“Destination smoke” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Super 8 Johnstown

You added Super 8 Johnstown to your Saves list
Super 8 Johnstown
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   627 Solomon Run Rd, Highway 219 and Solomon Run Rd, Johnstown, PA 15904   |
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Johnstown
Gelderland
“Destination smoke”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

This is an old Super 8 motel. Very small rooms and a bad smell of smoke everywhere. I had a non smoking room but I woke up with a sore throat because of the sigarette smoke. Dirty stains in the carpet, really old worn furniture. Totally not worth $80. No more Super 8 for me.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Newburgh, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

If you want to save 40%-50% over the downtown hotels - and get a clean, comfortable and easy-to-find, easy in-and-out bed (and breakfast), then stop at the Solomon Run Road Super 8 in Johnstown. The staff are friendly and hospitable, and they saved me a 1st floor room upon request that was very convenient to get to. Having 70+ channels on the wide-screen HD TV in the room was a plus! And the waffles, English muffins and juices among the breakfast choices were excellent, making this a truly "super" motel choice.

Room Tip: My 1st floor room just around the corner from the lobby was actually very quiet - and convenient to...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Pittsburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

Overall, I was very pleased with this hotel. It was very conveniently located to major highways and a short distance away from the Galleria Mall. The staff was very pleasant and helpful. It was fairly quiet except for the occasional door slamming and talking in the hallways, as well as occasional traffic noise (which was surprising since the hotel is located near a major intersection). I did not hear any noise at all after 10 PM. The room itself was a bit small, but I was there on business and really spent very little time in the room so it did not make a difference to me. The room and bathroom were very clean, as were the linens. The bathtub did make creaking noises when I showered, and I hope that it did not disturb the other guests! The microwave in my room was not working, but there was a microwave in the lobby that was available. Free high speed internet was as advertised...high speed! The free breakfast was simple but offered a surprising number of choices. Coffee was also available 24 hrs. in the lobby. Overall I found it to be a good value for the price.

Room Tip: Rooms on the third floor have less noise.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Wallingford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

Very nice property. Clean rooms. Modest breakfast. Well lit parking lot. Restaurants nearby.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2011

This was our second time staying at this hotel while visiting family. I first want to say that this is a Super 8. If you're expecting a lot of glitz and glamour, you're not going to find it here. However, for a budget hotel, it's a very clean, safe and well located facility. We had a AAA discount and ended up paying something like $87 with tax. Don't ask me why, but the J-town hotel prices are rediculious! Most of the other area hotels charge over $100 so this is about as reasonable of a place as you're going to find.

Like our previous visit, we found the staff to be very friendly and helpful The free breakfast, though not too exciting, was enough to get one started in the morning. They offered the usual cereal, bagels, toast, waffles (frozen), doughnuts and instant oatmeal - plus your juices and coffee. I don't recall seeing one piece of fruit anywhere. Also, they only have four tables to use for breakfast so it can get crowded. Be prepared to take your food back to your room if you can't find a table.

They have one free computer to use in the lobby.

The rooms are a tad on the smaller size than your average mid-priced hotel, but I suppose they're about normal for budget hotels. One thing that we found completely unacceptable (and it's enough to prevent us from coming back again) was the number of NON-SMOKING rooms that smelled like smoke! We were traveling with three other families and all of their non-smoking rooms smelled like smoke. So did ours until we insisted on being moved to another room. They had one more non-smoking rooms available and we were lucky that it actually didn't smell. Other hotels charge the customer a hefty fine for smoking in a non-smoking room, but obviously this isn't the case here. They also didn't make any attempt to get rid of the smoke smell either. The fact that so many other rooms smelled like smoke is proof that it's a non-issue to them. Thus, if you have allergies to smoke, I would suggest staying elsewhere. I don't recall having this problem during our first stay. On the plus side: Though we were forced to take a room on the first floor, we never heard a peep from anyone.

The hotel is close to a Wal-Mart, resturants and a Home Depot.

Room Tip: Even the non-smoking rooms smell like smoke! Bring a can of airfreshener with you.
Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

I did not stay here, my reservation was at Holiday Inn at Market Street. My other friend stayed here. I should of stay here than a claimed to be fancy hotel that ask extra fee for everything.
Like I said i did not stay here. So I did not see the room. but my friend has no complaint at this place during his stay. Big king size bed, nice shower. He took the advice from another friend who is from Johnstown, and which is way better.
My stay was at Holiday Inn, breakfast is not included, parking is $3/day whil staying there, bed is small.
When I came to pick up my friend, I waited in the lobby. the front desk lady was cleaning their breakfast table, and gave me a smile that acknowledge my presence. Dinning area is nice and clean. there is a desktop computer too, (not sure if it is extra fee)
I asked if I can use their bathroom, she didn't mind me using their employee only bathroom.
Oh and as we drove back home, my friend realized that he left his phone charger at the hotel. The hotel lady offered to mail it back to him.
Nice service, nice staff, nice room. What else can you ask for?

Room Tip: for budget traveler, check what amentities are included.. such as breakfast, parking, what's nea...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Woodleaf, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

Rooms were worn looking but everything was very clean. You could probably read a newspaper through the towels. The front desk staff was very pleasant . We were in a nonsmoking room but the hallway outside our room reeked of smoke. Not sure we'll stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Super 8 Johnstown? Share your experiences!