“Eat upstairs where it nicer” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Long Island
“Eat upstairs where it nicer”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

This was a convienent stop after visiting the gardens. The downstairs is very pub like and almost sterile. The upstairs was much nicer to eat in

Visited May 2012

Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
“Unprofessional Service, Overrated Food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Upon driving nearly 100 miles to experience this unique menu, my girlfriend and I were rushed from the moment we sat down. Our server offered no information regarding the wild game on the menu, only kept stalking the table to get an order. I understand saturday nights are "turn and burn" situations for servers, but at 5pm, the restaurant was mostly empty. To get a feel of some of the unique menu offerings, I ordered a "Chef's Choice" sampler of wild game, expecting an explanation from the server to ensure I knew what I was getting, but none was offered. When it arrived, I was a little taken back at the extremely meager portions considering it costed $15. At this point, I was informed that it contained a sample of each of the following: kangaroo, venison, and wild boar. There were literally two very small bites of each included. I wanted to order a bottle of wine to enjoy with my wild boar shank that I had just had a small sample of, but after having the sampler delivered, our server wasn't seen again until entrees arrived. At this point I ordered a bottle of wine; I took two small bites of the shank which was dry and room temperature; the sauce in the dish had a thick skin already. Ten minutes passed before I was informed the wine I requested was out of stock; it would be ten more minutes until the alternate bottle I ordered would be delivered at which point I notified the server I was unsatisfied with my experience to which she just smiled and walked away. Normally I wouldn't get this upset but having traveled so far, and given the bloated menu prices, I felt I was entitled to not settle. I placed my cold entree at the edge of the table to drop the hint. The server arrived a few minutes later to offer "nuking" it in the back for me...yes, she offered to reheat and already seemingly reheated dish to account for the disparity in quality and service. It would be a few more minutes until a manager addressed the situation, apologized for the lack of professionalism of her staff and comping the entree; the server should have involved her from the beginning to avoid the majority of my dissatisfaction. Ultimately, I requested a burger at no charge becuase I really just wanted to leave and forget the entire experience and because I was starving! So essentially, I drove a hundred miles for a $13 burger. While this menu is exotic and unique, it is way overpriced, portions are small, and food and service lack passion. A good place for burgers if you live locally, but definitely do not go out of your way for this place!!!

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
chicago
“Exotic fare”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We had to had the signature crab nachos.. they were delicious and filling. Then the kangaroo and the bison dishes were awesome.

Visited June 2012
PA
“Repeat customers. Good beer selection, good meats.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

Sit upstairs for better ambiance. Food is a mix: some things are outstanding, some things are so-so. Great beer selection and descriptions! A routine standard for us because of the variety and off-normal food choices.

Visited June 2012
Blueys Beach, Australia
“Divine food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

I intended Half Moon Restaurant & Saloon to be a break from the more up-market dining we've experienced on our 5 week road trip. I wanted my husband to enjoy the atmosphere of a unique saloon with wild game burgers and craft beers. What I didn't expect was to personally have a dish equal to and in some cases better than many of the fine dining restaurants we've been to in the last couple of weeks. My entree of roasted Swordfish, butter braised beets, brussel sprouts, blood orange, leeks and chive vinaigrette was delicious and the flavours perfectly balanced. My only disappointment was that the blood orange had been replaced with orange or mandarin segments without prior notification. The dish was perfect any way although not a large portion as the price reflects. Unfortunately the rooftop dining area was not open due to the weather.

• Visited May 2012