“Something different” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Jones Mills
Davidson, North Carolina
“Something different”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

No online booking so I called their number and they were very helpful. Stayed in two rooms in the lodge, a two story long building of about 10 rooms per floor. The rooms were fairly clean, bathrooms very clean, although both carpets smelled and needed either serious cleaning or replacement.
Basic cold breakfast provided each morning in a kitchen area off their gift shop / front desk / Living Treasures aminal zoo entrance. This attraction looks good if you have young kids. They also have discount tickets for a nearby mini-golf and go- cart amusement area which is a good deal.
Overall OK place to stay once for something different, I'd recommend booking into one of the cabins on the property instead of the lodge.

Room Tip: Book a cabin on property, not in lodge. The largest units are down the road near a highway, so only...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

Stayed here Aug. 6, 2012 with my daughter and two grand-daughters. Our room was a 'smoking' room, but walking into it, you would never have known. The room was exceptionally clean and spacious! Special touches include: vaulted ceilings, rustic decor, a large flat screen tv w/dvd player, alarm clock w/night light, large, clean! bathroom! microwave, fridge and! chairs on the deck. The staff was very friendly and efficient. As others have said, the breakfast was very simple.. truly, though, enough to get you thru til lunch time, so, no complaints there. Check-out was at 10 a.m... just wish it was a bit later, (possibly, til 11 a.m.) so that we had more time to enjoy the morning there after a late check-in. Kudos! to those who make this a realllllyyyy nice place to return to again and again! Already planning another visit with hubby in the fall.

Room Tip: if you're an 'in room' coffee kinda person, be sure to bring your own lil 4 cup coffee m...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
nj
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

My husband, my son, and I stayed at this place about a week ago. We enjoyed it's location and the rooms. We stayed in one of the family rooms and had a great time--loved the funky decor. However, the breakfast was pretty bad with only a few bagels, muffins (no eggs or bacon or anything hot), and pretty mediocre coffee. If you want the log cabin experience without having to rough it, this is the place for you though. The room was very spacious and clean and so was the bathroom. Tip: bring one of those fly catchers--the sticky tape ones. There were a lot of flies in the room. We told the front desk and they were nice about it and gave us a flyswatter. Another thing, if you're a light sleeper, keep in mind that, when it rains, it is very loud in the upstairs rooms since the roof seems to be made out of tin. So bring earplugs or stay in the rooms downstairs.

All in all, we had fun at this place and see ourselves staying here again. We will recommend it to anyone for the experience, the pretty amazing little zoo behind it, and the proximity to Idlewild park.

FYI--amazingly enough, in this little crossroads of a town, there is an excellent restaurant. It is called Out Of The Fire. It is a BYOB so grab a local bottle of wine before you go. We went there two nights in a row while staying at Log Cabin. Yes, the food is that good. We also loved the nice view of the highlands from its deck.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

We'd made reservations here taking advantage of the Idlewild package. (It's about a 20 minute drive to Idlewild.) As we drove up, we started getting a little worried, the sign on the place appears hand painted and a bit of a throw back. Our concerns grew as we checked into our room (the 'office' is a gift shop) and were told breakfast is in what appeared to be the staff break room.
We were pleasantly surprised when we got to our room and it was clean, spacious (the 2nd floor has the vaulted ceilings), the decor was pretty cool (horseshoe handles, hooks... even the toilet paper holder was a horseshoe), and there were no offending odors.
As an odd added bonus, we were travelling with our 15mo son who will only scream if you put him in a strange crib, so we were planning to co-sleep those nights, but it turned out even better. The beds are on solid frames with no openings under them, so we set up a little barricade between the beds and put him down to sleep there and he was quite happy.

The only drawback was my allergies. In the room it was fine, but going to breakfast or the gift shop, they would go nuts. This of course is because of the adjoining petting zoo. (We did go to the zoo and it was awesome, btw. Buy food, it's really fun. My daughter will always remember feeding the bears. I loved feeding the monkeys - you put the food in the bucket, they pull it to them and get the food, you pull it back and repeat!)

