“Fabulous week-end!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Harry Packer Mansion Inn

You added Harry Packer Mansion Inn to your Saves list
Harry Packer Mansion Inn
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   19 Packer Ave., PO Box 458, Jim Thorpe, PA 18229   |
Ranked #2 of 19 Jim Thorpe B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Marlton, New Jersey
“Fabulous week-end!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

Just spent the week-end at the Harry Packer Mansion Murder Mystery. From the time we arrive on Friday evening through Sunday morning we were entertained. The murder mystery week-end was filled with fun, laughter and great food. The staff was very accommodating. Breakfast was delicious home made waffles, fresh friut, eggs, nut breads and Saturday night dinner was superb prime rib. Fabulous fun, relaxing week end. Hats off to Bob and Pat for making our stay so great!

Mary and Tom C.

Room Tip: Warm and cozy!
Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Scranton, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011

My husband and I prefer to stay at a bed and breakfast over a hotel. We like the quaintness of the experience, the (often times) historical aspect of the facility, the personable staff, the homey feeling, the "catered to" aspect and the over all unique experience. In all our travels and stays at bed and breakfast facilities, we've never been left to feel so unimpressed as we have when we stayed at the Harry Packer Bed and Breakfast in Jim Thorpe, PA.

First, we made our reservations by phone back in October for our St Patricks Day stay. We chose to reserve a room in the Carriage House. We were told by phone that we would be charged only a $100 deposit. When we received our credit card statement in November, we were charged $165.00 in full (includes state & local taxes) for the visit. I emailed the bed and breakfast and in response were told by Patricia Handwerk that it was their error and were offered a few options:

1. Cancel the reservation and be refunded the full amount.
2. Credit back $65 and pay at the time of check out.
3. Leave the charge and be mailed the receipt.

We opted for option #3. This was on November 7th. November 29th rolled around and we'd still not received any receipt. I emailed again and was told, again by Patricia, that it was mailed and perhaps the holidays were holding things up. At this point, I printed out all email communication with this bed and breakfast and made a copy of our credit card statement. Our trust and confidence in this establishment was just completely diminished.

On March 16th I called to confirm our reservation and Patricia had answered the phone. When I asked her what time we could check in, we were told any time after 4pm. The next day we arrived at 4:15pm and while Patricia (Pat) did lead us to the Carriage House and permit us to check in to our room, we could not enter the Mansion until 6pm because the Mansion "wasn't ready" yet. Beyond showing us to our room, Patricia did nothing to make us feel welcomed. We'd never felt so unwelcomed in a bed and breakfast as we had at the Harry Packer Mansion. Seriously, for $165 bucks a night, I want an experience. A full blown experience. All we got was a room and told that we could enter the mansion at 6pm. Ok fine, perhaps had we gone to the mansion at 6pm, we would have gotten SOMETHING for our money, but at this point.... we felt like just sucking it up and going out on the town and finding some enjoyment!

The room. Our room in the Carriage House was cute, but the white.... (or were they off white?) .... curtains were black at the bottom hem. Filthy! The hand towels in the bathroom looked like they had encountered bleach and were discolored. The robes that hung behind the door looked like they'd been purchased at the Salvation Army because they were that "used" looking. Disgusting and gross. Again for $165 a night, you expect clean curtains! It's a basic expectation!

The next morning we headed over to breakfast.... to which I was not looking forward too. Now, let me say right up front..... part of this is MY fault..... but yet, I was also NEVER asked which was unusual in our experience with bed and breakfast establishments. I'm vegan and was never asked if we had any dietary needs. Once the chaos with the deposit and the lack of receipt in the mail that was promised, I just didn't feel the need to tell them I was vegan because honestly.... if you can screw up mailing a receipt, am I going to trust that you can make even the most basic vegan breakfast? Again, I accept part responsibility because I could have told them, but I just felt like it wasn't something I could trust at the end of the day. In fact, we showed up for breakfast at last minute. Originally my husband and I were just going to check out and grab breakfast on our 45 minute trip home. In any event, I ended up eating fruit, wasn't so bad. My husband ate scrambled eggs and cold hashbrowns. Not luke warm, but cold. We were the only ones staying at the Mansion/Carriage House that day so it's not like Patricia had a lot of people to cook for and had problems keeping the food warm. We were also served french toast made with raisin bread.... which we both passed since I'm the stupid vegan (said with humor!) and my husband hates raisins. We both left a little hungry and feeling like we could have gotten better quality at the local diner.

