“Historic and Unique” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cork Factory Hotel

You added Cork Factory Hotel to your Saves list
Cork Factory Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   480 New Holland Avenue, Suite 3000, Lancaster, PA 17602   |
Ranked #14 of 38 Hotels in Lancaster
Lebanon, New Jersey
“Historic and Unique”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Our family had planned an overnight stay in Lanacaster over the Christmas holiday. I looked into numerous hotels and as an architect the Cork Factory Hotel seemed interesting. I read the reviews and other than a lot of unfriendly staff reviews, decided to book two rooms. We arrived and were greeted by a friendly receptionist. The urban red brick building was unique and our rooms on the top (fourth_ floor were modern with a a touch of history with the exposed brick exterior wall and the high exposed timber ceilings. A truly unique hotel room experience.

Room Tip: Top Floor for the sloped timber ceilings
Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Lindsey A, Manager at Cork Factory Hotel, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear Guest --

Thank you so much for your positive review of Cork Factory Hotel. I am thrilled to hear that you were greeted warmly by our staff, and that you did not have any negative service experiences while you were our guest. Management has implemented some changes, specifically with our front desk procedures, and it is nice to know that those changes have made a positive difference in guest experience. Please keep Cork Factory Hotel in mind on your next visit to Lancaster, Pa. Thanks again!

Front Desk: 717.735.2075

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

My partner and I enjoy staying in boutique style hotels and generally expect to pay between $200-$250 per night. I selected the Cork Factory Hotel primarily from user reviews. While the experience was not a bad one, I would not likely stay here again and would not recommend this hotel to our friends or family.

Do expect the lobby to be welcoming. A large gas-fired fireplace fills the space with a warm, cozy glow and the decor is classic and modern.

Do expect the front desk staff to appear harried to get you registered and into your room. I did not find the front desk staff particularly helpful, accommodating or friendly. Just average.

Do expect the rooms to be large and bright, but the decor is lacking. The area is somewhat sterile, not very cozy, and did not include a sitting area or side chair. The room was large and included a firm, king-size bed, two night stands, a hutch to house the 30-something inch tv, and a desk in the corner. The lights on each side of the bed appeared only to be connected to a switch, with no individual on or off switch that we could find. I expected to have a room with exposed brick as seen in the images on the hotel's website, but this was not the case. Perhaps this is something that you need to inquire about when you check in, if it is important to you.

Do not expect to receive room service. While there is a restaurant on the premises, they do not provide room service.

A note on cleanliness and upkeep. While the room and bathroom were clean, the nightstands, hutch and desk all showed signs of wear--scratches and staining to wood surfaces. It made the space feel like nothing special.

Do expect an ample "Continental Breakfast" in the morning. We were surprised and pleased to find bagels, cereal, mixed danish treats, breakfast bars, yogurt, fruit, milk, juices, coffee and teas to choose from. This was a big hit with many people at the hotel.

Do expect to find a hair dryer, extra pillows and blanket in the room. There is also a mini coffee maker with two pods (one caffeinated, one decaffeinated). We skipped making coffee and headed for the real deal breakfast in the morning.

We did not make use of the restaurant on site and cannot attest to the cuisine.

Overall, this hotel has a lot of charm and may be welcomed by many, but I feel like it also has a few misses--primarily in-room ambiance. It's somewhat of a shame because the hotel is really a remarkable design.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Lindsey A, Manager at Cork Factory Hotel, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear Guest --

Thank you so much for your review of Cork Factory Hotel. I am very happy that your arrival was welcoming and enjoyable. It is true that there is a small section of the hotel, where the exposed brick walls were not salvageable from the original building. If upon your next visit, you would like to stay in one of these rooms, simply request this when making your reservation. Our designers intentionally left the decor in each guest room simple, as an homage to the historic value of the hotel. We like the tall, windows and surrounding brick buildings to create a unique ambiance that many hotels lack. I am glad that you enjoyed our complimentary continental breakfast featuring fresh homemade pastries and breads, and that you enjoyed the amenities in your room. Please feel free to contact me using the information listed below if you would like to discuss how Cork Factory Hotel can persuade you to give us another opportunity to not only meet, but exceed your expectations for your entire experience. Thank you.

Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

My wife and I had to find a hotel in Lancaster, PA for the Thanksgiving weekend. We have relatives there, but -- for the first time -- there was no room for us. So, though we know Lancaster well, we didn't know where to stay. Most Lancaster hotels are lower-end because the cater to outlet mall shoppers. And these were all booked. So we kept looking and found The Cork Factory Hotel. What a find! It is a fantastic place to stay.

It is in a historic, old factory building which has been loving and accurately restored. The outside is all original looking except for new windows. It's beautiful. But the inside is amazing. They kept as much of the old as they could, so, for instance, the old beams in the ceilings are all there, and old brick shows in many places. The decoration is warm and inviting, and the restaurant is quite beautiful. But the most gorgeous part is the bar. Don't miss it.

Along with this, the staff are friendly and helpful, the rooms are large and all brand new and have lots of windows with blinds and even windows that open.

Unlike many old buildings, it didn't feel cold or drafty.

Try the restaurant and the bar!

Room Tip: try and get a corner room; they have windows on two sides.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Lindsey A, Manager at Cork Factory Hotel, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear Guests -

I am so thrilled that your experience at Cork Factory Hotel was exactly the service for which we strive to give each and every guest. We have taken previous TripAdvisor reviews from guests that indicated they received poor customer service from some of our staff to make the necessary changes with our employees, to ensure that each guest has the experience which you just described. It is refreshing to know that we have succeeded in exceeding your expectations, and offering you an all-around pleasant and memorable experience. Please keep us in mind for your next trip to Lancaster, Pa. Thanks again!

