“Do Not Stay Here.....” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Wingate by Wyndham Lancaster / PA Dutch Country

You added Wingate by Wyndham Lancaster / PA Dutch Country to your Saves list
Wingate by Wyndham Lancaster / PA Dutch Country
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2110 Lincoln Highway E, US Route 30, Lancaster, PA 17602   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead, Save 15%
Ranked #14 of 36 Hotels in Lancaster
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York City, New York
“Do Not Stay Here.....”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2010

DO NOT STAY HERE. I am a frequent visitor to Lancaster but unfortunately my last visit was made at the last minute and I could not book my usual hotel. I made the mistake of booking the Wingate by Wyndham Lancaster due to the fact that it was a newer hotel and looked good on the web site. DON’T be fooled. All I need to say is that after being in the room for about an hour I was disgusted after finding bugs in one of the beds. They were tiny pink bugs and there were at least 15 of them. They were unmistakably bugs as they were moving around on the sheet. The second bed was also disgusting as I discovered several hairs on the sheets which were definitely not from my family and myself as we had not even had a chance to rest on the beds yet. Apparently the policy of having newly cleaned sheets when a new customer checks in does not apply to this hotel or they were too lazy to do their jobs leaving a disgusting room at the expense of my family. The night supervisor did change our room and was accommodating that night but no one was able to have a comfortable night after what we had experienced. It was also not a good feeling knowing what our 2 small children were possibly exposed to and shuffling them and all our belongings at 9:30 at night after travelling and running to all the attractions during the day. The supervisor told me he would notify his GM and I could speak to him in the morning. This is where I got even more fed up. The GM first of all is just a fancy name for the hotel manager and was not very understanding. The one thing they did do was credit me for that night and not charge me for the next night, even though I had NO INTENTION of staying with them and their bugs for the 2nd night of my visit. This is where their good will ended. They took me to check the room and magically whatever I found in the bed was gone. They played the game of looking all over the pillows and sheets and made me sound like I was making everything up. The housekeeping rep wanted to know why I didn’t save the bugs to show them. I explained I was too busy getting my small children out of the room and had no interest in bringing their bugs to my new room. They also denied that the sheets were not changed when I checked into the room. I asked to make a report and all the GM would tell me is that he would speak to his boss and I would have to call him back. I explained I wanted to document this as I had losses: stuffed animals I brought my children that were on the bed, and the clothing we were wearing that I had to put in plastic bags and have dry cleaned and sanitized when I got home. Not to mention the headaches of shopping for a days worth of new clothes. When I called back the next day I was not surprisingly blown off by the GM. When asked if I would be compensated for my dry cleaning expenses I was told they would not give me anything. When I asked for a copy of a report for the incident they told me there was no report due to the fact they had no proof anything happened. Obviously I was not imagining what was on my bed. This is not a hotel you want to stay at --- especially if you have children that will be rolling on the bed or floors. This is by far my worst experience at a hotel and in Lancaster. I visit Lancaster 4-5 times a year and will make sure I book my stays earlier enough to get my usual hotel (Country Inn and Suites by Carlson which is excellent). The treatment at the Windham and the indifference of the GM is definitely not what you want to deal with while on vacation in a spot as nice as Lancaster. I travel frequently and never wrote a review until now, but between their attitude in this matter and me as a father to small children spurred me to write this to warn any potential occupants of what I experienced. I am sure not all the rooms have bugs but they definitely were in ONE room and it shows that they DEFINITELY did not fully clean my room before I moved in. Please do yourself a favor and check other hotels out before booking the Windham. They may be slightly more expensive but as always ………In the long run you get what you pay for. Unfortunately I didn’t know bugs were included.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Hebrew first
Long Island City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2010

I've stayed at Wingate by Wyndham twice so far and this is the place to stay when in Lancaster! During our first stay, we were in the King Bed Suite and during our second stay, we were in the 2 Queen Beds Room. The location of the hotel is perfect if you're going to any of the amusement parks.

When we walked into the King Bed Suite, we were surprised by how large the room was. You can get an idea of how big this room is by the following items that are in there. A king size bed, a chair with an ottoman, a computer desk with a chair, a small dining table with chairs, small fridge, microwave, kitchen sink, a jacuzzi and 2 TVs (one on a dresser in front of the bed and one hanging on the wall in front of the jacuzzi). Even though there are so many things in the room, the room is open and spacious.

