“Much better than before” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #19 of 38 hotels in Lancaster
West Orange, New Jersey
“Much better than before”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I stayed here with my family a few years ago and was very disappointed at the time. There was no refrigerator and at the time my son was a baby so we really needed one. It was also dingey and just not that great.

We always stay at Marriott properties so when we planned our trip this time I intended to stay at the Courtyard, even though it is across town from my family, it is a newer and much nicer property. Alas, we were shut out of the Courtyard so we decided to suck it up and stay at the Fairfield. We were pleasantly surprised to see that lobby had been renovated, as were the rooms. We had a refrigerator this time thankfully! The rooms were all nicely updated and very comfortable. More on par with what we are used to with Marriott.

The only negative I have to say about the Fairfield now is the water. They have soft water that is kinda slimey feeling and smells. My son, who is 4 years old and at perfect sink height, refused to get near the sink to brush his teeth without holding his nose, and he wouldn't touch the water, we had to use bottled.

Overall this is a nicely improved location that I would probably stay at again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

158 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

This property is conveniently located, clean, good sized rooms with a good business center and very friendly, accommodating staff. The availability of the Turkey Hill convenoence market across the street is nice. The staff person suggested that I could probably pick up the soda I was looking for at a lower price at the Turkey Hill which was appreciated.

Room Tip: It is a very quiet property despite the proximity to the highwy.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Somerset, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Our family stayed Sept 15 thru 17th. Had two rooms using Marriott Rewards points. Requested Pack n Play which was in my daughter's family room upon arrival. There was a problem with it, but the Housekeeping crew spent 20 minutes with her and got it right. Much thanks to them. The hotel had been renovated and it shows. Nice bathrooms, great beds and linen (my wife loved the bed). Waffles for breakfast, yummy. Coffee was available 24/7. My only complaint is that it is 15 minutes away from the main tourist area of Lancaster, but that is minor. I would gladly stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
SW Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I found this Fairfield to be a typical very nice Marriott property. Reading other reviews it would appear that the hotel was recently renovated. I experienced a brand-new fully modern and very clean room and actually thought the hotel itself was new. The front desk staff was also very friendly when I rolled in after midnight. Would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

This place is Great! Very Clean and hotel staff is friendly. Much Better than the Hilton Property across the street! I will not be staying at this property, and you get your Marriott points! It doesn't look great from the outside: but you will be Happy

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Tracys Landing, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

My husband and I went with friends and family for a weekend away. We decided to stay at the Fairfield Inn in Lancaster because, quite frankly, the price was right and it was close to where we wanted to shop/play golf/go to the theater.

The hotel was a pleasant respite. Our room was very clean; everything was in good working order. I had found out that the hotel had been recently renovated (and it shows!). The staff onsite was extremely warm and professional.

The only negatives I could give this hotel were:

(1) The exercise facility is WAY too small for a hotel this size (only 2 treadmills and one bike). All were occupied when I tried to exercise. The room was so small and had insufficient ventilation so it smelled like dirty sweat socks (YUK). The upside of this was that the gentleman at the front desk recommended a walk to a close-by park which was beautiful.

(2) Our air conditioning unit was very noisy. We decided to go fan-only for the second night so we wouldn't wake up when it started up.

(3) The renovated shower needs a little bit more light. It's pretty dark in there.

Other than those minor issues, we were extremely pleased by the quality of the rooms and the wonderful demeanor of the staff.

I would recommend this hotel highly for families that want a clean, fair-priced place to stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
bandit09
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

My husband and I stayed here 8/3/2012 to 8/5/2012. We reserved a King Room however upon check in were told we were upgraded to a Studio King because I had mentioned it was a celebration trip for us when I may the reservation. That was exciting and we were very appreciative. I was hoping it had a hot tub (wouldn’t you?) but alas it did not. Oh well.

The room was nice, although quite small. It was clean and I did not notice anything amiss. However, we did have a problem.

There were three blankets on the bed; a sheet, a bedspread, and a comforter. The bedspread and comforter are both paper thin, you can basically see right through it. Neither provided any warmth. I was freezing all night. The air conditioner seemed not to be working correctly. We had the air conditioner on low, and the second temp dial (from 1-10, 10 being the coldest) on 4 and we were still freezing. Turning below four was not cold air just air circulation. Mind you, I love it cold at night. But because the blankets were inadequate we basically froze. I actually slept in socks and a sweater; and I hate socks!!!! And the pillows were terrible. Small and flimsy. You put your head on it and you sink right down to the mattress. There were four pillows, so I squish one onto a ball, then put a second pillow in top of it. So the first night was not a comfortable sleep.

The next morning my husband spoke to someone at the front desk. We were told someone would look at the A/C unit and we would be brought additional blankets and pillows. We left for the day. We returned back to our room about 4pm. The room was freezing. The air was on high and the temp up to 10. I turned it off. We were given just one extra pillow and no extra blanket. After the air being off for 20 minutes I was still shivering so I put the heat on. Right away the air began to smoke and it set up our smoke alarm. We went down to the desk on our way out for the evening and were told there was no notation that our air conditioner needed to be looked at. We told them we only received 1 extra pillow and no blanket. They said they would send up another pillow and we should check the dresser for the blanket. We asked if we would be able to change rooms if we had to if they could not fix the air and were told we could not, due to availability. We then left for the evening. When we came back that air was just as we left it, no one came to look at it again. There was no extra pillow. Yes, the blanket was in the dresser. But we didn’t use it, because we chose to sleep with the air off and the window open. I did not trust the air, after it had smoked earlier. So we had another bad night of sleep.

As far as the rest of the hotel…free continental breakfast served 6am to 9am. They really should extend it passed 9am. Provided was cold cereal, oatmeal, a banana or orange, a Jimmy Dean Breakfast Sandwich, Sausage Corn Dog, yogurt, Bagels, English muffin, a cinnamon raisin muffin, and make your own waffles. I’ve had a lot better free continental breakfast. The bagel was very dry and tasteless. My husband said the same of the muffins. Even the fruit…either a banana or an orange, were yucky! The juice…either orange or apple…was dispense from a fountain machine and both came out warm. With Amish Country being so close, they should work with the local farmers and bakers and provide a better quality breakfast! We ourselves bought delicious breads, rolls, muffins, and fruit from the various Amish markets. I would have enjoyed seeing the hotel support the local community. The room where breakfast is laid out is rather small and both days (Saturday and Sunday) I had to wait for a table. There were some people sitting at the tables not eating but reading the paper. I feel as though the staff (who was present in the room) should have asked them if they could sit on one of the couches outside the room instead, giving guests the opportunity to eat sitting down instead of eating standing in the corner.

Overall, I did find the hotel clean. Because it was clean, I'll give this an average rating instead of a poor rating due to my experience.

It was very crowded that weekend; lots of families with children. The pool was small but OK. On Saturday night it was over crowded. Hot Tub next to the pool wasn’t working properly but I noticed the day we left they had fixed the knob for it.

The hotel certainly has potential to providing a better service, I think they need to work on a few things. For one, providing better customer service when a client has an issue with their room. And second, they really do need better bedding and pillows!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Lancaster? Share your experiences!