“A great addition to your B&B experiences.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Heritage House Inn Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Johnstown
Heritage House Inn Bed and Breakfast
916 Broad Street, Johnstown, PA 15906   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Johnstown B&B and Inns
Celebration, Florida
“A great addition to your B&B experiences.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012 via mobile

This is NOT for those looking for a fancy B&B with 4 poster beds and a parlor full of dustables. But . .do book a room here if you'd like an afternoon high tea meet and great with cold beer or an exceptional breakfast with home baked cassaroles. Staying at the Heritage House Inn fulfills the reason you stay at a B&B rather than a chain motel.

• Stayed July 2012

14 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Greecastle, IN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

We held our 2012 American Mantrailing, Police & Work Dog Association Pennsylvania State Workshop in New Stanton, PA. We stayed at the Heritage House Inn Bed & Breakfast. When we planned our trip we discussed just getting a room in New Stanton because of the hour drive each day to the training site. But the Bed & Breakfast had already been mentioned to us. So we drove to Johnstown and what a wonderful experience it was. Dennis and Ginny Fitzpatrick greeted us and made us feel like a part of their family. I stayed in the Iron Horse Room and was very well pleased. Everything was clean and beautifully decorated. The Inn was peaceful and had Hi Speed Internet which allowed me to keep up with my work. The breakfast was great each morning i woke to the smell of breakfast on the table. The next day on the training site several participants complained about the motel in New Stanton that they stayed in.. This made me very glad we chose to stay at the Heritage House Inn Bed & Breakfast... I have stayed in more motels than I want to count over my 23 years of traveling across the country and I will tell you that this is the first time I was ever treated like family... I appreciate everything the Fitzpatrick's done to make our stay absolutely wonderful. Then I find out they have a Bed & breakfast in Titusville Florida called the Casa Coquina Bed & Breakfast. I cant wait until we travel south and I assure you we will book a room with them...... Tony M. Keith - President AMPWDA

Room Tip: Iron Horse Room was amazing
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Coatesville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

I am a native of Johnstown, but one who had never had the opportunity to visit the Johnstown Flood Museum, the National Flood Memorial near South Fork, nor the Heritage Museum in Cambria City. My grown daughter and I made this weekend visit (June 1-3) only one day after the 123rd anniversary of the Johnstown Flood. In addition to the three museums, we were also able to attend the Annual Polkafest, which was within walking distance of the Inn, and to ride the Johnstown Inclined Plane, which was celebrating its 121st anniversary on June 2nd. We were impressed with the museums and would have liked to have had at least one more day to explore, but we really maximized the little time we had by having our home base at the Heritage House. Its central location made getting around quite easy and parking was a breeze. Just as important was the charming atmosphere of HH and the friendly hospitality of the innkeepers, Ginny and Dennis, and their friend, Mary Ann, who acted as their stand-in hostess for most of the weekend and is an absolute treasure. She was waiting for our arrival and let us know from the moment we arrived that she was pleased to be of service to us. May Ann provided us with a quick tour complete with bits of history, pleasant conversation, and delicious food, including hors d'oeuvres in the late afternoons and hearty gourmet breakfasts in the mornings, ready when we were. We quickly felt as is she has been a long-time friend.

We stayed in the Chesapeake, an enormous room with a king-sized bed and a lovely day bed in the alcove (not currently shown in the two photos on this site). The room is charming and quite comfortable. We booked it to include a private bath. We felt right at home, and although we did not use the sitting room or game room, we might have done so if we had had more time. There is a grill for guests to use in the fenced-in yard with outdoor seating available. We enjoyed walking a bit in the neighborhood and felt safe, even at night. We have stayed at numerous hotels/motels, but had never experienced a Bed and Breakfast until last weekend. It was a special place to stay for a special weekend return to my roots after four decades. Our experience at Heritage House was an excellent one. We would stay here again if we return in the future. Thank you, Fitzpatricks and Mary Ann. We had a great stay! Lin and Erin

Room Tip: The Garden Room is available on the first floor if climbing stairs is an issue.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

Staying at the Heritage House Inn Bed and Breakfast was an absolutely wonderful experience.
I contacted the owner, Ginny Fitzpatrick, with several questions via email. I had a response in no time.

