“Not sure what people are expecting...but I enjoyed it!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cove Haven Resort

You added Cove Haven Resort to your Saves list
Cove Haven Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   194 Lakeview Drive, Lakeville, PA 18438   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
SAVE UP TO 50%!!
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Lakeville
Somerset, New Jersey
“Not sure what people are expecting...but I enjoyed it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Ok - my boyfriend and I stayed here at the end of July (2013). After reading all of the incredibly negative reviews, I was very apprehensive. Neither of us had been here before, but my boyfriend's brother did come here years ago on his honeymoon. Now...would I go here on my honeymoon? Probably not. Did I go here expecting state of the art technology? Absolutely not. Did I come here hoping to have a somewhat kitschy experience with a man who I always have fun with? You bet. Now, to address some of the negatives that some people pointed out. People seem to complain about the smoking smell in the non-smoking rooms. I am a smoker. We got a non-smoking room because, even though I smoke, I prefer the room I'm sleeping in to not smell of stale smoke. Our room did NOT smell of smoke (and no, my sense of smell is not diminished by my smoking but if you don't believe that - my boyfriend does NOT smoke and he smelled nothing too). The "old" decor - seriously?? All you have to do is look at the pictures. This place isn't billed as being ultra modern or hip. It's a throwback to kind of...cheesy 70s/80s romance. It's fun, if you don't take everything too seriously. (As a side note, the tv's in the Juliet suites, where we stayed, have a dvd player/tv combo...so feel free to bring your...movies, of whatever kind.) The grounds were fine. We saw them mowing on a regular basis. Yes, there were a couple of buildings that were closed and one had a roof caved in. Honestly, though? I'm not about to complain that there are a couple of rooms unavailable since I had a perfectly nice room to stay in. What do I care? The food? It was what you'd expect from a resort. I didn't go in expecting Michelin starred food. I got tasty buffet-type food. The food was always hot; there was a good selection of foods ranging from pastas, to chicken, to beef to fish. There was a comedian that was amusing. There were bands that were not terrible. My major complaint was the indoor pool. It was hotter than the hot tubs next to them. I prefer a cooler pool to jump into after a soak in the hot tub. Overall, I'd definitely go for another 3-4 day getaway. Oh, and in case you didn't catch it - we stayed in a Juliet room, no champagne jacuzzi...which was more preferable for us. The Juliet rooms are actually more centrally located.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
RomanceManager, Manager at Cove Haven Resort, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Love you profile picture LadyIcarus! Thanks for sharing your experience. We'll see you next time.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
Lodi, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We celebrated our 1st year anniversary there we stayed for 2 nights. 1 night would of been enough! We stayed at the champagne tower room #720 it's supposed to be a non smoking room and it smells terrible like smoke and first thing I saw was a ashtray by the fire place :( oh well besides that the room was clean the food was good, great breakfast and the dinner was alright. The Resort definitely NEEDS a makeover! I don't recommend this resort for younger people we are 27 and 29 and we felt out of place. Byo and snacks to the room alcohol is not included.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
RomanceManager, Manager at Cove Haven Resort, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Happy anniversary Schila M. Thank you for spending it with us. And thank you for your feedback.
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Where to start... After reading the reviews and booking anyway I can honestly say I should have stayed away but for none of the reasons outlined in other reviews. Check In was pretty painless and we were off to our room quickly. The room (Cove Fantasy Suite) look like they are out of the 70s but were surprisingly clean. I had ordered a "Passion Package" which was delivered quickly to the room upon check in, more on this later. Dinner, their buffet, was pretty good and not wanting to sit with total strangers who were already seated and at various points in their meal we opted to be seated along and waited in the bar area for about 15 minutes for a table which wasn't too bad in my opinion considering the alternative. After dinner we decided to retire to our room to take advantage of the amenities. I took the fireplace log out of the Passion Package and put it into the fireplace and lit it and here is where the night started its downward spiral. As the fire burned we decided to jump into the jacuzzi to relax and after about an hour we get out and open the door separating the jacuzzi from the rest of the room and found it full of smoke which I couldn't help but breathe in and sets off an asthma attack for which I ended up going to the hospital emergency room. Be aware THE FIREPLACES ARE NOT MAINTAINED and neither are the SMOKE DETECTORS which never went off. This wasn't isolated to us because another couple on their honeymoon experienced the exact same issues with the fireplace in their room.

