“Need better housekeeping” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Split Rock Resort & Golf Club

You added Split Rock Resort & Golf Club to your Saves list
Split Rock Resort & Golf Club
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   100 Moseywood Road, PO Box 567, Lake Harmony, PA 18624   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lake Harmony
New York
“Need better housekeeping”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

This is a fun place with a few issues. First, we stayed at the Lodge which is only a short distance from the main building. We were able to check in to our room early, however it was not what I would consider clean. There was dried up urine on the toilet seat and my son found a raisin and loose candy on the floor. The other thing I was unhappy with was they closed the pool in the Lodge on Saturday evening at 8:30 pm and Sunday morning for a private event. I was with a large group with lots of kids and we would have used the pool during those times. They should have made us aware of the situation when we booked. Our room had horrible lighting. Our friend's room was much bigger and brighter so I guess it depends on what floor you are on. We had breakfast in the restaurant but they were completely unprepared for a large group. Only 2 waffle irons were in operation and everyone wanted a waffle so it took quite some time. I would go back again with a group of friends but would not go to this resort with only my family. There are better places out there.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 3rd floor of the Lodge are nicer.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

2/22-2/24/12 - Once again, we made our President's Week trip to Split Rock Resort/Galleria. We chose to spend 2 nites and three days since last year the one night just wasn't enough time to comfortably enjoy a day at the waterpark and a day which we had planned tubing at Jack Frost Mountain. The Resort was greatly accommodating when we requested our 5th floor room be moved to the third floor due to a disability my husband experiences. This allowed for a short walk to the activities on the Lobby level. Again, we remembered to bring our own towels, some food items since the rooms provide kitchen facilities, where we were able to enjoy pancake breakfasts and sandwiches, drinks and snacks for lunch. We chose to use the resort dining for dinners only, which saved us a great amount of money for the three days. Jack Frost was only open until 4 for tubing so we chose to go to Big Boulder for the 4-7pm session of tubing where my 9 year old enjoyed the man-made snow for the 3 hours. We did have an issue in the cafe at Big Boulder, since the bar stools at the cafe tables were sooo old the leg broke and my son went crashing down to the floor. We were fortunate enough that he was unhurt and just a bit embarrassed and overwhelmed from all the attention and ski patrol care. If it would have been my husband or myself it would have been a much more serious situation since I'm sure we would not have bounced back up from the fall as a child does. Other than that, he enjoyed the tubing and they were nice enough to recommend watching the tubers before purchasing tickets just in case we were unhappy with the conditions and wanted our money back. They do not give refunds once tixs are purchased. We chose to eat at Shennanigan's on the way back to the resort and we would highly recommend the burgers! They were huge and very tasty. Another diner had suggested the wings as well. We stuck with the burgers and were quite happy. We did choose to eat at the Galleria Pizzeria on the last nite and can just say it was "okay." Nothing spectacular. Pizza, calzone, chicken cutlet hero, mozzarella sticks and what they call bear claws (garlic knots). We enjoyed the Bingo, although we did not win this time. My son loved the arcade and next time we'll let him do the glow bowling that looked like fun. The place is outdated as everyone mentions, but the activities are there for the family to enjoy if you are not adament on a 5 star experience and resort. The location and travel time to Long Island is a big plus as well. With gas prices so high these days, keeping the driving distance to a minimal saves gas costs. We had contemplated going back to Great Wolf but were unable to even get an available date and no discounts for that week whatsoever! Very expensive...so we chose once again to give Split Rock a try. Using the observer pass for myself, since I do not go in the water was also cost saving. The chlorine levels seemed a bit better this year and my son's sensitive eyes seemed to get through the day without turning into tomatoes as usual. He had not even used his goggles this time and seemed to be okay. One issue in the waterpark was a family that continually chose to change a toddlers diaper in the public and use the floor for the dirty diaper. There are changing rooms/bathrooms for this and I found it quite rude, inconsiderate and unsanitary since visitors are all walking barefoot on the same floor they chose to plop their child's dirty diaper. Futhermore, toddlers are required to use "swim diapers," which this family was definately NOT using. Hopefully, the facility will keep better track of situations like this and inform the family of the proper usage of swim apparel and disposing of these items when done. Ultimately, we will visit Split Rock once again next year and will arrange for a ski/ski boarding lesson and day on the mountain since my son loved the tubing so much and is looking forward to learning to become a skier/skiboarder. Equipment is available for renting so we will consider that as well. Sometimes, you have to go for the adventure and give a place the benefit of the doubt! We had no problem with staff at all once again, but did recommend sponges for kitchen sinks and rolls of bounty as well. Which they did provide for us when requested. They commented these items were provided for timeshare visitors only? Hopefully, they will reconsider for guests staying longer than one nite? We will continue to choose the Galleria building since it is the most convenient for the waterpark and activities although, we have been told the WillowBrook is the most updated and modern. If that is a concern for you over convenience...try the Willow Brook section, but give Split Rock a try!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
romeyd04, Guest Relations Manager at Split Rock Resort & Golf Club, responded to this review, March 5, 2012
Thank you for your comments about Split Rock Resort. We love to hear from our repeat guests and how their experience is from year to year. We look forward to seeing you again next year.
Lutherville, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

We had a lot of doubts before we went there for our time share week. We didn't stay for a full week because we can't, but this place is very quiet (during our stay), clean, and the water park was a big thing for our kids...they had so much fun. We also did dog sled, while there wasn't much snow, we did ride the sled by ourself which is an unforgettable experience. The food at Bellago is just OK but the atmosphere is very nice there. I also think their service is outstanding in this price range.

