“Would have liked to have been closer to the highway” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Johnstown
Oakville
“Would have liked to have been closer to the highway”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2011

We booked this hotel from Hotwire for one night. It was in downtown Johnstown. Nice enough hotel: friendly front desk staff, room was clean which is really all we wanted but we would have preferred being closer to the highway. We were there on a Saturday night and thought we would walk to a restaurant nearby but every restaurant was either closed or closed down. We didn't want takeout. The hotel had a restaurant but it was a bit expensive for what we wanted and we ended up driving to a Mexican restaurant up the road which we enjoyed. The hotel had a pool that looked nice enough but we didn't swim. They also had an exercise room. They charge $3 for parking but that is understandable since it is a downtown hotel. I would stay here again if the opportunity ever arose. The price was right.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
cmalloy250, Manager at Holiday Inn Johnstown Downtown, responded to this review, December 22, 2011
Thanks so much for sharing your experience on the Holiday Inn Downtown Johnstown! I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our hotel is located in the heart of the business district of Johnstown. We are located just off of route 56 and within a few minutes of routes 22 and 219. I am so glad that you were able to leave the hotel easily and get around the city to some of our local attractions and restaurants! I hope that next time you stay with us, you will consider our restaurant on property, Harrigan's Cafe & Wine Deck. Harrigan's has the best wine list and food around!! Hope to see you soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
albion
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

Upon checking in, I requested a smoking room but was told they were a non-smoking facility, but they offered smoking rooms where I booked the room so I assumed they were available. As a smoker, I like to know if I am staying in a non-smoking hotel so I can pack accordingly for my middle of the night smokes.
The hotel was located close to attractions but no one at the hotel seemed to know anything about any of them or could really suggest what there was to do with children in the area... when I asked locals while walking what people do in the area I was told go to the bars. I was not impressed.
They offered children eat free in their in house restaurant, but the adult meals definitely covered the cost of the kids "free" meals.
Windows do not open and no fan in the bathroom so ventilation was not an option.
On the plus side, the hotel was clean; there was a fridge and microwave in the room.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Hello!
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us on your recent stay. We are a 100% smoke-free property and i am terribly sorry for the inconvenience that you experienced with needing a smoking room. I know that on our Holiday Inn Brand website, it does say that we are a non-smoking facility. Could you tell me where you booked your room so that I can clarify with that company and to hopefully avoid confusion with future guests? I really appreciate your help! Thanks again!

Travelers are raving about these Johnstown hotels

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011 via mobile

first time @ holiday inn downtown johnstown and feel welcome here. Great hotel, bar, and restaurant staff. Only qualm I have is they don't have black out drapes in my room. couldn't sleep last night.

• Stayed September 2011
cmalloy250, Manager at Holiday Inn Johnstown Downtown, responded to this review, September 19, 2011
I am so glad to hear that you have enjoyed your first night with us here at the Holiday Inn Downtown Johnstown! I apologize for your troubles in sleeping, but assure you that all of our rooms are equipped with black out curtains to ensure a good night sleep. If this sort of thing ever happens again, or if you need anything in your room, please feel free to call the front desk. Our Guest Service Representatives are trained and equipped to handle most requests and are eager to help. I hope that your upcoming stays at the Holiday Inn Downtown Johnstown will be pleasant ones and vow that we will do our best to ensure that they are. Looking forward to seeing you during your next visit!
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Three years ago, I was in Johnstown for a family function and wrote a factual review that was largely negative. This year we attended another family event, and we decided to give the renovated Holiday Inn a second chance. I am happy to report that they have made significant progress on the updates. The rooms have a cleaner more modern look, and the bathrooms have refurbished. For the most part, the public areas of the hotel are updated too. The elevators need to be modernized as they look like they have the old 1980s color scheme.

The restaurant also needs an update. We had both dinner and breakfast. The food was acceptable. The decor needs an update, and the place needs a through cleaning.

The best part was that the pool and hot tub have been completely updated. This is the best part of the renovation.

While there is still work to do, the hotel has made significant strides to improve.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for providing an update on our renovations for our potential guests! It pleases me to know that the time and effort that we have invested in the renovation has had a positive impact on our guests. After all, this renovation is for you and for all of our guests. You deserve an updated, comfortable and inviting home away from home. The Holiday Inn Downtown Johnstown strives each day to make our facility all of those things for each of our guests. I look forward to your thoughts on the outside of the building after the external changes have been made. I think you will be delighted! We are looking forward to your next visit with us! Hope to see you soon!
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

I think when you're reading a review of a hotel, you can kind of tell by reading it when people are being ridiculous and when there are real problems with the hotel. Oftentimes, people are being nitpicky or unreasonable, and you can write their reviews off. I am not one of those people, I tend to give the benefit of the doubt, but this was one of the worst hotels I've ever stayed in.