I think the most annoying part of that whole fiasco was the need to move ourselves 3x in the matter of the two nights we stayed there. There is more to rant about but I think I've pretty much summed up my feelings.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
RomanceManager, Manager at Cove Haven Resort, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the fireplace issue you encountered, however, I couldn't find this matter on record. Please consider emailing about your stay at PoconoRomance@covepoconoresorts.com so I can check out the suite you mentioned.
Orange, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

First stayed at Cove Haven on our anniversary 38 years ago and a few times after that but had not been back in many years. Cove harbor room was not so hot and to have an old TV with a slot for a VHS tape and bad picture quality is inexcusable. With the price of flat screen sets today and the quantity they would be buying this is not a good sign for their future or financial situation. The garden of eden apple room was much better and had one flat sceen and one old small tv. The food was excellent 38 years ago and still is and the service in the dining room is friendly and attentive. Maintenance is needed in many areas such as the indoor pool where a piece of rusted metal is hanging from the ceiling over the center of the pool and will drop in at some point (hopefully not on someones head). We were there originally in 1975 and Honest Phil had been there about 2 years. He struck me as a Howard Stern wannabe back then but he was generally funny. Some of his jokes are still funny and some are the same ones from 1975 but he now seems to have become a bit of a cranky old man who is a legend in his own mind. The people who came to this resort on their honeymoons when we did in the 70"s were mostly in their 20's or thirty's who spent much of their time in their rooms. Now it's a crowd much older. If you go to a resort in the summer the one thing you expect to do is go in the outside pool. But at Cove Haven the pools are so cold most people put their toe in and retreat or jump in and figure they will get used to it but give up after a minute at most. Cove Haven refuses to turn the heat up. They claim it's on but it's hard to believe. To go to a resort in August and not be able to use either of their 2 outside pools is outrageous and a sentiment shared by many of the people we talked to. The pools are not cleaned, the concrete is in disrepair and there are carpenter ants climbing over everything. One of the pools is in a nice setting but is surrounded by so many trees it is in shade virtually most of the day.The other pool looks like it belongs in a $29.95 a day highway motel. Maybe the Bates Motel. Much of what needs to be done at Cove Haven would involve long costly projects. But turing up the heat would not. I understand the economy we are in and the problems businesses face. But to be so arrogant and ignorant to not recognize one of the major focal points of summer vacations is sitting in the sun around a pool and swimming in that pool is both amazing and disappointing. I can't see myself going back because of this. At the price you pay, there has got to be someting better.

Room Tip: only stay in the garden of eden apple or the champagne tower.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback mike n. I have spoken to maintenance about your concerns with our outdoor pools and they have assured me that the pool heaters are on, however, our Pocono Mountain days have been hot and our nights have been very cool and it's harder for them to maintain the temperatures. Should any reader of this review have further queries or concerns about matters raised, don't hesitate to contact me at PoconoRomance@covepoconoresorts.com.
Birdsboro, Pennsylvania, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

Stayed at Cove Haven for our Anniversary. Friday-Sunday, we're in our ealy 40s.

The room--Stayed in Champaign Towers. My wife (she can be particular) didn't like it as soon as we walked in. It needs a make over. Furniture is very worn and uncomforatable. The room also had a 70s motel odor that you never really got used to. The pool in the room was nice/comforatable and the Champaign tower/tub was also nice. If you go when it is hot the AC has a tough time keeping up. A little more natural light would help. Grade C+

The Food--The dinning room was nice. Kinda reminds you of an older cruise ship dinning area. The tables seat 4 couples or you can wait 20-40 minutes and eat at a private table. Our service was fine although you can wait a while to get a beverage. The buffet was average, typical buffet food, not great but not awful. The sit down meal ordered off the menu (Stip night, steak) was much better although time consuming (around 2 hours). The breakfast buffet was fine (it's tough to mess up a breakfast buffet) Grade B+

The Entertainment--We went each evening to to see the band and comedians. Everybody has different tastes in both but in General they seem to get decent comedians and the bands were talented musicians. The MC was also good and funny. Grade A- (I would have given an A but the chairs in this place are very uncomforatable.

