“Still Not Good Enough” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 38 hotels in Lancaster
Cleveland, Ohio
“Still Not Good Enough”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I stayed at this property in November 2011 and wrote a review saying it really needed the renovation that was planned - giving it a "poor" rating.

I stayed here again in November 2012 and still found it not up to par with my expectations for a Fairfield Inn.

The hotel was indeed renovated, but I think it was done by an amateur designer and a low cost contractor. The hallways are dark, the decor is dated and it doesn't look like it was recently renovated.

More importantly, two of the problems I encountered a year ago have not been addressed. The wi-fi in the hotel does not work in the front part of the hotel on the second and third floor. When I asked about it, I was told there was a problem, so management is aware of the issue. They have chosen not to fix it. Internet access is important to most people, I believe, and I find it ridiculous that this issue hasn't been fixed in over a year.

The breakfast situation is also the same as a year ago. There was a general lack of items available. The person seemed to be putting out just a few of each item and I had to ask for several things during our two days there. One of the waffle makers was out of order. The sign looked as though it had been there a while. The woman staffing the breakfast started removing items a couple minutes before the posted time that breakfast ended and even cut in front of me to take an item away that I was in line to get. It seems that the staff or maybe management wants to stop serving as quickly as possible - to reduce costs? It's not the way a Marriott property ought to act.

I called Marriott Customer Service after our stay to raise these issues. I was told that they would contact the property and that a manger would respond. Big surprise - no response from local management.

When I read poor reviews of a hotel, I always wonder if the reviewer is being fair or if he is ranting about some isolated incident with a staff member or a bad experience due to a noisy neighbor. This rating I am giving is due to the lack of attention to significant issues which have existed for a long time. But don't worry about whether I've hurt the management's feelings with this poor review. I doubt they read these reviews as it doesn't seem they care about customer's input.

Room Tip: If you want to use wi-fi, ask them to give you a room where it works. Or better yet, chose a room i...

154 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Mount Vernon, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

This is one of the more personal Fairfields we've used. The rooms are exceptionally clean and neat, as is the breakfast space. The attendant at breakfast was very conscientious and professional. Very easy access from the highway, and only two miles from Haydn Zugs, one of the hidden jewels in Pennsylvania.

Room Tip: Third floor, pool side.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
frederick, maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

This hotel was clean, efficient, and seemed to be recently renovated. The reception staff were very nice and breakfast was a variety of prepared foods, bagel/muffins, and make-your-own waffles; coffee was good. The beds seemed short by normal standards but otherwise everything was satisfactory for a well run hotel.

The main thing to know about this hotel is that it is a stopover for kids teams - this time it was a swim team and a soccer team staying the night, along with many other large families plus kids. There were signs posted on each floor and in the elevator trying to enforce a "quiet time" in the hallways for the comfort of the other guests but, predictably, this could not be effectively enforced and the thundering of tween footfalls came in bursts through the night. I would stay here again if I had to accompany a young horde, otherwise I would stay elsewhere.

This was the only Marriott property available in Lancaster on short notice when we wanted to stay overnight for a visit to the Santa train and the wintertime opening of Dutch Wonderland with our grandson. Previously we have stayed with our grandson at the Courtyard which is closer to Lancaster action, next to the information center/museum, and is a cut above the Fairfield.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Columbia, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this Fairfield Inn this past weekend. There was some confusion over our reservations (we were on two 1-night reservations from using points and using a free night certificate) and when house cleaning came through the room Saturday - EVERYTHING of OURS was moved and re-arranged: all of our toiletries were pushed to a side of the counter, my iPhone charger was unplugged and wrapped up, our hanging clothes were pushed to the side of the rack and even snacks of ours were tied up in their bags. Even had a 1/2 of a breakfast danish discarded.

Most importantly, when we left Saturday morning - I had a pocket knife laying on the bathroom counter (I needed to clean it because I cut a breakfast danish with it and just didn't get to it before we left). When we got back to our room Saturday evening, our key cards didn't work and my knife was gone (as well as EVERYTHING of OURS being moved around).

We spoke to the front desk Saturday evening and they checked the house-cleaning cart without any sign of it.

On Sunday morning, when we went to check-out, we inquired again and also talked to them about the confusion over our room and the 2 reservations. The woman at the front desk was rude to us, blaming us for the confusion.

As for the knife, they again checked lost and found and called down the manager for the house cleaning crew (who was also the "Manager on Duty"). She told us that she would talk to the housecleaner who took care of our room. When she tried to talk to her, she said that there was a language barrier and would need to call the temp agency to bring in a translator and I should hear something on Monday.

Today is Thursday and I finally called back in and spoke with the Manager on Duty. He checked the cart, the lost and found and spoke with the house cleaner (guess he didn't need a translator). Long story short: they're not responsible for items left in the room. The end.

I guess I'm a liar and am trying to get a free $20 knife out of them.

Oh, the room itself was fine. The main entry to the hotel is a little dingy. No issues with anything else.

Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Got 2 rooms in early November 2012 for 1 night. Spacious rooms, plenty of towels, clean bathroom, large flat screen TV, Comfy Bed! lots of pillows. Quick check-in. Breakfast had make your own waffles, bagels, english muffins, fresh fruit, yogurt, oatmeal, cereal, microwave sausage sandwiches, juices, etc....Everything nicely kept. Right off hiway. Mini mart and restaurant close. Recommended.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Lewisburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We stayed for a getaway weekend at the Fairfield Inn Lancaster. Check in was quick, staff were friendly, and the common area was bright and inviting. Our suite was large, with lots of space to relax! The bedroom had a king bed, and a dresser with a very large flat screen TV. The living room had a built in corner unit with another large screen TV, a desk, pull out sleeper sofa, side chair and coffee table. A small alcove near the bathroom had a micro-fridge and the bathroom sink (which is a plus for me). The hotel looks and feels newer with a lot of extra "attention to details" that is often missing at other establishments. The Inn also has an indoor pool/exercise room that we did not use. The complimentary breakfast, provided in a separate breakfast room, was good too! For lunch or dinner, this location is very close to a Chili's (which has call ahead seating) and other chain restaurants within walking distance. The physical location is about 3 miles from downtown and a few miles from the outlets/activities in that area but the extra perks this Inn provides is worth the few mile drive! We will stay here again and would highly recommend this location for anyone staying in this area!

Room Tip: Ask for a king suite - lots of space!
Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We were very impressed by this hotel. The rooms far exceeded standard, even for a Marriott hotel. The staff was very professional and helpful. The only downside was the breakfast..not us to the stards of the restr of the hotel, but would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Lancaster? Share your experiences!