“So worth it!” 5 of 5 stars

19 Packer Ave., PO Box 458, Jim Thorpe, PA 18229   |
Ranked #2 of 19 Jim Thorpe B&B and Inns
“So worth it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

I came here for the murder mystery weekend and have nothing but great things to say. Service was excellent, food was fantastic, and the people running the mansion do a superior job tending to the guests and making them feel welcome. It's in the perfect location for a weekend or a day getaway and to a to do in the town!

• Stayed September 2013
Harrypacker, Owner at Harry Packer Mansion Inn, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
It is wonderful to know our guests truly enjoy staying with us! We strive for excellence and it's great to hear positive feedback. Thanks!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The Harry Packer Mansion was referred to my husband and I by a friend and we couldn't be more pleased with the time we had! Do not hesitate to call them right now and book a weekend stay. There doesn't seem to be a 'bad' time of year to go!

We stayed in a Carriage House guest room (there was only one room left as we decided last minute we needed a getaway) and it was surprisingly new and well appointed. My husband and I had ever stayed at a B&B once before and were left 'eh' on the experience. The Harry Packer seems to fit more of an inn feel (each room with their own bathroom for example) and may have raised the bar on expectations of other establishments! No televisions - GOOD! - because a weekend getaway isn't meant to sit holed up in a room watching the same shows I could see at home. Spending time at the Harry Packer is an invitation to detach from our everyday lives (but hey - there is WiFi in both the main house and the Carriage house so we did stay on top of work obligations).

Arriving in the nick of time on Friday night for the Murder Mystery experience, my husband and I were warmly greeted by one of the owners, Bob, and quickly served a drink from the Libations Lounge operated by the owner's son Taylor and his wife Kristin. Along with four other couples, my husband and I were expertly guided through a great mix of historical people and facts and a nice touch of fiction to create a very well written story. Over the course of Friday night, Saturday morning after breakfast, and Saturday night before/after dinner we weaved ours own ad-lib stories in with the "Inspector Bob"s tale of family money and murder. Turns out I wasn't the murder - whew! - but no spoilers here! I hear the story is a bit different each time.

Walking around Jim Thorpe we ran into many other couples that were eager to chat up the local food scene and most had already been to the Harry Packer to stay and highly recommended it (without knowing we were already booked there). The visitors and town alike seem to love the effort and care that Bob, his wife Pat, their son Taylor and his wife Kristen put into the property. Most people we bumped into had done the Murder Mystery and were eager to chat about plot differences (AFTER they made sure we were done with the experience). I can tell you that my husband and I WILL be returning to Jim Thorpe and staying at the Harry Packer Mansion again. It is ALL because of the hospitality that the Handwerk family has to their guests.

NOTE - When in Jim Thorpe be sure to take the Asa Packer Mansion tour next door (but AFTER you finish the Murder Mystery), eat at Crave, Broadway Grill (get the cheese plate oh my!), Molly Maguire's and shop up and down Race and Broadway.

Room Tip: Choose the Main House if you want the full experience of the historical decor - choose the Carriage...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for the great review! It is wonderful to have guests not only enjoy their experience with us but everywhere in town. We look forward to having you back. Thanks again!
Rockville Centre, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

My husband and I had been talking about going to Jim Thorpe for some time and finally decided to
visit last month. We wanted to experience the Victorian charm of the town to the fullest and decided that staying at the Harry Packer mansion was just the ticket. We were not disappointed. The mansion was beautiful and nicely decorated in period decor. Pat and Bob were friendly and inviting. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and you will too.

Room Tip: Harry's Room was charming and comfortable.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Harrypacker, Owner at Harry Packer Mansion Inn, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thank you so much for the kind words, I wish there was a review place for guests so we could give you 5 stars too!!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