The facility--Not the prettiest place. It has the feel of and industrial complex or business park. Flat roof buildings, little to no plants or flowers, minimal landscaping and hilly. If your room is up the hill it can be tough to walk to/from the dinning room. The place doesn't invite you outside to walk or roam the facility. They need more sidewalks and stairways and landscaping. Grade C-

Overall the place was Okay at best. It was not worth what we paid to stay, even with our discount coupon. The unique part about Cove Haven is that there are deer everywhere and they are very tame. My advice--spend a little more and go on a cruse or go to a Sandals resort

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
RomanceManager, Manager at Cove Haven Resort, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Happy anniversary Dave G! Thanks for spending the special occasion with us. And than you for taking the time to review your stay.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Cove Haven with my boyfriend for the Chelsea Lately comedians that were performing that week. We requested an early check in only to arrive on time for regular check in and discover our room was not ready. We waited over an hour to be called for our room. We finally made it to our room. We decided to stay in for dinner and ordered room service. I went with the chicken which wasn't too bad. My bf went with the beef and he was not a happy camper. totally looked like a hospital platter. The meat was dry and totally discolored. It was grey! We have stayed at Paradise Stream April this year and came back to Cove Haven expecting the awesome service we got there but we were totally disappointed. We plan to come back and stay at Pocono Palace in hopes of a great time.

• Stayed August 2013
Thanks you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I will be reviewing your experience with our Chef. See you at Pocono Palace.
Derby, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

We traveled to Cove Haven on Wednesday, August 7 and stayed till Monday, August 12. Overall, we had a great time, relaxing, fun and romantic. I'll start with our room's highs and lows -- decor-wise we stepped back in time (and not in a good way). The rooms are outdated and need a general face-lift. Rooms need more outlets for modern conveniences, wifi should be installed and the tv's need a serious upgrade and the couches need to be bigger and more comfy. On a high note, we loved the view from our balcony (the lake and the deer walking around), the heart-shaped tub and the two person shower -- and our bed was quite comfortable.

The food -- we loved the breakfast buffet and and, in addition to that, you could order a meal from the kitchen. Dinners were hit and miss. Our favorite meals were the two sit-down meals -- especially the "Strip-Night" (steaks, LOL!) and yet that night dinner took approx. 2 hours! One of the buffet meals was OK, the other "international night" was a total miss. That night we pretty much had dessert for dinner. We had one lunch at the cafe which was good. We also had burgers and hot dogs at the pool and those were delicious!

The grounds -- the old buildings need to come down, they are a total eyesore. More general maintenance is needed -- decks and room balconies are in serious need of attention. On the plus side, we LOVED being so close to the deer family!

Activities -- loved the boat ride around the lake and did this twice, enjoyed the hot tub and the pool as well as billiards. We would have played pool longer, but there was not much air conditioning in the building. We had fun participating in one of the trivia contests. We enjoyed all of the comedians. During our stay, we saw two bands. We didn't really care for "Polyester", but LOVED "The Bridesmaids".

Off site -- on our two rainy days we drove to the movies (60 min and 45 min respectively). On Saturday, we went to "The Lost Trails" and for approx $150 we did a 1.5 hour ATV/wildcat ride. So incredibly awesome!

Would we come back? I don't know. My sister and her husband are forever lovers and they adore this place. My husband and I travel differently and haven't yet gone back to the same place twice.

Room Tip: we stayed in the harbor towers. LOVED our 2-person shower -- not sure if the other rooms have them.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
RomanceManager, Manager at Cove Haven Resort, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thanks for sharing your experience aileencsm40. If you loved the Harbour Tower, you need to check out our Garden of Eden Apple or Champagne Tower suite! We hope you decide to return!

Been to Cove Haven Resort? Share your experiences!