“It Was Good, Just Not As Good as Expected” 4 of 5 stars

+1 610-388-5290
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
1906 at Longwood Gardens is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Route 1
Description: In the midst of 1000 acres of one of the world's premiere horticulture centers, 1906 at Longwood Gardens offers a fine dining experience that is unparalleled. Enjoy lunch daily and dinner seasonally with a view of the Longwood Conservatory and the gardens of the former du Pont estate. GARDEN ADMISSION IS REQUIRED TO ACCESS THE RESTAURANT.
Mays Landing, New Jersey
“It Was Good, Just Not As Good as Expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

My wife and I ate at 1906 one evening during Longwood's Christmas program. The restaurant was nice, they were fairly prompt with time relative to our reservation, and the food was pretty good.

First the positive. The food was very well prepared. I had their trout selection and it was cooked perfectly. For an appetizer, I had their pork belly selection and it was very tender and flavorful. The server was friendly and the atmosphere was quiet and romantic.

However, while the service was friendly, I found the waitstaff to be very poorly trained in explaining menu items. They did not have knowledge of much on the menu and I question whether or not they are actually a dedicated staff for 1906 or Longwood in general. For that level of restaurant, I expect waitstaff to be able to not only explain dishes, but to sell them and make me and anyone excited about eating them.

The food, while well prepared and flavorful, had some issues. The largest being the fact that they generally provide some kind of a sauce on the plate for what they gave you, but not nearly enough. Basically, you get a few bites of your meal with whatever sauce was prepared for it and the rest just bare. I find that really not only inexplicable but really inexcusable. Why prepare a pared sauce specifically for that meal and then only give enough to 2 or 3 bites?

All in all, it was a good experience. It was not average enough to merit a 3, but I have eaten at better 4's. Consider this a low 4.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Laurys Station, Pennsylvania
“Heavenly Food in a Lovely Setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I have eaten at the 1906 restaurant for brunch out on the patio and enjoyed the meal and the beautiful surroundings.

Visited May 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Surprisingly excellent restaurant at Longwood Gardens”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I frankly did not expect a fine dining experience during our visit to Longwood Gardens. But 1906 definitely provides it. The setting on the outside terrace is very inviting and charming, and the menu offers a wonderful choice of local food. We had a delicious meal for our lunch there accompanied by excellent service.,

Visited December 2012
New Jersey, USA
“A Nice Surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

Longwood Gardens at Christmas time is lovely, particularly at night. We ate a late lunch at 1906 this year and found the food, service and ambiance to be first class - unusual in this type of setting.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
“Excellent all the way around -- plus an unexpected surprise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I will wait until later to share the surprise! Sort of makes you read the entire review, right?

We were SO lucky to get in. As always, we had waited too late to get reservations ( three weeks ago) for Christmas Eve.

When my husband called, the nice lady told him they do not keep a wait list but we could always check when we were there to see if there had been a cancellation. There was, much to our delight.

So we were able to spend our Eighth Annual Christmas celebration at Longwood Gardens! (Last year, we did go to Longwood but were unable to eat at 1906 and therefore had to make do and went to Legal Seafood, which prompted my first-ever TripAdvisor review.) I have now, in 12 months, written 85 reviews and have a pretty nice journal with many of our adventures over the past year. It has made me do two things I had always said I wanted to do: keep a journal of our travels and write reviews on a site which we use, to "pay back" and share. It is so nice to go back and read these and relive our experiences, mostly good.

We were seated in what seemed to be an outside porch, but covered with a thick plastic -- and, actually, the only negative thing I can say about the entire evening -- is the location which got hothouse temperatures at times. (They did occasionally vent this so that you were not too uncomfortable.)

My daughter-in-law and I both opted for the tasting menu with wines; my son who is a picky eater got a pork chop and my husband got a soup and the trout special.

First, we all enjoyed the wonderful yeast bread they serve to each person in an individual ceramic pot. Every bite was eaten.

The first course of the tasting menu was a very nice beet radicchio salad. We both commented on the very light, yet savory, dressing. I wish I could make salads like this at home.

My son got nothing at this time but my husband relished his soup. The accompanying wine was a Savignon Blanc and it was superb. My husband had a Pinot Grigio which he enjoyed and my son seemed to delight in his Coca Cola throughout the meal!

Next we were served scallops (four each!) and we each gave tastes to our husbands who agreed they were really good. My son's comment was he liked the fact they were not rubbery!!! So did I!!! They were really good, served on a bed of something which I do not recall with a tiny sauce on the side which reminded me of Tabasco. That was served with another nice white wine. I believe a Pinot Grigio but do not recall.

Next we got our entrees. These were served with a Pinot Noir, which I do not care for. DIL loves red wines and she drank hers. At this point, I traded mine for my husband's Pinot Grigio. This made both of us happy.

The pork chops were served medium over a delightful cabbage/bacon/miscellaneous mix with a small serving of boiled potatoes on the side. None of us had anything left over, including my husband with his trout dish completely eaten.

Dessert was served with some type of sparkling wine and it was very nice. I do not care for dessert unless it is plain cheesecake and this was not. It was pumpkin cheesecake so my husband, again, helped me out, eating every bite. My son ate all of his vanilla ice cream. Everyone was full, happy and content. The service was superb and unobstrusive.

Oh, you are wondering about the unexpected surprise? It was not the beautiful Christmas tree in the room in front of which many people, including us, had their pictures made. It was not the pretty tree that was to our left with pretty Christmas lights. It was CarrotTop enjoying his holiday dinner at the very next table with perhaps relatives from the area. We did try not to stare (and succeeded) as we did not wish to cause them any discomfort and it is up in the air whether or not he knows we recognized him or not. But he sure knows that we allowed him to enjoy his conversation without interruption or requests for photos or autographs!

You never know who you may see at Longwood Gardens!

Oh, and on the way out, we made our reservations for next year, 6:00 p.m., Christmas Eve. See YOU there!

• Visited December 2012