“Class and Homey too” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cork Factory Hotel

You added Cork Factory Hotel to your Saves list
Cork Factory Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   480 New Holland Avenue, Suite 3000, Lancaster, PA 17602   |
Ranked #14 of 38 Hotels in Lancaster
Washington, DC
“Class and Homey too”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

My wife and I had to find a hotel in Lancaster, PA for the Thanksgiving weekend. We have relatives there, but -- for the first time -- there was no room for us. So, though we know Lancaster well, we didn't know where to stay. Most Lancaster hotels are lower-end because the cater to outlet mall shoppers. And these were all booked. So we kept looking and found The Cork Factory Hotel. What a find! It is a fantastic place to stay.

It is in a historic, old factory building which has been loving and accurately restored. The outside is all original looking except for new windows. It's beautiful. But the inside is amazing. They kept as much of the old as they could, so, for instance, the old beams in the ceilings are all there, and old brick shows in many places. The decoration is warm and inviting, and the restaurant is quite beautiful. But the most gorgeous part is the bar. Don't miss it.

Along with this, the staff are friendly and helpful, the rooms are large and all brand new and have lots of windows with blinds and even windows that open.

Unlike many old buildings, it didn't feel cold or drafty.

Try the restaurant and the bar!

Room Tip: try and get a corner room; they have windows on two sides.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Lindsey A, Manager at Cork Factory Hotel, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear Guests -

I am so thrilled that your experience at Cork Factory Hotel was exactly the service for which we strive to give each and every guest. We have taken previous TripAdvisor reviews from guests that indicated they received poor customer service from some of our staff to make the necessary changes with our employees, to ensure that each guest has the experience which you just described. It is refreshing to know that we have succeeded in exceeding your expectations, and offering you an all-around pleasant and memorable experience. Please keep us in mind for your next trip to Lancaster, Pa. Thanks again!

Front Desk: 717.735.2075

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Long Beach, New York, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

Agree with the other reviewers about the unfriendly staff, but there were only a few. The hotel is urban and modern, converse to the feel of Amish country in Lancaster. The bar was nice, we had drinks, but not the food. King size room was adequate, made spacious by the high ceilings, but was dull in decor. Lighting was not great. TV was not modern and it wouldn't hurt to put some ammeneties in the fridge. Was not overly affected by the noise factor, but clearly the walls are thin. Overall, we were satisfied and would reccommed if you're looking for something different.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest -

Thank you so much for your honest review of Cork Factory Hotel. We have been using TripAdvisor reviews to make some changes within our staff and guidelines at the Front Desk, so the unfriendly employees you encountered while at our facility should now be a thing of the past. When our owners were designing the hotel, they consciously chose to keep the decor of each room simple to allow the historic building to shine for itself. We do understand that this choice is not for everyone, but we are glad that you enjoyed your stay nonetheless. We hope that you will keep us in mind for your next trip to Lancaster, Pa. Please feel free to contact me directly using the information listed below if you would like to discuss your stay in any further detail. Again, I thank you for your time.

Ocala
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

Exceptionally clean, modern and unique hotel. Decor is excellent, bed was very comfortable and fitness center was good. Restraunt was pricey but good. If you are looking for a modern unique hotel this is worth a stay. Very unique and charming and fairly close to Lancaster and the Amish sections.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Guest -

Thank you so much for your positive and candid review of Cork Factory Hotel. We have been using TripAdvisor reviews to make some changes within our staff and guidelines at the Front Desk, so it is refreshing to see that you did not encounter any disappointing customer service while at our facility. Please keep us in mind for your next trip to Lancaster, Pa. Thank you, again!

Burlington City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

upon returning from a great trip to Lancaster Sight and Sound, I had to look this hotel up in tripadvisor to see what was said. despite ranking 13th, the first 3 comments were saying exactly what I experienced, and so things didnt change. I wasn't greeted at check in, and for that matter not when I left either. The customer service was awwwwwfull. I am glad we went out to eat, I wonder what the service is at their on-site restaurant.Anyway, the worst service event was at breakfast, when we arrived at 9:15. breakfast is served, continental style from 7-10 am. Well most of what was probably breakfast was gone, and I mean depleted. When I asked the hostess about replenishing it, your comment was " not at this point". Not at what point I asked. and she continued, "well it is 9:15". Are you kidding me? 7-10 is 7-10, not 9:15 or 9:30. And after we escalated the breakfast issue and finally got some fresh food, 3 other couples arrived at 9:30. What would she say now" at this point"
So stay at the lovely historic hotel, good location, very nice rooms. But don't expect any B& B type of service, or anything close to a decent hotel either.

Room Tip: rooms with king beds, first floor, can't beat it.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Lindsey A, Manager at Cork Factory Hotel, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Guest --

I appreciate your truthful review of your experience at Cork Factory Hotel. As part of the sales and team, I can assure you that I am just as concerned about the service you received as you. As I mentioned in previous responses, we are cracking down on our front desk and restaurant employees. I hope that the service you received during your stay will not prevent you from giving our property another chance. If you could contact me directly, using the number or email listed below, to give me some more information regarding your stay, it would be truly appreciated. It is guests like you that we rely on to get to the bottom of what we are trying to prevent from becoming a reoccurring event. Also, I'd like to discuss how I can persuade you to give the Cork Factory Hotel another chance to not only meet but exceed your expectations. Thank you!

