“Gilligan's Island Suite” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in King of Prussia
usa
“Gilligan's Island Suite”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2008

My husband and I wanted to do something special for our 20th wedding anniversary. We have two children so going away for an extended vacation can be a hassle so we decided to stay close to home. I contacted the hotel directly (in-house reservations) for our "fantasy" suite experience. We booked the GI suite since we weren't able to actually take the island trip we truly wanted. They emailed me our GI Fantasy Suite confirmation number/information quickly. Upon check-in the clerk seemed somewhat agitated with our reservation. "Fantasy" suites are on the 15th floor. Note - elevator only goes to 14 so you have to walk up a flight of stairs for 15 (this was not shared with us at check-in). Thank goodness we didn't have too much luggage. Our room number was 1520 but we quickly found out that 1520 was not GI but another fantasy. A nice member of the cleaning staff was kind enough to show us GI which was nicer than the one given to us at check-in. Being this is our 20 year anniversary I was not about to get taken over so I trekked it back down to the lobby (elevators are really quick). I explained the situation to the clerk. She responded by telling me that the "confirmation" response I received was not a confirmation. It was only stating my request. Since when is a confirmation number not a confirmation and only a request. The more she talked the more agitated I became. Of course I asked for a manager. Manager did not come out but the clerk went behind a closed door to talk to a manager. She came out and said that I had called that day to request a different room. No such thing happened. Then she tried to say that a bride checked in that day. The room was not occupied at all by anyone. They reluctantly made the switch and off I went. I can see why now the clerk was agitated. She must have known there was going to be room issues. As I approached the room a maintenance man was coming out of the room with my husband. They had to strengthen the tv stand that looks like it is just connected to a piece of bamboo. You have to walk under this tv to get to the jacuzzi tub spickets. Thank goodness I am short and petite. I assume people have knocked into this tv stand many times and have loosened it up. The room was decorated pretty cool with netting, ivy and bamboo walls. Pics of GI family here and there.
The jacuzzi tub is in need of much repair. Would be cool if they made it look more like the SS Minnow but is nice and pretty big. Room service brought a bottle of champagne and two glasses that we did share in the nice warm jacuzzi. They tried to push their services but we did not use room service due to the high service charges.
Shower/toilet area is pretty small and definitely needs updating.
Bed was really comfortable (thankfully didn't see any bed bugs). Pillows were awful (bring your own). I did not sleep well this night due to the little uncomfortable pillows.
Our room rate included a $75 dinner voucher and two breakfast buffets. We enjoyed a good steak and lobster dinner at Chumley's. Friendly staff and service was good. If you are a sports fan you will like this restaurant (lots of tvs).
Breakfast buffet was at Cafe Soleil. Pretty good buffet, friendly staff and service was good also.
We had an issue with our room cards not opening our door. I assume it was because the clerk never deactivated the old room number. Which kind of left me felling a little insecure that someone else could get in our room. Thankfully there is a deadbolt for extra security.
Room is supplied with toiltetries and a couple water bottles. Room did not have bubble bath for the jacuzzi.
All in all our stay at the Radisson VF was pleasant and would return.

• Liked — Large room, large jacuzzi, comfy bed, private
  • Disliked — Terrible pillows, check-in tried to mess with our suite reservation
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2008

The main reason I am writing a review was because after I booked my room I read the other reviews on this website and I wasn't sure if I would like the room. (On the website you can't book the individual fantasy suites or even see which ones are available - you have to call the hotel which is a pain because they are only open 9 - 5.) I told my husband that when we got there we could check out the room and if it was that bad we wouldn't stay the night. The guy at the front desk when we checked in was very nice. It's no big deal to take the elevator to the 14th floor and then walk to the 15th. Maybe that's because I knew that from reading the reviews and we didn't have a lot of luggage. (I wonder how people who may be in wheelchairs would feel and I too think that when you book the room they should let you know.) Anyway, when we get up to the 15th floor, it's neat because you see many of the doors for the other fantasy suites and each have the name on the door with decorative descriptions. Ours had a life preserver. This sets the scene. When you walk into the Titanic Suite, there is a silver staircase (could use an extra coat of spraypaint) and a nice vanity area. There is some scenery on the wall with a 3D life boat and some icebergs. I thought this was cute. Then there is another door with a porthole in it. This opens up into a small sitting area and then the king sized bed is on a platform in the center (Be advised, you will trip over it at least once during your stay!). The bed was not a sleep number bed as in their regular rooms but it's comfortable other than the scratchy sheets. There is an older hot tub (kind of a weird shape) in the middle of the room. One thing I didn't expect is the wall behind it and the ceiling above the bed are mirrored. The bubble bath they give you for the hot tub and the hot tub itself are very relaxing and enjoyable. It did have water (see other reviews) and was in working order. The room had wooden walls and was themed after the original titanic state room. It had a nice appearance but the carpet was faded and definitely in need of replacing.