Room Tip: 2nd floor has vaulted ceilings
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Toledo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

My family and I (two adults and a two and four year old) stayed at the Log Cabin Lodge and Suites 5/26/12 and it was great! The girls were impressed with the decor, it was clean, and the breakfast was a little better than your basic continental breakfast. The room was large (we had the two full beds), cozy and the staff was very nice. There was also a nice deck area outside of our room where my husband and I hung out after the kids went to bed.
We stayed at the Lodge in order to visit Idlewild Park. It was close, about a 20 min drive away. The best part was Living Treasures Wild Animal Park next door. The girls saw camels, tigers, monkeys, peacocks and even pet a kangaroo. Their favorite part was riding a pony. You would think it would stink like a zoo, and you would hear crazy animal noises at night with it being so close to the lodge, but we had no problems.
I also thought the price was great. We purchased the Idlewild package with a one night room stay, two Idlewild tickets, two animal park tickets for $139 (you can also purchase extra Idlewild tickets for $24 and extra animal tickets for $4). Over all it was a great family experience!

Room Tip: The room with two full beds were great for us and our two toddlers. I was afraid of them falling out...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

I stayed in room 108 in mid May. Very cozy. And very, very clean!
The jacuzzi was adequate, but I wished the jets were stronger. It was a nice size, which I, as a person of size (as Southwest Airlines would say) was very comfortable using.
I was next to a smoking room, and could smell cigarette smoke (slightly) very early in the morning.
I have to agree with the other reviewer, Meowzee about the heat. It seemed that the heat was disabled. No matter what I did I could not regulate it and ended up with a horrible sinus headache due to being cold. Luckily there was an extra blanket in the room. At 3:00 in the morning I was in no mood to interact with someone who may have come to fix the heat, so I did not call to complain.
The room was very clean and fresh smelling.
The shower was a nice size, but I agree with the other poster, Hallie about not having a place to sit toiletries while in the shower.
Lighting in the main area (above the bed) could be improved.
Lastly, the person next to me was singing loudly in the shower. I kid you not, he seemed to be singing the song "Old Dan Tucker", which was more amusing than bothersome.
I was unable to use my laptop due to a poor WI Fi signal. I could not use my phone without going outside.
Aside from the items mentioned above, I enjoyed my stay and will return. :)

Room Tip: If traveling in mid May, check the heating system well before going to bed to ensure that it will be...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

My sister and I each booked a Jacuzzi suite in the main hotel/lodge.

One night stay.........Checked in on 06/12/2012 (Mothers Day Eve) Checked out 05/13/2012

I stayed in room 107 (smoking room) Room Did not smell like smoke.
My sister stayed in room 108 (non smoking room) Room did not smell like smoke.

THE GOODS:
The rooms were both VERY CLEAN

The Jacuzzi/Whirlpool Tubs both worked at an acceptable level. (could have been more powerfull)

The Jacuzzi was a larger than most at other hotels. (you could actually strech out...lay back and enjoy it!)

The Bathroom was decent size and very clean. The shower was nice sized and also very clean...The Tidy Bowl Man reports clean clear sailing!!

THE BADS:

Cell phone service is horrible...Between both of us (work and personal phones) we had AT&T.....SPRINT......AND VERIZON.....You pretty much have no choice to go outside to use phone. Unless you want to spend a long time outside, dont expect to do much picture sending.....updating....or tweeting....In this area smoke signals might work better! In all fairness the entire general area has bad reception you have to go down the road for a bit to get a "good signal". Meow Zee does not like to be cut off from his friends and family....

Wifi is horrible here. I tried both my Tablet and my Droid and both were not able to log on to Wifi at hotel. Meow Zee does not like to be cut off from friend and family......By the way, Blackberry users......don't hold your breath!

If you stay from May To September, don't expect to use the fireplace. It is shut off and you will not be able to use it.

My sister and I compared rooms the following morning over brunch. We were both unhappy with the HEAT/AC unit in our rooms. The heat in both our rooms did not work. We both suspect that it was disabled.....much like the fireplace. I can tell you that yes...even in May it can get cold late night.....At about 2 A.M. our rooms were cold enough to wish the heat worked!!! It was by no means freezing cold......but cold enough to make it uncomfortable......

All in all this place is pretty nice. I would consider coming back. If you want to get away this is a good place to do it.

This is my second visit to this motel. The first time was during the winter. It is nice to be there when its snowing out. Especially when you can enjoy that nice big Whirlpool tub and the Fire Place! (in season of course!)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Log Cabin Lodge and Suites? Share your experiences!