Sales Office: 717.735.2075
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Spent one night in a unique and spacious top floor room. Upon Check-in, sort of felt like we were interrupting the desk clerk; she was not welcoming at all. Saw her again next morning, still kind of grouchy! That first night, my sister and I entered the dining room at dinner, but kind of wandered around since there were two busy waiters, and no one else available to seat us. I caught the eye of one of the waiters, but instead of assisting us, he just stood and stared at us from down the aisle. We ended up walking out and found a restaurant downtown. The continental breakfast was well done and tasty; we had a wonderful and cheerful older woman working that service. Overall, I believe the staff needs to be more attentive and show more care towards their visitors.

Room Tip: If you choose the top floor, you will have the true "factory warehouse" feel with high, ex...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your candid review of the Cork Factory Hotel. We always appreciate feedback from our customers as this is how we can learn our faults and work to make each guests' experience a memorable and enjoyable one.

First, let me apologize for the lack of friendly customer service you received from our front desk and restaurant staffs. It is unacceptable and we are striving to put an end to this behavior. That is why it is imperative for these reviews, to allow us to make emends to our guests, and take the proper action with our employees to ensure that each and every guest is greeted warmly by a helpful associate. I hope that you will contact me directly so we can discuss your interaction, and hopefully narrow down with whom you may have interacted while you were our guest.

I am however, glad to hear that your overnight room not only met, but exceeded your expectations. Our historic property is unique to Lancaster County, so I appreciate your feedback regarding the rooms. Please contact me, using the information listed below, at your earliest convenience to discuss how the Cork Factory Hotel can persuade you to give us a second chance and leave you with the service that is expected. Thank you.

Sales Office: 717.945-1909
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here in September for a friends wedding at the hotel. We were able to check in early on Friday and found the rooms to be great. They have cool brick walls and exposed beam ceilings which added to the ambiance of the old factory. The bathrooms were sleek and well appointed. The rooms were quiet except when people were being loud in the small hallways. As a weddin venue it was a great location. The hotel has a good bar even though it closes at midnight. Continental breakfast was good, but nothing more than bagels and cereals with juices and pastries. Overall it was a good stay and would return.

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive feedback for Cork Factory Hotel. I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay and the wedding that you attended in our facility. I hope you will keep the Cork Factory Hotel in mind on your next retreat to Lancaster, Pa.

717.735.2075 ext. 606
Sweet Valley, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I was very disappointed by the rudeness of the hotel staff. When I checked in the woman acted as though it was a chore to check me in. Yes it was a bit on the later side, but she was rude and was sighing as though I was being an annoyance to her. The elevator was extremely slow. It was ridiculous. I would have walked up the stairs but my luggage was heavy and I was exhausted to I opted to wait and oh boy did I wait.
My room was nice. It exceeded my expectations. The hair dryer was amazing. I loved it. The toiletries were neat- hollow soap.
The location was a bit iffy. I don't know Lancaster area at all. But it was in the "Urban" district. Urban = ghetto.
Then, back to dealing with the folks that work there... I was in town for a business trip and gone all day. When I returned to the hotel there was a wedding and a rehearsal dinner going on so the place was busy. There was absolutely no where to park. None. The front desk attendant told me to park where it clearly said "tow away zone." I asked if the hotel would then me responsible if my car was towed and I was told to park at my own risk. What? Then the other attendant told me to wait 10 minutes and I could take her spot. I told her I already drove around looking for a spot for 20 minutes, I wasn't going to wait 10 more minutes. They really didn't have any solutions for me other than keep looking and hope someone leaves. For paying $150 per night I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a place to park. Hotel guests should have guarenteed parking. Wedding and event guests should have to park elsewhere (in the tow away zones perhaps since it's not overnight) and the hotel should have thought this out because they were pretty much at capacity as far as reservations go.
So overall, nice place. Beautiful room. However, staff was rude and unprofessional.
I don't think I would stay there again. Check out the Marriott on Queen Street instead (where my business trip was held). It's much nicer, the staff is friendlier, and the price is comparable.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Lindsey A, Manager at Cork Factory Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Dear Guest,

First, let me apologize in earnest for the lack of friendly customer service you received from our front desk. I will be discussing this issue with our Front Desk and Guest Service supervisors, and insisting that all of our front desk agents offer the level of customer service for which the Cork Factory Hotel is known. It is inexcusable that they were neither polite, nor helpful, during your check-in and stay, and I can ensure you that this is not level of service to which most of our guests are accustomed.

I am however, glad to hear that your overnight room not only met, but exceeded your expectations. We enjoy offering not only standard hotel amenities, but also adding some unique flare to otherwise boring and often overlooked staples. We do understand that our elevator can take some time, especially during check-in/check-out or events as the majority of our guests prefer to use it. This is why there are three stair cases (one original, salvaged and refurbished from the original 1860s building) with easy access to all four stories of the hotel. Also, I can assure you that the location of Cork Factory Hotel is far from "ghetto" as you mentioned in your review. In the almost three years of operation, we have never had a problem with our location or the surrounding area. Urban, by our definition, simply means city.

It is very unfortunate that you were unable to find parking. Between the three lots at Urban Place, there is plenty of parking to accommodate everyone, both overnight and event guests. That is why I am disappointed that our staff did not direct you to one of our overflow lots, either the center lot, or the lot available on the East side of building 6 in Urban Place. However, we do offer complimentary on-site parking for all guests, a luxury that the Marriott cannot offer their guests, due to their central-urban location.

If you would like to discuss your experience further, or to discuss how the Cork Factory Hotel can persuade you to give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations, please contact me directly using the information provided below. Thank you for your review.

717.735.2075

Been to Cork Factory Hotel? Share your experiences!