“Will Never Go Back” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Lunch, Delivery
Description: Local hidden treasure of grilled meats and smoked ribs, pulled pork over a wood fire. Homemade sauces and sides. On and off site catered events. byob on our patio or inside.
Absecon, New Jersey
“Will Never Go Back”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

My husband and I wanted dinner after a workshop at the Rodale Institute. Letterman's Diner wasn't open and we walked down the street to CC's Wooden Grill. We opened the door and saw no one in the restaurant and we looked at each other knowing what that usually means in our experience. Reluctantly, we sat down because we were tired, hungry, and 2 hours away from home.

We ordered an appetizer sampler of ribs, chicken wings, and mozzarella sticks. I told the server to hold off on our main order so we can see how everything tastes. The ribs were terrible, I am so glad I didn’t plop right into the place and put an order in for a $24.99 full rack because they were tougher then shoe leather. The chicken wings were pretty good but the star of the platter was the mozzarella sticks, not greasy and pleasing to eat. So we decide to put an order in for dinner.

My husband got a Italian porkette sandwich with fries and I ordered a pulled pork sandwich with a sausage corn chowder soup. We should’ve stuck with mozzarella sticks but hindsight is 20/20…

So I watch the cook (you can see into the kitchen and prep area) dish out my soup and put it in the microwave, I was nervous because I hate microwaved meat. So she gives it to the server who puts it in front of me and I couldn’t believe my eyes, where I come from chowder is thick, this was milk, no joke milk with frozen lima beans and corn in it and tasteless dried out sausage. The soup had the workings of being very good, the flavor was excellent but it was actually watery, not thick like chowder should be.

I noticed the cook coming out of the kitchen and taking meat outside which I figured the BBQ pit was, I’ve seen places that have that outside my problem was never once did I see her wash her hands, constantly back and forth, touching the door, touching meat and never washing her hands, I knew this meal was doomed. Then she went into a back room and came out with a plate of meat that looked frozen I couldn’t tell and she put it in the microwave, my husband and I took a bet on who’s pork was being microwaved (please not we were the only people in there so there was no mistake on what she was doing). Food came out and my pulled pork was bland but edible my main gripe was it being lukewarm, no extra BBQ sauce was served with this sandwich it left me annoyed.

My husband won the microwaved meat award this night because his pork was like shoe leather and low and behold it was 90% fat, we opened the bun and asked if they were joking. I can’t tell you all well enough how miserable he was appalled that she would have the audacity to serve him a microwaved pork sandwich of fat, I felt like I was going to vomit just looking at what they gave him and I ran to the bathroom psychosamatically thinking I just consumed an entire pulled pork sandwich of fat.

My husband sent the sandwich back and the cook said to the server, “Your generation is so emotional.” I tell you what my tripadvisor friends, I am emotional when it comes to paying for garbage, this cook was a joke and she should be ashamed for serving microwaved fat to my husband. I would’ve been better off eating at McDonalds.

• Visited March 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

“Great food...really nice people”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011 via mobile

The food is delicious and is priced right. The ambiance is so-so inside but very clean.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Best burgers in Kutztown”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011 via mobile

Great flame-cooked burgers and sandwiches ... Nice outdoor patio

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

If you own or manage CC'S Wooden Grill, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.