“High End Offerings at Budget Price!” 5 of 5 stars

Routes 30 and 896, Lancaster, PA 17602   |
Ranked #2 of 38 Hotels in Lancaster
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Toronto, Canada
“High End Offerings at Budget Price!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

This is a theme hotel that delivers! We've seen the hotel before and assumed it was really expensive, but it fit in the budget and we really felt it was worth the few extra$$. Fun decor, spacious quiet room, fridge, microwave, WIFI, and very comfy cozy beds.

The only flaw (if that really) was that they have a couple of family rooms (queen bed and bunk beds) that we where told twice you cannot reserve they are offered first come first serve...when we arrived we asked and told they where not taken but where reserved, asked how that's possible for next trip and no comment was offered by staff, assuming people paid a premium then.

No loss we where very comfortable, restaurant was great although a little high-end ($5+ for a bowl of oatmeal), there is lots around within walking distance and the fridge is large enough for breakfast and lunch items! For us the Fulton Steamboat Inn was what you expect to get at high end hotels (and often don't!), but offered at a great price! We had a fantastic stay and will try it again when in Lancaster.

We love Lancaster for all it has to offer our family outlet shopping, amusement parks and all the trains we can explore!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
New Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

On a road trip with my wife, we decided to spend a couple of days in Lancaster. After seeing the reviews on this site, we decided to stay at the Fulton Steamboat Inn. I can say from experience, the reviews weren’t wrong. The hotel is designed to look like a steamboat on the inside and out. It’s kind of a gimmick but it certainly has its charms. The interior has lots of handsome dark wood with brass adornments. The carpet has a wild pattern but it is in a subdued set of colors, so it isn’t obnoxious. There are two gift stores, one for touristy souvenirs and a smaller one of local food stuffs. There is also an indoor pool. They also have a restaurant that serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner as well as a tavern that serves (what else) drinks and pub-style fare for lunch and dinner. We didn’t eat at either place but they seemed busy enough.

I splurged a little and for one of their “sun deck” rooms. The room we got was spacious and the bed was comfortable. Everything looked relatively new and was clean. There was an LCD TV (no HD signal though), whirlpool jets in the tub (although it was a normal size tub), and an electronic fireplace, which were nice touches.

The major gripe I had was that one of the advertised selling points of getting a sun deck room was a private balcony that looked over the Lancaster County farmlands. Now, that may be true on the southern side of the hotel but it is certainly not true of the northern side of the hotel where we were located. Our view consisted of a very busy traffic light, a mini-golf place, and a giant WaWa. It was certainly disappointing.

All in all, it was a very comfortable and pleasant visit. I would definitely recommend this hotel to couples or families.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

We ALWAYS stay at the Steamboat, It is always clean and quiet. We stayed on July 6,7,8 on the first floor in a King deluxe room right behind the front desk. Thought it was going to be noisy but we were surprised, it wasnt. The lady in the gift shop was EXTREMELY nice and went out of her way to help us. Huckleberrys is a first class dining experience, friendly staff and great food. The little tavern off of the main lobby is wonderful, cold beer for me and a good mixed drink (try the strawberry lemonade) for my wife. I really cant say enough about our favorite place, from the General Manager Peter to the maint guy who fixed the toilet in an amazingly quick and courteous manner, EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE went beyond our expectations. As you can tell WE LOVE THIS PLACE!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

I chose this hotel for my family because of the reviews and the value. Our stay consisted of trips to Dutch Wonderland, Hershey Park, and Outlet Shopping, so we wanted a hotel convenient to all of these and this hotel does that. It is only a few minutes from Dutch Wonderland, (which our children loved) and walking distance to Rockvale Outlets. It is appx a 35 minute drive to Hershey. The hotel offers tickets to Dutch Wonderland and Hershey but we purchased the combo tickets online prior to arrival. The other reasons I liked this hotel is that it is different from other hotels we've visited. We loved the steamboat theme of the hotel and my 5 year old son loved the captain's hat they give you upon arrival. The staff was friendly and the guests were even friendlier. We ate in their Huckleberry Restaurant and our 9 month old wasn't crying, but making a LOT of noise. My husband and I were honestly embarrased but the people were SO nice and just kept coming up to us telling us how blessed we are to have such a beautiful little girl. Not just one person, but quite a few people. You will see people at this hotel with no kids, but it is truly a kid friendly hotel. We stayed for 3 days, however, we originally planned to stay for 2 days. The day we were scheduled to check out, my husband asked if we could stay an additional day. So here we are -- and I'm actually writing the review from our room on the morning of the third day! My children loved the duck feeding pond and it is truly very relaxing for the entire family at the end of the evening after a long day. Due to busy schedules, we didn't get a chance to use the indoor pool -- but people sure looked like they were enjoying it. We did eat at the Huckleberry Inn - which is the hotel's onsite restaurant, and I will post a separate review on that - but I will say that is the experience that my husband and I liked the LEAST. My 5 year old ordered a cheeseburger and only ate a bite of it and he loves cheeseburgers. You should probably eat elsewhere -- it's expensive and the food really wasn't good. Also, my husband and I ordered Margarita's and for some reason they weren't good either. So --- I don't know what's going on there, but I definitely recommend this hotel, our family had a blast! We just would not eat or drink here in next time -- or we would order different cocktails and cross our fingers! Also, if you like room service, this hotel does not have it. That was ok with us though.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
bangor
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

The Fulton Steamboat Inn in Lancaster, Pa is a wonderful full service hotel. The price is comparable to any other hotel in the area but what sets it apart from all the others is the attention to detail, from the ultra clean and beautifully decorated rooms to the extremely friendly staff. The surroundings are serene and idyllic and one can sit outside at night from one of the many gazebos or airondack chairs near the pond and watch the ducks. Inside the hotel there is also a fantastic restaurant called Huckleberry's, where once again, the staff is very friendly and the food delicious. I am sure your trip will be as enjoyable as ours was and we will be returning next year. Make your reservations early as I am positive the Fulton Steamboat Inn fills very quickly. A hotel that goes to the extent the Steamboat Inn does deserves recognition. You will not be disappointed.
Jane Hocking--Pa

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

My family went to Lancaster/Hershey for a mid-week getaway. I can't express how friendly and service oriented this hotel is. Whether it be Arlene in the gift shop to checking in or ordering breakfast in Huckberry's restaurant, we were always greeted with a smile. Breakfast is excellent! The queen bed was extremely comfortable and mini-fridge and microwave were a big plus. I also loved the free in-room wi-fi. There is also a computer in the lobby that was available most of the time. My daughter loved the playground and ice cream social. I will be back to this charming hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Saint Albans, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

We stayed at the Fulton Steamboat Inn not knowing what to expect. Most inns have nice
pictures and once you get there they are not what you would have thought. But
the Steamboat was very nice. Very clean and well kept. Its a beautiful inn and we WILL stay there again on my next visit to Lancaster. The place was very nice, the inn employees were very nice and helpful. From a 1-10, I would go with a 12. Beautiful area.
Would I recommend? Oh yeah its a must!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Fulton Steamboat Inn? Share your experiences!