Honestly, every thing that could go wrong with a hotel did, but I'll stick with the lowlights. On one afternoon, I was in my room, when there was a knock at the door. As I was getting up to answer it, two men entered my room! I grabbed the door and held it. They saw I was there and apologized- but why did they have my room key!?!?! They said they were sent up there to look for a television. So the hotel sent strangers up to my room while I could have been there to look around my room for a television!?!?! What if I hadn't been there?

Secondly, there is ongoing construction, I understand that. But the construction company parked right at the end of the overhang between the parking lot and the entrance. So, when its raining, you have to walk out around the car and then to the entrance. That's a smaller thing, but an annoying one. What's not small is that they use a K saw right in the entrance of the hotel. I walked in through the normal entrance with a group of other people, and upon getting in the elevator, we all realized that whatever they were cutting had through small specs of grey all over us, down the same side for every single one of us. This took a solid 15 minutes of scrubbing to get out.

The business center is in the worst position it could possibly be. Yes, the internet is free, that's about the only positive thing I can think of, but it's directly opposite the front desk in the lobby. There is only about a 4 1/2 to 5 foot wall around it, so it's incredibly noisy. How can anyone get any work done when you put the business center in the loudest, busiest part of the entire hotel?

Also, I understand sometimes the maid wants to leave a note reminding you of some holiday or special occasion, but a hand-written note on your pillow is not the way to do it- it's creepy. Especially when someone has already tried to get into your room while you're there.

I asked the front desk three different questions and each answer was less helpful then the first. I think the highlight was when I asked about breakfast options in the area. I was directed to the hotel restaurant. I walked in, and not only was nobody eating there or working there, but dinner service was still set up. It was obvious the restaurant wasn't open, and nobody had even been into work yet.

I would highly advise against staying at this hotel. Look at my other reviews if you want to see if I'm impartial. This hotel was truly spectacularly awful in every single aspect. Do yourself a favor- stay somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Thank you so much for sharing your views on the Holiday Inn Downtown Johnstown. It is true; the Holiday Inn Downtown is the only full-service hotel in Johnstown and we are so proud! Harrigan’s Café & Wine Deck is an award-winning restaurant / lounge, winning countless “Best of Johnstown” awards. We are right in the heart of the business district of Johnstown and are conveniently within walking distance to attractions like the Incline Plane, the War Memorial, The Flood Museum, and The Johnstown Discovery Network. Since our renovation has been completed on the inside of the hotel, the external façade is next in line. So next time you are in Johnstown, keep your eyes open for a delightful surprise – a brand new Holiday Inn Downtown Johnstown. It is just another way we are helping to make the Holiday Inn Downtown Johnstown “A Great Hotel, Our Guests Love.” Looking forward to your next visit!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

Sadly, downtown Johnstown is as dead as a doornail. It is safe enough, but there is nothing going on there. Yet, the Holiday Inn (a Sheraton in my youth) persists. It is undergoing substantial renovations, but at present it seems as if there have been no meaningful renovations to the common areas since the 1980s (sort of like the rest of the town). Do not be discouraged, however. Dated though it may be, the rooms are perfectly adequate. The beds, bedding and linen are solid 3-star level. There's a fridge and a microwave in each room. Water pressure is good and hot water is plentiful. There is a parking garage on premises (they charged me $3 for my overnight stay).

There is a restaurant on premises, which is a good thing because there are no other dining options close by, save for Coney Island Hot Dogs and McDonalds, each about a 4-5 block walk. The exercise faclities and pool were closed for renovation, so I cannot comment on them. The front desk staff were very welcoming.

Bottom line, if you want to stay downtown, this is where you will be staying. Otherwise, there are a number of motel-style lodging options 15 minutes away in RIchland near Route 219 and the University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown campus. If you are touring, you might save substantially by staying in RIchland (where there are also many more dining options). But if you are there on business, and proximity to downtown is important, this is your only hotel choice.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

We were visiting in Johnstown, PA and there are limited hotels with pools. We choose this hotel because it had an indoor pool. The facility was very nice and the restaurant staff was the greatest.

This hotel was located in a great location for walking to many of the downtown attractions. The fitness room, whirlpool and sauna were very nice at this hotel and it helped after a long day of visiting family and local attractions.

Overall, I will definitely stay here again and would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the Johnstown, PA area.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
cmalloy250, Manager at Holiday Inn Johnstown Downtown, responded to this review, August 15, 2011
Thank you so much for your post. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Holiday Inn Downtown Johnstown! We are one of the only hotels in Johnstown with a pool and I am happy that you were able to enjoy our pool area while you were here. We are actually almost finished with a complete overhaul of the pool, whirl pool and sauna area and it looks fantastic! I hope that you will return again very soon and enjoy our newly renovated facility!

Been to Holiday Inn Johnstown Downtown? Share your experiences!