“Great weekend!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 19 Jim Thorpe B&B and Inns
Ronkonkoma, New York
“Great weekend!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

Went with my husband for our anniversary and we had a blast! The staff is amazing! Beautiful rooms and quiet atmosphere. The murder mystery weekend keeps you guessing the whole time I was the murderer and didn't even realize it till the end. Totally awesome time and the food was great. We will definitely be going back.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Lake Mary, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

We signed up for the murder mystery weekend and and had a great time. The murder mystery was entertaining and it was a great way to meet other guests. We also learned a lot of the history of the house and the area. The rooms are comfortable and period appropriate and the food was delicious for both breakfast and the evening meal on Saturday. We enjoyed the Inn bar and the wide variety of drinks and wines that were available. We had high expectations for the weekend because of the reviews and we were not disappointed. The Inn overlooks the town of Jim Thorpe which is just steps away. Many, many steep steps. We walked up and down more steps than I have in a very long time. We were also on the third floor in the mansion and the ceilings are quite high so that was a lot of steps as well. The weather was rainy and cold while we were there so we didn't do much exploring. I wouldn't mind going back to explore but wouldn't recommend it to someone who has issues with walking, particularly stairs. We had been looking for a murder mystery at a Bed and Breakfast for a long time and felt that it not only was a great value, but everything we had expected.

Room Tip: If you don't like going up as many stairs, get a room in the carriage house.
Easton, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

I had no idea where we were going for my birthday weekend and I don't think it is possible for my husband to have planned anything better than the Murder Mystery Weekend at Harry Packer Mansion. We drove into Jim Thorpe around 8:30pm and my breath was immediately taken from me when I saw the Asa Packer Mansion all lit up along the hillside. When we arrived at the H.P. mansion, I immediately fell in love with how the area was illuminated with small lights which gave it a very romantic feel. Little did I know the greatness that was waiting in side for me.
We were greeted by Taylor (one of the inn keepers). He was so warm and welcoming. He gave us the run down and showed us our room. It was then that he said the words "Murder Mystery begins at 9:00pm"... and I completely GEEKED OUT!
I am not kidding when I say this, there is not a single thing that I did not like about this weekend. Our room was great, the food was fantastic and the adult beverages were amazing. I can not wait to go again for a different mystery! A definite must for anyone who loves history, comedy and a great murder (well, no one loves murder...but the mystery of it sure is made fun here). Kudos to the Harry Packer Mansion. Thank you for helping to make my birthday weekend so awesome!

Chesapeake, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

We had a wonderful weekend at the mansion with other guests on Saturday night and Sunday night we had the mansion to ourselves! The restoration on the Inn is incredible! The innkeepers were terrific and informative. They helped us print out a covered bridge tour near the area. Breakfast was awesome! All the rooms we saw were beautiful! Jim Thorpe is a quaint little town. You will love it here! Next time we will try the Murder Mystery weekend.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

We arrived at the mansion without expectations. The adventure began as soon as we arrived. The mansion is a magnificent example of an authentic 2 1/2-story, three bay wide, red brick dwelling in the Italianate style. The ambiance of the mansion sets the perfect backdrop for a murder mystery. I enjoyed the authenticity of the house as well as the furnishings.
Our room, Annie's Room, was both elegant and comfortable. The proprietors, Bob and Pat go out of their way to make the experience memorable. There is a bar available for cocktails in the evening as well as a delicious home cooked breakfast in the mornings. Saturday night of the murder mystery the entire group dines together for a formal dinner offering the opportunity to chat about the characters in the murder. An added bonus is the town of Jim Thorpe with lots of local history and small boutique shops.

philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

If you are looking for a fun and an extraordinary experience, Harry Packer certainly fits the bill. I surprised my hubby with a Murder Mystery weekend and what fun we had! We enjoy B&B's a lot and this one absolutely had the historic charm and quaint town to walk around in as well. What really set it apart is the family that owns and manages the property. You do feel more like you are visiting elegant friends from a bygone era rather than a retail establishment and the exciting events that unfold through the weekend quite take you away into a different world.

Murder mystery is not to be trifled with and Bob, the "Talent" is indeed very talented. Two thumbs up all around. The only miss is on my part of planning too last minute and not being able to get a room in the main house -- we ended up at the carriage house which is perfectly fine but would have preferred to be in the main mansion.

Room Tip: Main house for sure!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
NE PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

We were always curious about how a murder mystery weekend would be, so after researching several options within a 2-3 hour drive from our home, we decided on the Harry Packer Mansion. We went without too many expectations as far as the actual murder mystery was concerned, but we did hope for a comfortable room, good food, friendly hosts, and an entertaining time. We were not disappointed in any of those areas for right from the time we arrived, we felt welcomed and primed for a weekend of mystery, fun, and camaraderie! I won't divulge any details about the mystery because half of the fun was not knowing what to expect, but I will sum the weekend up by saying that we relaxed, slept in total comfort, ate well, and made new friends, while being entertained and mentally stimulated by a somewhat embellished history lesson presented by the Inn's owner, Bob! It was fun learning about the elite and rather crazy life of the Packer family and others with whom they were entwined! I would highly recommend this weekend at the mansion if you are looking for a different kind of get-away! Another plus is its location, an easy walk to downtown Jim Thorpe, PA, a unique, quaint, and friendly town.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Harry Packer Mansion Inn? Share your experiences!