Long Beach, New York, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

Agree with the other reviewers about the unfriendly staff, but there were only a few. The hotel is urban and modern, converse to the feel of Amish country in Lancaster. The bar was nice, we had drinks, but not the food. King size room was adequate, made spacious by the high ceilings, but was dull in decor. Lighting was not great. TV was not modern and it wouldn't hurt to put some ammeneties in the fridge. Was not overly affected by the noise factor, but clearly the walls are thin. Overall, we were satisfied and would reccommed if you're looking for something different.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest -

Thank you so much for your honest review of Cork Factory Hotel. We have been using TripAdvisor reviews to make some changes within our staff and guidelines at the Front Desk, so the unfriendly employees you encountered while at our facility should now be a thing of the past. When our owners were designing the hotel, they consciously chose to keep the decor of each room simple to allow the historic building to shine for itself. We do understand that this choice is not for everyone, but we are glad that you enjoyed your stay nonetheless. We hope that you will keep us in mind for your next trip to Lancaster, Pa. Please feel free to contact me directly using the information listed below if you would like to discuss your stay in any further detail. Again, I thank you for your time.

Ocala
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

Exceptionally clean, modern and unique hotel. Decor is excellent, bed was very comfortable and fitness center was good. Restraunt was pricey but good. If you are looking for a modern unique hotel this is worth a stay. Very unique and charming and fairly close to Lancaster and the Amish sections.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Guest -

Thank you so much for your positive and candid review of Cork Factory Hotel. We have been using TripAdvisor reviews to make some changes within our staff and guidelines at the Front Desk, so it is refreshing to see that you did not encounter any disappointing customer service while at our facility. Please keep us in mind for your next trip to Lancaster, Pa. Thank you, again!

Burlington City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

upon returning from a great trip to Lancaster Sight and Sound, I had to look this hotel up in tripadvisor to see what was said. despite ranking 13th, the first 3 comments were saying exactly what I experienced, and so things didnt change. I wasn't greeted at check in, and for that matter not when I left either. The customer service was awwwwwfull. I am glad we went out to eat, I wonder what the service is at their on-site restaurant.Anyway, the worst service event was at breakfast, when we arrived at 9:15. breakfast is served, continental style from 7-10 am. Well most of what was probably breakfast was gone, and I mean depleted. When I asked the hostess about replenishing it, your comment was " not at this point". Not at what point I asked. and she continued, "well it is 9:15". Are you kidding me? 7-10 is 7-10, not 9:15 or 9:30. And after we escalated the breakfast issue and finally got some fresh food, 3 other couples arrived at 9:30. What would she say now" at this point"
So stay at the lovely historic hotel, good location, very nice rooms. But don't expect any B& B type of service, or anything close to a decent hotel either.

Room Tip: rooms with king beds, first floor, can't beat it.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Lindsey A, Manager at Cork Factory Hotel, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Guest --

I appreciate your truthful review of your experience at Cork Factory Hotel. As part of the sales and team, I can assure you that I am just as concerned about the service you received as you. As I mentioned in previous responses, we are cracking down on our front desk and restaurant employees. I hope that the service you received during your stay will not prevent you from giving our property another chance. If you could contact me directly, using the number or email listed below, to give me some more information regarding your stay, it would be truly appreciated. It is guests like you that we rely on to get to the bottom of what we are trying to prevent from becoming a reoccurring event. Also, I'd like to discuss how I can persuade you to give the Cork Factory Hotel another chance to not only meet but exceed your expectations. Thank you!

Sales Office: 717.735.2075
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Spent one night in a unique and spacious top floor room. Upon Check-in, sort of felt like we were interrupting the desk clerk; she was not welcoming at all. Saw her again next morning, still kind of grouchy! That first night, my sister and I entered the dining room at dinner, but kind of wandered around since there were two busy waiters, and no one else available to seat us. I caught the eye of one of the waiters, but instead of assisting us, he just stood and stared at us from down the aisle. We ended up walking out and found a restaurant downtown. The continental breakfast was well done and tasty; we had a wonderful and cheerful older woman working that service. Overall, I believe the staff needs to be more attentive and show more care towards their visitors.

Room Tip: If you choose the top floor, you will have the true "factory warehouse" feel with high, ex...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your candid review of the Cork Factory Hotel. We always appreciate feedback from our customers as this is how we can learn our faults and work to make each guests' experience a memorable and enjoyable one.

First, let me apologize for the lack of friendly customer service you received from our front desk and restaurant staffs. It is unacceptable and we are striving to put an end to this behavior. That is why it is imperative for these reviews, to allow us to make emends to our guests, and take the proper action with our employees to ensure that each and every guest is greeted warmly by a helpful associate. I hope that you will contact me directly so we can discuss your interaction, and hopefully narrow down with whom you may have interacted while you were our guest.

I am however, glad to hear that your overnight room not only met, but exceeded your expectations. Our historic property is unique to Lancaster County, so I appreciate your feedback regarding the rooms. Please contact me, using the information listed below, at your earliest convenience to discuss how the Cork Factory Hotel can persuade you to give us a second chance and leave you with the service that is expected. Thank you.

Sales Office: 717.945-1909
lindsey.antonio@corkfactoryhotel.com

Been to Cork Factory Hotel? Share your experiences!