After our "host" ran out to greet us with "I didn't realize you were on a motorcycle" we were glad we prepaid because she wouldn't have checked us in otherwise. We were asked before we even got inside to "make sure you do not start the bike at night because it would make problems"! As we have our own high standards, we have no intention of roaring high at 1am! We wanted to calmly tour the town after a quick nap, and my wife went to the parlor while I napped. Needless to say the atmosphere in and around the place and the Proprietors leave much to be desired!! No fun or cheer here! While the room is ok and breakfast was fine, these people need lessons on happiness and charm!! No discrimation would help too, as everyone knows people that may own motorcycles are not all cheap and broke. The host was overall cranky and standoffish and the whole experience was not a good one.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Harrypacker, Owner at Harry Packer Mansion Inn, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
I regret to write this response because I don't want to embarrass you or your wife but the reputation of our business makes this impossible to ignore. We did report your threats of multiple negative reviews posted by you and your friends to trip advisor. We hoped this would all go away before it went public but to no avail.
We have no issue with motorcycles but when one is so loud that other guests complain about it we must take action. We had other guests here that same weekend on quiet motorcycles; it is not the method of transportation but the difficult attitude that was the problem. The attitude of, "who cares I'll do what I want," does create an uncomfortable situation. Your returning to the mansion late at night so drunk you couldn't get in the backdoor and then ringing the bell continuously only made matters worse. I do give credit to your wife who apologized profusely as you both stumbled up the stairs. We also received a call before you returned from the bar that night alerting us that your credit card was declined, you were loud and drunk. One person versus 22 other guests; we have to think of the comfort of the majority.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We had a wonderful weekend. Harry Packer’s mansion is located in a picturesque old town of Jim Thorpe. Mountain views are amazing. It is an old coal mining town that stretched along an old rail road line that is still operating on weekends as a local tourist attraction. The tragic history of Packer’s family, lost fortune and beautifully preserved old house were a perfect setting for “murder mystery” weekend. We stayed in Annie’s suite, well preserved two original rooms all beautifully decorated based on 1800’s tastes and colors, 20” ceiling and a bathroom that is probably comparable in size to my bedroom in NY. It felt like we were invited to stay with Mr. Packer’s family.
Murder mystery, entirely new concept for me, was surprisingly entertaining. Detective Bob (owner of the BB) was dexterous to move the discussion and all twists and turns of the long story in the right direction. It was more than entertaining, we learned US history by re-enacting several days from 100 years ago. Bob did a wonderful job, we all felt like part of the Parker family.
Breakfast was delicious and if you add Mountain Views from the porch on which the breakfast was served it was just splendid.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hi there!
I am so glad that Bob's enthusiasm for the murder mystery and the history of the Packer family made for an enjoyable weekend for you.
Hope to see you again soon.
Warmest regards, Pat
phila
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

The Harry Packer Mansion and Jim Thorpe is the perfect setting for a Murder Mystery experience.

There are a lot of things to see and do in the town and surrounding area.

The Mansion is beautiful. The hosts were very nice and helpful. The food was delicious. The Murder Mystery roll-playing experience was fun.

I would definitely recommend it!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
We are so glad you had a fun weekend and hope you'll return for the next mystery!
Northumberland, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

My husband & I were given this weekend (June 21st to June 23rd, 2013) getaway as an anniversary gift by our daughter. We've stayed at other Bed & Breakfast's during our 14 years of marriage. When the door opens, no matter how impressed you are with the outside of the building, you wonder what you will experience. We were kindly greeted by Pat & Taylor & trying to absorb what they are saying to you as you are turning in a circle looking round & up at the amazing entrance & adjoining rooms. Everything had a touch of love & quaintness to it that served its purpose by fitting right in with the period of the building! Our stay was wonderful & they recommended the Wheel restaurant to us which we frequented twice during our stay. We had quite a group & the real ice breaker was "Inspector Bob" during our Mystery Murder weekend. The mystery will keep you on your toes by having to learn your assigned character & what really helps is having the bar in the next room where I enjoyed "chocotini's"! My husband & I plan on returning for a different "mystery murder weekend"! Thank you Bob, Pat, Taylor & your adorable wife whose name I did not catch! If you are looking for a getaway with gobs of interesting history, beautiful Victorian surroundings & a house that has been restored with love, respect & hard work, this is the place for you. Anyone can stay at a sterile & generic motel/hotel room with no character where there is no interaction & no chance to meet & make new friends, but my husband & I prefer the Harry Packer Mansion!!! See you soon!!!

Room Tip: Any room would be great because we stayed on the third floor & were able to enjoy gazing at the...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
trackrat325is, Owner at Harry Packer Mansion Inn, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words!
A great review reminds us how much we love making guests happy they stayed with us!

Been to Harry Packer Mansion Inn? Share your experiences!