The room is extremely warm, clean and comfortable. The beds are as inviting as they look. You will definitely have a good night's sleep. The hotel also offers a free hot breakfast with our stay which was really nice. You can make your own waffles, have cereal, toast your own toast, bagel or english muffin, have some eggs, bacon or sausage. There's always an employee overseeing things during breakfast. The buffet area was clean and was constantly wiped down. The food was hot and quickly replenished when it was low. There are more than enough tables and chairs during the morning rush before heading over to the amusement parks. If you're craving some donuts, you can walk 20 steps outside of the hotel over to Dunkin Donuts. A total plus for when you need a sweet afternoon snack.

I've stayed at numerous hotels in the Lancaster area and this is the best one. We had a fabulous stay at this hotel and we are DEFINITELY coming back!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

Over the years I have become a fan of Wingate Inns, and the Lancaster Wingate Inn did not disappoint. It was fresh and clean, the staff was most helpful, and it was conveniently located. The room was great, and the bed very comfortable. And if you like Dunkin Donuts, it's right out front!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
wyn2110, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Lancaster / PA Dutch Country, responded to this review, October 1, 2010
Glad you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to having you back again soon
Richmond, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

I stayed one night at the Wingate with a friend for a quick shopping trip to Lancaster. I booked on Priceline and received an outstanding price. The hotel was easy to find, the staff was overly accommodating, and the facility was very clean. Perks - located beside a Dunkin' Donuts and WaWa. Cons - located directly on Rt. 30, which can be noisy. Request a room at the far end of the building away from the highway.

The property is new and I hope they maintain their excellent quality as time passes.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and was sorry to hear that there was noise from Route 30. Till now we have not had any complaints on noise as none of the rooms face the highway, but hope this will not deter you from staying with us again when in the area
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

Prime location to be in the middle of the area's diverse attractions: Sight and Sound Theaters, outlet stores, and the Amish communities. We chose it because it is a newer hotel so we thought it would be less worn out than the other options and because it had good reviews on this website. That was true, the furniture and bedding and decor were in great condition but could be cleaner. There were significant stains on the bed skirting and the comforter had enough stains to make us uncomfortable and question if it was freshly washed before our stay. The bathroom seemed to get a hit and miss cleaning as the floor was never completely rid of hair or debris that was there upon our arrival.It was obvious that one individual in housekeeping didn't have her mind on her job as we saw her several times throughout our stay hiding in corners chatting happily away on her cell phone while her coworkers were cleaning the rooms. The air conditioner would blast until we were frozen and then shut off and not kick on again until we were uncomfortably warm. We could never regulate it to do otherwise. However, the most disappointing aspect was the continental breakfast as the self service breakfast bar would be trashed no matter how early we got down there so we never took advantage of it because it was kept deplorable and that may be too kind a word to describe it. The hotel staff never intermittently cleaned it, food product was smeared and dumped everywhere, the utensils were caked with residue from prior use and it was quite an unappealing scene. Surprisingly enough, the front desk staff were all friendly and courteous but I just have to wonder what they're doing to allow such a mess which is located right in front of them. It's a shame such a new hotel is being run in such an insubordinate fashion if it keeps up like this it will soon become seedy.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
we certainly appreciate your comments regarding our property and as you can imagine when you are serving approximately 150 people breakfast within a 3 hour period it is often difficult to keep a self serve area as clean as we would like....but is is definitely something we are working on......also, as we pride ourselves on the cleanliness of our property, training is an ongoing process especially with the turnover in staff in our industry...we thank you for your review and hope that you will come back to see us again
International
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2010

The hotel was wonderful. it was clean and the starr was very helpful when it came to local sights and places to eat. There was a girl's and a boy's soccar team staying at the hotel. The kids were pretty quiet. It was the parents who decided hey let's pull some chairs into the hallway and have some beers and shoot the breeze. Other that that the hotel is quiet. It is on the main road so anything and everything you want to do is there. There is a mall like thee or five blocks away but I would suggest driving. There is an authenic Amish restaurant called Kathi's it's about 10 minutes away and on Old Philadelphia Pike you can find all things Amish.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
glad you enjoyed yoru stay with us and look forward to having you back again in the future
Rochester, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2010

I booked this hotel because of water park next to hotal. Since this pool has no pool. The pool next story was poor so beware. If you want no pool great hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
we are sorry that we do not have a pool and since Howard Johnsons (next to us) is part of the same brand umbrella we do offer their pool to our registered guests. Sorry you were displeased with their pool, but hope to have you come back to see us again when you are in the area

Been to Wingate by Wyndham Lancaster / PA Dutch Country? Share your experiences!