Upon our late arrival, we were greeted by Mary Ann, who was holding down the fort while Ginny had things to tend to out of town. She showed us our room, told us about breakfast, and let us to get settled in. The pullout bed was all set up for our son, so it was no problem getting him to bed. The Iron Horse Room was very nice and clean. The bathroom was also very clean and basic toiletries were provided if needed.

One of the nice things about the house (an old rectory) is how it feels “homey” without feeling like you are an overnight guest in a stranger’s home. You have your own bathroom and the rooms are divided up so it feels a little bit like a hotel. Downstairs there is a living room and a game room for kids/adults to go so as not to have the “cooped up in a room” feeling. There is a big screen TV, couches, a card table, and several games in the game room; the sitting room is quiet and nicely furnished. (A nice place for an adult or avid reader to escape to.)

The gourmet breakfast was delicious! Mary Ann noticed that my son enjoyed the fresh fruit on Friday morning, and made sure there was plenty available on Saturday morning. (Also, they keep delicious cookies out all day long for guests.)

As far as the location, the Heritage House Inn is a PERFECT jump-off spot for getting around Johnstown. It’s close to the Heritage Museum and the children’s museum that has lots of hands-on things for kids to do. It’s also an easy on/easy off from the highway leading to the South Fork Dam, close to the Johnstown Flood Museum, the Incline, and the various other things to do in Johnstown.

We could not have been happier and will definitely stay here again next time we go to Johnstown. Mary Ann was a wonderful hostess, and Ginny was extraordinarily accommodating. We were sorry we didn’t get to meet Ginny, but were very happy to meet Mary Ann. She’s a nice, friendly, funny lady who is very helpful and a Johnstown native.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Hughesville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

So i stayed for my first time in Jan. of this year and was so impressed i returned this previous weekend. Im confused on what Joseph is refering too in his review. i stayed this previous time in the Lodge room which faces the back street. i abosolutly loved it. think they were looking for more of a holiday inn. this place gives you more of the being at home feeling rather than a hotel.

anyways, room was very clean, bathroom was clean. and breakfast was beyond excellent. i had another excellent stay here.

Great that there is a Sheetz station next block down and is blocked by another building. so you cant even see it from here but is easily within walking distance if you need a snack in the middle of the night.

Room Tip: so far i have stayed in the Mill room i believe it was called and the Lodge room. recommend both of...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Ginny F, Owner at Heritage House Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, February 28, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our Inn. We really enjoyed having your group again. I know you have been enjoying the ski season here, and we hope to see you back throughout the year.
Dennis, Ginny and David Fitzpatrick, Innkeepers
Johnstown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

I stayed at the Heritage House over the Christmas holidays. Traveling at that time of year is dodgy at best, but this stay was by far the best I've experienced. The Inn was busy and mostly full of families traveling together, but the spacious rooms and public areas kept it from ever feeling cramped.

The rooms are done in a variety of styles, and arriving before most other guests, I was given a personal tour by the innkeepers. I stayed in the Chesapeake Suite, a large, clean and airy accommodation which is done in nautical flavor. After seeing the other rooms, however, I was sorry that I could not stay in a different one each night. The Irish Room features a full wall mural of the Irish country-side and is probably the most private of their rooms. Tucked down it's own hallway, I can easily see that being my next choice when I stay there. Other rooms have themes that reflect the culture and history of the area including one which is themed in tasteful appointments and historical photographs that depict Johnstown's once booming steel mills and coal mines, while another calls to life the trains that shaped the towns and people of the area.

Downstairs, the owners have created a comfortable parlor area in which to meet other guests, and simply enjoy some down time.

Probably the highlight however, was the breakfasts and snacks that the innkeepers prepare on site. I have traveled extensively, and while most bed and breakfast proprietors understand that the breakfast is an important part of the stay, this location outshines them. I stayed for 4 days, visiting family, and I never saw the same thing on the menu twice. From quiches to stuffed pancakes, to caramelized french toast, this inn had it all. The innkeepers were quite accommodating as well, I noticed that Ginny, the innkeeper, tailored some of the breakfast choices directly to one of the young children who was also staying there at the time, without complaint or neglecting others.

