“Nice, clean hotel, BUT EXTREMELY SLIPPERY AROUND POOL” 4 of 5 stars

FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #11 of 36 Hotels in Lancaster
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York City, New York
“Nice, clean hotel, BUT EXTREMELY SLIPPERY AROUND POOL”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

My family and I stayed last Saturday, July 31st at the Marriott Penn Square. It is a new, very clean, nice hotel. I would highly recommend it, however, I must point out just how slippery the tile is around the entire pool. I did read another review prior to our stay that mentioned how slippery it was as well, so I was very conscious to always hold my children's hands anytime we were walking outside of the pool. It is an indoor pool located on the fifth floor. My four year old son managed to step a couple of feet away from my husband and went flying so fast to the floor that he smacked his right cheek and it immediately swelled up. They hotel did have one man walking around every so often trying to broom away water that was on the tiles. I just cannot believe that someone has not been hurt from a fall yet and sued the hotel. The hotel itself, should put some kind of rubberized mat all around the pool area, to prevent further falls. I also saw three adults slip and catch themselves while I was there, and I only stayed one night. I really hope the hotel takes care of making the pool area safer. Otherwise, the hotel was great - and worth staying at while visiting Lancaster, PA.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
JennSchram, General Manager at Lancaster Marriott at Penn Square, responded to this review, October 25, 2010
On behalf of the staff and management of the Lancaster Marriott at Penn Square, I want to express appreciation for all constructive feedback offered by our guests on this forum. We take the opinions of our guests very seriously and work very hard to continuously refine our guests’ experience by assessing our own performance and learning from such valuable feedback. Our number one priority is to provide all guests with the highest level of service, comfort and safety. I would like to sincerely apologize for any inconvenience our guests may have experienced at our hotel.

We are committed in providing a safe environment for our guests in our pool areas. We would like our guests to know that our pool and the areas surrounding it have been thoroughly inspected by the Pennsylvania Department of Health and City code enforcement. These areas meet or exceed the stringent standards set forth by these agencies.

We voluntarily have taken an extra step of applying a textured pool deck surface treatment specifically designed to make a pool deck more slip-resistant.

Regardless of the steps we have taken to ensure the safety of our guests, flooring around a pool deck is often wet & slippery and can pose a hazard. We recommend that our guests exercise an abundance of caution while walking in this or any pool area. We always appreciate the opportunity to address any concerns brought to our attention directly. Our management team can be reached at 717-207-4000. Please don’t hesitate to contact us at any time.

Thank you again for taking the time to communicate your feedback. We look forward to the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Mark Moosic, General Manager, Lancaster Marriott at Penn Square

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Tuckerton, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2010

We only spent one nite at this Marriott for our last minute trip to Lancaster. It was a beautiful, clean and comfortable hotel. It was also a bargain since we booked it on a "name your own price" site. We called ahead of time and were able to check in early and were booked into a corner room on the 15th floor. It was a little larger than other rooms which was nice since it there were 4 of us. The view of Lancaster city and the surrounding landscape was gorgeous! Love the floor to ceiling windows...my kids, 2 & 5 were thrilled to be so high up! Once we checked in and got settled into our room (quick and easy) we headed down to the pool. What a beautiful pool! Too bad the floor is so dangerously slippery, I really don't understand that. The kids really like it tho, and we enjoyed the hot tub, despite the overpowered jets! We headed out to dinner after swimming and were greeted by the front desk staff who offered us ideas for dinner...they were very friendly and helpful. After dinner we came home and crashed on some very comfy beds...even tho they were only doubles, they were great to sleep on. The shower in the morning was great, as was the in-room coffee...it was really, really good!!! The only downsides to this hotel are the lack of free wifi and the parking fee...and no Food Network!! All in all we would definately stay here again!!

Lancaster, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2010

Everyone knows the high standards of the Marriott resorts and hotels. I chose the Lancaster Marriott Penn Square to stay in the night before my wedding for just that reason. I believed that staying at the Marriott would help to launch me into my wedding weekend with calm and joy-----it did that and more! I wanted a restful night and a calm morning. What I got was a restful night, and a calm but fun morning! The staff at Marriott Penn Square surprised me with a free Mamosa and free breakfast when my daughter told them I was getting married! Because I was also understandably emotional about such kindness, they agreed to tell me bad marriage jokes and stop being so nice (NOT!) so I wouldn't cry! Additionally, this new and beautiful Marriott was filled to the brim with guests. But, when I called and asked for a later check-out time so that I could get dressed for my wedding there was no problem. My request was granted graciously and amid best wishes for my happiness. I cannot say enough about the total professionalism of the staff at Lancster Marriott Penn Square. They really did "Make My Day"!!

• Stayed June 2010
Bethel Park, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

This is a fabulous facility. The building was converted from a department store, and Marriott did everything right. The lobby was spacious and comfortable for work, wonderful 5th floor pool, tasteful and interesting art pieces from local artists, hotel restaurant was reasonably priced for good food, location is in the heart of Lancaster with plenty within walking distance. The hotel being only 1 year old, I think this is the first hotel outside of a few pricy options in downtown Chicago that I can describe as immaculate. The room was very clean and very comfortable. I think the only improvement I could offer would be for better in-room air conditioners, but I typically like to try to get the temperature low, down in the mid 60s. Great place!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

The Lancaster Marriott literally has it all. After a long car ride, we were met in front of the hotel by a young bellman who treated us like family. We had a quick turnaround to unload our luggage, as we had to be at a rehearsal dinner within a half hour. It took only moments to check in, although we wanted to linger in the classy, comfy lobby where a jazz quartet was playing. Much to our surprise, when we re-emerged from the hotel a half hour later, the bellman had our car ready in front of the door! He was not there, but had instructed the other man there to have it ready for us. That night, we sunk into the clean, inviting beds and had the best sleep of our lives. The next morning, before the wedding, we walked across the street to an indoor farmer's market and side-street shops that would rival any in Europe. BRAVO MARRIOTT for this treasure!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

Hotel is located in trendy downtown Lancaster. Hotel is updated and has a very modern look & feel. Hotel staff is extremely friendly. Rooms are nice with great views from all sides. Parking, although pricey is safe & secure. Fitness area is well equipped. Indoor pool was great too. Although I did not use, spa had a lot of massage choices. The only negative would have to be the on site restaurant. The food was great, but the service is slow. Slow as in pull your hair out why is this taking so long slow. But again, the food was great. Hotel is minutes to all area attractions. Walking distance to some awesome restaurants too. Gusto for Italian and Annie Baily's Irish restaurant had overall incredible selections. Stayed at hotel 4 nights and will always make this my hotel of choice in the Lancaster area.

Pa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

Had a one-night business stay, and brought the family along.

Upgraded to a nice suite (Platinum Premier member) and overall pleased with room. Conceirge lounge was so-so, definately not as nice as most US marriotts. One hot offering at dinner, and powered eggs and packet oatmeal for breakfast. VERY sparse offerings.

One point that needs to be stated-RollAway beds cost $15/night. Over 200 nights a year at Marriotts and NEVER hear of this unless it is a stay at a "resort", of which Penn Square is NOT! They need to get over it, and stop nickel/diming customers paying 30% more then EVERY other local hotel for a bed!!!

Due to this, will only return if attending a conference at the attached conference center.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

Been to Lancaster Marriott at Penn Square? Share your experiences!