“Go to Denny's” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #83 of 151 Restaurants in Johnstown
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Description: Hoss’s Steak and Sea House is a family restaurant featuring fresh-cut steaks, seafood, and tender chicken entree. All cooked to order! Enjoy our fresh and wholesome Soup & Salad Bar with homemade soups, just-baked breads, fresh fruits, delicious desserts, and soft-serve ice cream. We feature a fun menu for kids and offer family-style banquets in our comfortable banquet rooms.
Lincoln, California
“Go to Denny's”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Overpriced. Inedible. Rotten service. Couldn't find any employee with a personality or enthusiasm. Rice pilaf was disgusting. Scallops immersed in butter. I can't say anything nice at all. $34 for a horrible meal for 2.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Missy H, Social Media Director at Hoss's Steak & Sea House, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
We are sorry that your dining experience at our Johnstown location was not positive. Your comments will be shared with the management and crew to ensure these issues are resolved. Once again we apologize and hope you will give Hoss's another chance in the future.

Independence, Missouri
“Never Again”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We were in the area to see the Flight 93 Memorial and the Johnstown Flood Museum. We had no idea where to eat and ended up at Hoss's because our first choice looked like a dive and we didn't even get out of our car there. Hoss's looked nice on the outside but we were in for a very big and unpleasant surprise on the inside. This is basically upscale fast food. You order at the register, from a menu printed on the wall. There is no alcohol and my husband always wants a cocktail and then a glass of wine with dinner so this was a major disappointment. They have a salad bar and a dessert bar where you help yourself and a waitress brings your main course to the table. The food was mediocre. We were really wanting a nice, quiet dinner and Hoss's is not the place to go for that. There were a lot of elderly people and families and that is probably Hoss's niche.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Missy H, Social Media Director at Hoss's Steak & Sea House, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our Johnstown location. We are sorry that our establishment was not what you were expecting. We are a family style restaurant and do not serve alcohol. Your feedback is appreciated.
Holly Springs, North Carolina
“Good salad, soup,and dessert bar.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

I have never eaten at a Hoss' so I was in for an experience. Like other reviewers said, the ambiance is a mix of fast food and sit down. I thought Sizzler and Western Steer were out of business but nope...Hoss' has taking their experience.

The salad bar was good and looked fresh. The offerings were basic however. There weren't any proteins (chicken?) except egg yolks. Good pasta offerings and veggies. The salad dressing was not labeled so a person did not know which was which.

The soup offerings were good but the highlight was the dessert bar. I resolved to eat very little but it was very hard.

All in all the business model is bizarre for this restaurant. I guess they sell a ton of salads but the service is much different than even Denny's.

I will go back for the salad and maybe a dessert!

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Missy H, Social Media Director at Hoss's Steak & Sea House, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our Johnstown location. We stive to provide great food and service at a reasonable price to all our guests and our salad bar is the centerpiece of this. Your feedback and patronage is appreciated and we hope to serve you again in the future.
Lancaster, New York
“Early Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

As always service with a smile, and I would recommend coconut shrimp, and salad bar. Great value, service and food

Visited May 2013
Missy H, Social Media Director at Hoss's Steak & Sea House, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Thank your for taking the time to write a review for our Johnstown location. We appreciate your positive feedback and will be sure to share it with our crew.
Indian Trail, NC
“Not bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I have been going here since the 80s with my parents. I no longer live in Johnstown but when I come home for the holidays I like to stop here. The salad bar is fairly large which is usually what I get, they have a large verity of items on the bar, I enjoy the garlic bread. There is also a good selection of desserts. The meals are average however I remembered the place having better food it seems to me the quality has gone down hill some. But all in all the price is fair.

• Visited December 2012