakfast. During the time of your stay, we were going through some transitions with staffing, and as you can see from recent comments, we are under the impression that many of the issues you experience have been corrected.
As for the refund for your early departure, please contact me directly using the information below so I can rectify that situation. It is sometimes difficult to work with third party reservation websites to make such arrangements. As I mentioned before, we truly value our guests, especially those who choose to stay with us on a regular basis. Please feel free to reach out to me directly if you would like to discuss your stay in more detail. Thank you.

Lindsey Antonio
Group Sales
lindsey.antonio@corkfactoryhotel.com
Sales Office: 717.945.1909
Front Desk: 717.735.2075
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Beautiful repurposed factory with high beam and pipe cathedral ceilings and nice details! Spacious room and exposed brick. A little noisy by the elevator but ok. Bathroom was pretty, sundries nice---=but neighborhood area was a bit dark, parking a bit confusing because it is in an industrial park and no room service. All in all a nice experience and I would return.

Room Tip: Room by the elevator was a little noisy.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
CH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

during one business trip I wanted to try something else than a standard chain-hotel. Here I was at the Cork, for almost a week. Really impressed with the great repurposing job, well done with lots of details. My room had high ceilings, all brick walls and lots of space.
Breakfast was OK, although (here my only negative note) in a pretty dark area. I guess these are the collaterals when staying in a former cork factory!
Overall, great experience and would def. consider the hotel for my next staying in the area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to Cork Factory Hotel? Share your experiences!