The building itself, is a former rectory, that the owners have transformed. I like history, and I found it charming and delightful that the innkeepers had only changed things in the building that would make their guests' stays more comfortable (new ac/refinished tile floors/fresh curtains/high thread count sheets) without damaging the historical integrity of one of Johnstown's archetectural highlights.

The location of the inn is excellent, I quite enjoyed walking along the river during my stay, and it is directly down the street from Cambria City's new arts district, which was open during my time there for gallery walks, jazz shows, and a variety of shopping opportunities.

I would definitely stay again, being that I stayed during the winter, I did not get to take advantage of the outdoor offerings that Johnstown has, such as hiking trails and their white-water park. I would definitely like to come back this summer and do so.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Ginny F, Owner at Heritage House Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, March 11, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our Inn. We very much enjoyed your stay!
Decorating the Inn and planning unique menus has been a lot of fun and knowing that our guests appreciate it adds to the enjoyment. We look forward to having you back often in the future!
Ginny, Dennis and David Fitzpatrick, Inkeepers
Dubois, Pa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

We were not impressed at all. They had recently opened but...... We checked in and were shown our room. Not nice at all.. Old curtains with old A/C unit in window that overlooked back alley. Bathroom was old and dark. Location was next to an old boarded up church. Carpeting in room was old. We went to get something for dinner and did not return. Found somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Ginny F, Owner at Heritage House Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, February 25, 2012
From the very first day we opened, our primary focus has always been guest satisfaction and comfort. If any guest ever comes to us with a problem or complaint, we would address it and try to resolve it immediately. It is distressing that you would post a review that is completely contrary to fact, particularly since you never actually spent the night at our inn and by your own admission, were actually only on the premises for about15 minutes. I would like to respond to the best of my ability.

You booked your room in June, not July of 2011, during Johnstown's annual Thunder in the Valley motorcycle event. You were unhappy that I would not book a one night stay, but, as I explained in advance, our published policy of 2 night minimum applies during special events.
When you arrived, your wife expressed great distress that there would be "motorcycle people" around. She asked me "How bad will it get when the motorcycle people arrive?" I explained that they were already there and that we had a wonderful group of guests for this once a year family friendly event and that there was nothing to be alarmed about. I showed you the room and you both said that it was very pretty and completely satisfactory. You asked for dining recommendations, which I gave to you. We did not see you return from dinner, but that is not unusual as our guests come and go on their own time schedule. You did not come down for breakfast, and we held hot items for you about half an hour past the normal breakfast time, in case you were sleeping in. Around noon,we received a message on our phone recorder from your wife stating that she just did not feel comfortable staying in the town with all the motorcycles and that you had gone home. She said that the Inn was very nice, but that you and she were just not Bed and Breakfast people and did not feel comfortable sitting down to breakfast, etc. with the "motorcycle people". She said she did not expect a refund as the room had been prepared and held for you and that you would mail us back the keys, which you did about a week later.

I am confused about your description of the room. You were booked into our Irish Room which is in fact at the rear of the Inn. The curtains and air conditioning unit were brand new at the time that you checked in. The bathroom is certainly not new, but then the entire building is 122 years old, and we take great care to make sure that everything is spotlessly clean and attractive to our guests. The Inn is in a city location, so the views are not countryside, but the actual view from the Irish Room, overlooks our garden area, with a beautiful tree and a guest area with tables, grill and other amenities, enclosed by fencing and a historic old stone wall.
The "alley" you refer to is Brailllier Place, a named side street which does run behind the Inn. Behind that is a large grassy area, with a view of the mountain behind, which is quite refreshing in a city atmosphere.

Part of the historical charm of our 1890 building, comes from it's former identity as the rectory to the original Irish St. Columba Church, one of the famous ethnic Churches of Cambria City in Johnstown. The church still stands next to the Bed and Breakfast. It is no longer functioning as a church, but is soon to be repurposed as a historical Theater. At no time has it ever been abandoned or boarded up. Our guests have often remarked on the beauty of the stained glass windows next door to us.

Pictures of our rooms, including the Irish Room, where you stayed are available on our website.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Johnstown
Free Parking, P...
Hampton Inn Indiana
Hampton Inn Indiana
#1 of 7 in Indiana
4.5 of 5 stars 159 reviews

Been to Heritage House Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!