“Charming” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: American, Italian, Seafood, Bistro
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Located in the heart of historic Kennett Square, Portabello's has something for everyone. Chef Owner, Brett Hulbert's menus offer tempting selections for lunch and dinner! Delicious burgers, soups and sandwiches along with signature dishes which include, Firecracker Shrimp, Mushroom Lasagna and Lamb Chop Schnitzel! Come visit us...we look forward to cooking for you!
“Charming”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Very personal, intimate place to eat. Staff and owners extremely friendly. They made you feel like you were friends they were having over for dinner.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Best Avalon clam chowder ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Ok, it was a hot day but I've been dying for soup....so I stopped over at Portabello's for a bowl of soup! I received the best clam chowder I've had in years! Now Im no newbie to clam chowder.....Ive had it on the West Coast, in Maine, and Jersey.....this by far trumps them all! I was literally licking my "to go" bowl and I only wished I had gotten one extra cup for later! I'm a huge fan of Portabello's "portabello" fries, the burgers(at lunch), the rustic egg noodles, and the chicken parm.... and the list goes on! Thank u guys for making my evening perfect!

Newton, Massachusetts
“When once is definitely not enough”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

The owner of the B&B (where we were staying) suggested Portabello's because the owner of Portabello's had been trying to reserve a room for her parents at the B&B (it took several tries to match date & availability). So, since we liked mushrooms, and the menu on the web looked very interesting, we agreed. Were we in for a surprise - it wasn't good; it was fantastic. Sitting up front & personal, practically in the open kitchen, we could survey the preparation of meals. The kitchen staff made it look easy (and when someone makes something look easy, it ain't).But it was Sandy (co-owner) with Bret (le grand chef) who made us most welcome, and guided us on our selections. And they were right on: mushroom soup, an usual salad, a tuna ta-ta that cut like butter, and THEE best eggplant parmesan in memory.

The next evening, we were researching restaurants in the area, and after an hour decided to go back to Portabellow's (why take a chance). We were not disappointed. Sandy & Bret were rather surprised (and delighted of course) with our decision. And again the meal (with every selection different from the previous night) was again fantastic. From tomatoes they had picked that day, to Norwegian salmon, and everything in between, again everything was outstanding.

“Did not disappoint”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Stopped in Kennett Square for Saturday lunch and found Portabello's very welcoming. They have a couple of tables outside and we sat there. The sidewalk was quiet and shady. The food was very good. We had unsweetened iced tea that was delicious. We were not charged for refills. I had portobello crepe with a brandy cream sauce that was really good. The sauce was light and great for a light lunch. If you are very hungry, I'd add a salad. My husband had a portabello cheesesteak which was sauteed sliced mushrooms and onions on a good roll with a little cheese. It came with pickles and good fries. Both dishes were very good. The only negative was a little grit in the mushrooms in my crepe. Good service from a pleasant waiter rounded out a good overall experience. I'd come here again. FYI, it is BYOB.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Springfield - Delaware County, Pennsylvania
“Really fabulous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Not usually a review writer, I felt compelled to post this one. Here's why: partnering up with friends who live in Roxborough, my wife and I have enjoyed some really fabulous meals over the years at BYOs in Manayunk, Chestnut Hill and of course downtown Philadelphia. Finding a "gem" closer to home in the western suburbs has proven a challenge. We've checked out many of the highly rated places only to be frustrated time and again. Many times our hopes would be raised in the beginning of the meal (good appetizer, nice waiter/waitress, etc.), only to end in disappointment with some aspect of the experience. I mean, we really wanted to like these places! Anyway, we'd just about given up hope of a quality meal from A to Z when we just happened to try Portobellos in Kennett Square. Let me assure you, every aspect, from the food (top notch, delicious), to the service (friendly, attentive) to the owners (yes, they really do take the time to stop by your table for a chat, very unpretentious, yet clear as can be that Chef Brett and his wife Sandra run the kitchen and front of the house with an eye to perfection). We're so impressed, we're headed back for the third time in as many weeks tomorrow night. Try it, I guarantee you'll love it. We're bringing our Roxborough friends soon.

• Visited July 2013