“Pocono Segway Tours- SAVE YOUR MONEY!” 1 of 5 stars

1.888.734.9299
Website
Improve this listing
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Pocono Segway Tours- SAVE YOUR MONEY!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I purchased two Living Social Deals for Pocono Segway tours – each a 7-mile Guided Segway tour for two people. Their website description: “There are 25 miles of roads within the resort property which gives us great opportunity to shake up our tour a little each year. But don’t fret, we will still visit the ‘Rock’ at the top of the mountain, visit the beach and tour around a good portion of the lake. Our standard tour is our 7-mile glide which last from 75 to 90 minutes. Seriously, this is one GREAT tour.” The description also says you will be grinning from ear to ear. This was definitely not our experience!!

I should have been suspicious of the quality of this company and tour when I called to make the reservation and found out that they only have 4 machines at this location. I was told it was a safety issue. Seriously? I have done many tours before and have not had a problem with a group tour up to 10 people. But, I was optimistic that it would be a good day. I clearly informed the reservationist that I had vouchers for the 7-mile tour. She did not want voucher numbers over the phone. I was told to bring them on the day of the tour.

The four of us arrived and were taken into a shed to sign the paperwork and our vouchers were tossed onto the shelf, unread. Helmets were on other shelves. I asked if they had been sprayed prior to use, but no sprays were evident. My husband heard a sarcastic "Yes" from the guide. Again, I just overlooked it and prayed that I wouldn’t get lice.
The tour began and we departed the parking lot at 12:30, the time of our reservation. Two of our party had never been on Segways before, but the guide encouraged them. We traveled slowly and he pointed out parts of Split Rock Resort. We were there to ride, not particularly hear about restaurants and accommodations~ I can read that online.
Imagine my dismay and disappointment when we rode back into the parking lot at 1:00 and he announced the tour was over. We had hardly covered any distance at all. I told him (twice!!) that this tour was not what I had paid for. He took no ownership for checking the vouchers and just said he doesn’t make reservations. Not a very helpful attitude to say the least. I should also note that another car pulled up at 1:00, presumably for the next tour. When we got back in the car, I immediately called their number and no answer. The same reservationist I had spoken to when booking returned my call at 1:13 PM and said she could do nothing to help. She just makes reservations. Hello?? You made my reservation. She referred me to an email address for the owner, Dennis Rogers. I sent an email asking for half of my money back since I had gotten less than half of what I paid for. His response was to write to Living Social and ask for a refund and that they rarely ask questions. In fact, he told me how to word the email. He hoped this would be a satisfactory resolution. Of course, Living Social would not offer a refund. I could gift the tour or just use the paid amount for a future ride. No thank you!! I won’t drive that far or take another day off from work for such a poor experience.
I wrote back to the owner to ask how this could be resolved. It’s been several weeks, and no reply, even though I resent the email. It’s now only fair to share our experience with others who are looking for something to do in the Poconos. Their website says they have also moved machines up to a resort in the Catskills. I wonder if they shortchange riders there as well.
The four of us felt this tour sounded like more of a pitch for the resort, although supposedly no timeshares are available at this time. Never saw the rock at the top of the mountain, never went partway around the lake…..I turned down the Mall Cop driver’s license at the end of the tour ~ way too junior high for me. Name is not Blart!
My advice…..do yourself a favor and avoid this tour. Save your money for a real Segway tour where you get what you paid for!

Visited August 2013