Mt Lakes
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

They checked me into the wrong room, we had to repack, and move again. The water park was closed for several days and we were never informed until we found out (they had no clue!). They offered me free bowling instead of something meaningful. Terrible service! I have never campaigned before but there is no way I will ever do that again....left 2 days early!

Also- what is with the $1 charge to drive into the resort that you are staying...each time you drive in...give me a brake!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments about Split Rock Resort. We apologize that you felt your whole trip was ruined due to the Waterpark not being opened. We try to accommodate our guests if one area is not open for the day you want to use it. I show your check in was over the last weekend of president's week were the Waterpark was open on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday and I apologize that it was not open for your last two days of your stay. We hope you will join us again during the summer when the waterpark is open everyday during the week.
College Point, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

We have been vacationing at Split Rock and its sister resort, Mountain Laurel Resort & Spa, located approximately four miles away, for quite a few years now. I am an owner at Mt. Laurel. This is actually the first time we stayed in the Willowbrook section of Split Rock. I would say that this section is probably the best portion of Split Rock to stay in. Not only are the crowds much less over there, but you won’t encounter all of the other headaches associated with those crowds. For example, those six buildings in Willowbrook are located down a new road that never seems to have much traffic. Even the parking situation was great. We never had to park very far away from the building, like we usually did when we drove to the main building at Split Rock. Our elevator always arrived very quickly and we did not hear any screaming kids at any hour of the day or night. We actually expected to hear many kids running around and playing since the week was Presidents week and most kids were off from school, but that was not the case at Willowbrook.

We stayed in a one bedroom deluxe, which means that there is a Jacuzzi inside the bathroom. Let me begin by stating how Split Rock is certainly an expensive resort to stay at. As an owner, I managed to pay a few hundred dollars less than a non-owner. Otherwise, Willowbrook for the week would have cost us a small fortune. Other than the high cost, everything else was just fine. Every single employee we encountered was exceedingly friendly and really tried to appropriately respond to our concerns. When we called the front desk on one occasion, a Split Rock employee subsequently arrived promptly and with our extra blankets and pillows. Even when we needed a toilet plunger and called on another occasion, that employee came to our door so quickly. Unfortunately though, we had to call the front desk repeatedly because our calls went unanswered a few times.

Overall, my family and I enjoyed all of the activities we participated in. There were just so many activities to select from. More importantly, the activities listed did not conflict with each other, like they do in many other Poconos resorts. One important thing, if you are an owner, even over at Mt. Laurel, you must tell them at the front desk because they will give you a discount card for ten percent off at Split Rock. We used that card at the bowling alley and when we ordered food at the restaurants there. Also, we managed to partake for free in many other activities that they typically charge for, like billiards, tennis, etc.

Here’s the GOOD: two decent sized pools (other one is located in the Lodge and not as crowded as the main pool); our unit had two decent sized flat screen televisions; full kitchen; gas fireplace (this definitely heated up the place very quickly, although we had to constantly smell propane whenever we switched it on); great water pressure in shower; balcony was convenient; Jacuzzi was pretty big; the activities are centrally located in the main building; my kids and I thoroughly enjoyed riding our Segway "don’t call em scooters" on the weekend. This was, undeniably, the best bargain anywhere at Split Rock. For five dollars you were able to ride one of these marvelous inventions for approximately 15 minutes inside the gymnasium. That may not seem like a long time but when you’re riding one of these, it feels like forever.

Now for the BAD: indoor waterpark is significantly overpriced (even by New York City standards); most of the furniture in our unit was really outdated and required obvious updating; bed should have been a queen, not a full size; mattress was hard; pillows were flat; living room carpet was old; everyone must pay a one dollar toll at the gate every single time you venture outside the resort, ie, the local Wawa, gas station, etc. We always requested receipts and then used them at the bowling alley and at a restaurant.

This is the perfect place for a fabulous family getaway. We will be back later this year.

Room Tip: Request to stay in Willowbrook if you don't mind driving a few extra minutes from the main build...
Bridgewater, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

I stayed at the Willowbrook suites from 2/24/12 - 2/26/12 with my significant other. This was my first visit to the resort. The suite was very clean and roomy with a full kitchen, living room and nice bathroom jacuzzi. The downside is, the rooms look very old and outdated. The furniture and wall paper looks as though it is from the 70s. The room even had a VCR!! Who is bringing VHS tapes??? Too funny! Thank God we traveled with a group of friends that brought food and alcohol since most restaurants in that area close at 11 pm and the suite is really secluded. I did have a great time tubing and would most likely visit the area again but not stay at the Split Rock Resort.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

Standard "Catskill-like resort"...on the older side but a great set up for families to stay for a good time. Rooms/beds could use a bit of updating, but they had everything you needed. Full kitchen with dishwasher, fireplace, etc. One of the bathroooms had a jacuzzi tub and sauna. Food in the area was typically average, although my brother and his family raved about Piggy's for breakfast. Most importanly, the resort had TONS of activities for the kids!

Room Tip: We comfortably slept 7 in a two bedroom with a couch and pull out sofa.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
romeyd04, Guest Relations Manager at Split Rock Resort & Golf Club, responded to this review, February 26, 2012
Thank you for your comments. We are glad that you and your family enjoyed your stay. We try to offer a lot of activities for all ages. We look forward to your next reservation.

Been to Split Rock Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!