As soon as we got into the room the phone was ringing and they wanted to bring us some champagne and sell us the room service. We declined the room service and they brought up a free full sized bottle of champagne and glasses which was a nice touch. One thing I did think was that the bathroom was pretty small considering that the room was so large. The ceiling had a small amount of peeling paper probably due to moisture. It didn't bother me that there were no windows because of the exra room leading out felt so large.. The woman at check out was very nice and I asked her if the fantasy suites were popular. Suprisingly she said they were not because most people don't like the fact that there are no windows in them.

A couple of things about the room compared to some other reviews: It did not smell at all. It was clean. There were no bed bugs at all (and I looked!). Staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Overall, we had a wonderful time, enjoyed what the room and the area had to offer, and fell in love all over again!

• Liked — Nice romantic getaway in a great location!
  • Disliked — Room needed some minor TLC.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Westchester, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2008

The visit began with a 30 minute wait to check-in, followed by an indifferent young woman at the desk who informed us that the rooms were not clean, so we would have to wait and get on line again. My husband approached a man standing on the side in the lobby and ,fortunately, he was able to get us a room within 15 mins. Once in the room, our duvet had small blood stains on it and we had to call 3 times to get an extra blanket and it took over 6 hours! Then my 2 yr old had an allergic reaction to something she ate (not from the hotel) and vomitted on the carpet. We called to get it cleaned (I would have actually done it myself if they would have given me some cleaner)...no response. Called a second time...no response. Finally went down to the desk myself and someone finally came up.

I do have to say that the staff members around the hotel are very nice, but the desk staff is not very friendly. And if you need something, I hope it's not an emergency! Overall I just expected more from a Radisson Hotel.

• Liked — The fact that it's attached to the convention center.
  • Disliked — The front desk staff.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
foote2708
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2008

When I booked my hotel room at the Radisson Valley Forge I was excited, then I looked at Trip Advisor and became very upset at all the bad reviews and thought that I made a horrible choice. I decided to keep the reservations as we were attending a scrapbook convention and it was more important to be close to the convention center. First, don't listen to the negative reviews. The hotel was great! The rooms were very clean, the bed was HUGE and was also a sleep number bed which is just awesome! We arrived early around 11, and check in wasn't until 3pm, they found a room for us and let us check in. The lady at the front desk was very nice and seemed interested in what brought me to stay at the hotel. Everything was great and I"m glad I did not listen to the bad reviewers.
Also it was so nice just to be able to walk inside to the convention center. Definantly a plus!

• Liked — the sleep number bed
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Madras, OR
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2008

Who wants to sleep with bed bugs? We have all heard of them and now you too can go visit with them and sleep with them at the Radisson Hotel Valley Forge. Hotel looks fine, staff was okay. Room was clean. We were pleased, until the first bed bug came crawling up my girlfriend's side of the bed while we were relaxing with the lights on.

We had never seen bed bugs but this was the real deal. It is a flat brown bug that is shaped like a very flat tick but has the color of a brown cockroach. I was too tired to care, we killed the bug and went to sleep after tearing apart the bed looking for more bugs (we found none that time).

The next morning I had several bites on my legs and my girlfriend had bites on her arms. No sign of bugs until I tore apart the bed and mattress and found another bug in the mattress under one of the stitch folds.

We quietly told management at check out, they acted appalled. But it seemed like an act. They offered a free breakfast and we turned it down and got the hell out of there.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Bed Bugs
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
NY, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2008

First of all there were rooms in the basement, which means there were NO WINDOWS. If you are ever unlucky enough to stay at the Radisson Valley Forge, refuse to be placed in the basement for $200 a night. Secondly, the rooms are themed. Mine was Arabian which included the a gross jacuzzi situated right next to the bed. Then there was a small staircase leading to a lofted bed. The CARPETED ceiling was maybe a foot and half away from the top of the mattress. The sides of this lofted oasis had moroccan paneling, which is pretty but frightening in this setting. All I did was look up at the loft as I lied in bed thinking that someone was peering down at me through the panels. And to top it off there was no place to put my luggage. I had to use the jacuzzi as a surface for my bags. The only reason I stayed in this DUMP was because I was too tired to change my room and I was leaving in only a few hours. I'll never be too tired again.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Norristown, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2008

This was our second time staying at the Fantasy Suites at the Radisson. We loved the Shogun room from our previous stay, so decided to spend another anniversary here.

The Timbuktu room was really neat- great decorations, beautiful murals and a huge tub. It set the tone for a fun evening.

The problem we encountered was at 2:15am, when the neighbors would not end their party or the door slamming or the hallway obscenity shouting. I called security. And I had to call security again at 2:50am. I appreciate a good party, but this was ridiculous. The noise eventually died down/ passed out at 3:30am.
During check-out I expressed my disappointment to the Manager about security's total lack of response. He apologized and reduced the bill by one fourth.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay. The Timbuktu room was extraordinary.

• Liked — Huge Tub
  • Disliked — Security would not help with noise complaints, long line at check-out
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Radisson Hotel Valley Forge? Share your experiences!