“Neat, Clean But Overly-Scented” 4 of 5 stars

Fulton Steamboat Inn
Routes 30 and 896, Lancaster, PA 17602   |
Ranked #2 of 38 hotels in Lancaster
PDX
“Neat, Clean But Overly-Scented”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

We spent one night here on our way from Philadelphia to Washington DC. The hotel is on actual land though built to look like a steamboat. We booked a room on the Sun Deck, which is for adults only - no kids allowed.
Check in was painless and the staff were friendly. We asked about some local tourist attractions, (in particular quilt stores) but they were not able to answer any of our questions.
The rooms are lovely and spacious as well as exceptionally clean. The only downside to the hotel is the entire place reeked of cinnamon - which unfortunately I can't strand the smell of. I understand wanting to get into the "fall" atmosphere but they really need to lay off the scent.
The hotel is located on a main intersection, but we couldn't hear any traffic noise from our room.
We used the laundry facilities while we were there and my husband used the pool, but I didn't. We did have breakfast in the hotel restaurant the next morning. The food was wonderful and reasonably priced.
I'm marking the hotel down on sleep quality as the cinnamon effected me so much I spent half the night sneezing and wheezing.
All in all we had a good stay and I would recommend the hotel if you are planning a visit to Amish Country.

Room Tip: Stay on the sun deck so you don't have kids running up and down the hall ways!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

1,334 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
Quakertown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

My family and I stay here every year and it just gets better and better year after year. The staff is wonderful! The rooms are always clean and comfy. The playground is so fun (and safe!). My kids LOVE feeding the ducks! The pool and hot tub are a plus. The Inn is also so close to the outlets as well as plenty of restaurants... but I highly recommend eating at Huckleberry's. The food is SO good!! We just love eating there and the bar is great too. It's just an overall fantastic time for literally everyone!!

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
ELLWOOD CITY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

Love the Victorian period decor in this Inn. Very warm and inviting atmosphere, quaint little shoppes and delicious food in the restaurant all add to the charm of The Fulton Steamboat Inn. We also enjoy the indoor pool every time we stay here.

Room Tip: Higher floors are larger and decorated more elegantly. First level great size and atmosphere for fa...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a quick mid-week getaway. Our accommodations were so luxurious that we decided to stay another night. The Fulton Steamboat Inn is a far cry from ordinary hotels. The Inn is by far one of the cleanest and well-maintained properties we've ever stayed at. And the little touches in the room did not go unnoticed. There are ceramic coffee cups and real glasses for beverages (none of those plastic wrapped squishy styrofoam or plastic cups), luxurious bathrobes, an abundance of thick oversized towels, and Bath and Body Works lotion, soaps, shampoo, and conditioner. Our room was huge, well-appointed, and the king bed was extremely comfortable. And the bathroom was large enough to dance in! (We were on the Sun-Deck which we highly recommend.) As for the hotel amenities, we enjoyed the hot-tub, the game room, fresh-baked cookies, cocktails in the lounge and, in particular, the fire pit...our absolute favorite! We cannot say enough good things about our stay and we are already planning another visit there. We highly recommend The Fulton Steamboat Inn as an alternative to an ordinary hotel stay in the Lancaster area. It is evident that the owners, management and staff take great pride in the Inn and everyone we spoke with indicated that they loved their jobs. We had an awesome time and would like to thank management again for all they did to make our stay enjoyable. We will be indeed be back!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

This summer, my family spent a night at The Fulton Steamboat in Lancaster. It actually looks like a steamboat, but I was pleased to find it very tasteful, welcoming and not at all exploitative of its kitsch factor. Their Huckleberry breakfast was truly fantastic. The service at check in, the gift shop and restaurant were exceptionally friendly. Arlene in the gift shop was even caring for an injured duck. Speaking of, there are tons of ducks to feed. The landscaping outside is well thought out and offers a large pond, a cow pasture, an inviting stone fire pit, several gazebos, plenty of well placed Adirondack chairs, a pirate ship playground and machines with duck feed. The room was clean and decor, appropriate. We all found the beds warm and comfortable, which is always a huge plus. It is a great value for families and I can see why it is one of the top hotels in Lancaster County.

A few more on site perks at Fulton Steamboat include ragtime and jazz music gently filling the hallways. A very nice pool area that has both family hours and adult only hours. The top level offers suites decorated in period furniture but are still very affordable. There is a convenient room filled with helpful brochures of area history, maps and attractions. They also offer a lot of local discounts for being hotel guests including major theme parks. Not to mention they send you home with a nifty "I Slept On A Steamboat" postcard to commemorate your stay. Great for scrapbook geeks like myself.

The Fulton Steamboat is in a fairly busy area close to the shopping outlets and a number of chain restaurants. We got a late night snack at The Waffle House, which was a first for us. It is across the street from Lost Treasure Adventure Mini Golf. This was open until 11pm, so we enjoyed a night game on their cave course. Tough course and very cool layout. They also offer a pirate ship course and adventure maze.

The next day we explored the various ill named towns around Amish Country, each prettier than the next. I have been through here quickly a time or two in my life and always wished I had more time to spend. A lot is closed on Sunday's, but we really enjoyed what was open. We went to a few kitschy but fun trading posts and gift shops like Dutch Haven and Plain & Fancy. We would have stayed at the latter for a meal, but they had a 45min wait. We visited the Choo Choo Barn, as my father has always had a love for model trains. None of us could believe how much love and detail went into this monumental setup. Many of the figures around the scenes of the train tracks moved and were engaged in intricate scenes. We saw a circus, the Dutch Wonderland Amusement Park, dramatic fire rescues, a farmer being outsmarted by a ground hog, a parade, replica service stations and so much more.

We were very impressed with our stay at the Fulton Steamboat. It was affordable, convenient and charming and we will happily return in the future.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night because I was in town to see Noah at the Sight and Sound theater. From check in to check out this was a great experience. The receptionist and everyone else I encountered was extremely friendly and helpful. The room was lovely, spacious and very clean. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who is planning to visit the Lancaster area. The hotel is centrally located near plenty of restaurants and right across the street from the shopping outlets. My family and I are planning another trip to the Sight and Sound theater early next year and we will stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Steamboat for 2 nights while visiting the Amish country. They did a very good job of giving you the illusion of staying about a steamboat. The decor has a nautical theme from the 1800's. Everything was clean and in good repair. It was a nice change of pace. We also enjoyed the bar and had a nice dinner in the restaurant.

• Stayed October 2013

Been to Fulton Steamboat Inn? Share your experiences!