As we pulled out of the driveway, my husband mentioned that perhaps we'd gotten such a raw deal because we were staying there during the week and not during their money making "murder mystery" weekends. We'll never know. We'll never be back to visit. Thankfully.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Harrypacker, Owner at Harry Packer Mansion Inn, responded to this review, April 18, 2011
Trip advisor suggests that all reviews be answered by the property, I have spent several weeks trying to figure out how to respond to such anger and hostility and am still at a loss.
Most negative reviews you have a hint are coming, some are even deserved,
but this is what I call an ambush review.
I had no idea the second receipt never arrived so when I answered the door to a very cool couple had I no idea why they were not very friendly.
I figured, bad ride up, little fight, etc so I just plowed right along hoping for the best.
I explained the house was not ready yet(plumbing issue, no need to go into the gory details) but by the time they settled into their room it would be available for them to wander around, enjoy the lounge or sit in front of the fire. No response.
Asked what their plans were for the night, not much more in the way of an answer so I let it go and showed them the room, the coffee service, and locking system .
Asked if breakfast at 9 was good for them, got a yes.
Never saw them again until 10AM the next morning.
I had breakfast ready at 9 and at 9:30 tossed it out, eggs don't keep and I figured they were sleeping in, no big deal.
At 10 when they came over I remade the breakfast, eggs, potatoes, french toast, fresh fruit, muffins, breakfast bread, orange juice. Served it and went back a few moments later and asked if they needed anything else, answer was no. Asked how the evening was, not much in reply.
Wished them a safe ride home, and I thought that was the end....what a surprise!

I have checked all the robes, Ralph Lauren would have his feelings hurt!
Checked all the lace curtains and yes the ones in 5 and 6 had absorbed sill stain from the windows being left open and the rain coming in, so they were replaced.
I can't explain the mail, but would have liked to know.

I guess what it comes down to is one persons friendliness is another's nosiness, one person's respect for privacy is another's coolness, one person's soft, comfy robe is anothers old ratty thing, one person's lovely room with freshly ironed sheets, egyptian cotton towels (organic dyes), fresh flowers, is another person's dirty room.

Make no mistake, bad reviews hurt, they stay with you for a long time but sometimes you just have to look back and realize there was nothing that you could do and try to learn from the experience. Opening the door to a guest at an Inn is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get. Luckily it is usually a wonderful sweet experience for all but sometimes, well, it's hard center!

I still think if the reviewer had spoken up we could all have had a sweet experience.
nazareth, pa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2011

We just got back from the murder mystery weekend. What a great time. Everyone gets a part and participates in the mystery. The hosts inspector Bob his wife and son and his fiance were all great. The rooms were clean and nice. The only complaint is there is no cable in the rooms but that did not bother me to much. Breakfast and dinner were excellent. The people that were in the mystery with us were awesome.

• Stayed February 2011
trackrat325is, Owner at Harry Packer Mansion Inn, responded to this review, February 21, 2011
Thank you for the lovely review, your group was fantastic!
Can't wait to see you back again.
Warmest regards, Pat

PS I'll think about the cable :)
Southold NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2011

Perfect weekend, more relaxing than a weekend at the spa.
Murder Mystery was a barrel of laughs.
Let me preface my review by saying we have traveled the world, my husband is a classically trained French Chef and I work in the Hospitality Industry. Therefore we tend to have very high standards regarding our fields. This is one of the few properties that we have stayed at that exceeded our standards.
We arrived, were promptly greeted, checked in and escorted to our room in the carriage house. Our room was spacious, toasty warm and ever so cozy. It was apparent upon entering our room the high level of cleanliness. Being that I work in the Hospitality Industry I know the difference between a room truly cleaned and sanitized and one that's not. A great convenience was a coffee center/refrigerator located in the downstairs hallway. It was ever so nice to be able to have a cup of coffee, prior to heading up to the main house for breakfast. Breakfast was a buffet, which changed each day and featured fresh made items. We were delighted with the quality as well as the variety of buffet items. Dinner Saturday night was also a buffet which was magnificent. All aspect's of both the breakfast and dinner buffet menus were prepared and presented to the highest culinary level. There is a bar at the Inn called "Libations". It has a nice selection of wine, beer and spirits, which are reasonably priced.
The murder mystery was more entertaining than we anticipated. Bob keep the mystery going with numerous plot twist which kept us guessing until the end when the murderer was reveled.
The family that runs the inn (Bob, Pat, Taylor, and Kristen) do an amazing job at making you feel welcomed right from the minute you walk in the door. They are all wonderful about answering questions about the Inn, area and history of the town Jim Thorpe.
We enjoyed every aspect of our weekend and therefore intend on making this an annual trip for us!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2010

Seven friends and I stayed for a Murder Mystery weekend and had a ball. I would definitely recommend for any and everybody to relax, enjoy and solve a murder mystery. The food was delicious, service perfect and the bar refreshing.
A place I would definitely revisit.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Radnor, Pa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2010

I a great time with Bob, Pat, Taylor, and Kristen (they run the B&B), the beer and wine selection is diverse and delicious. The town is fun too, lots of cool little shops...can't wait to go back next year.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Waverly, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2010

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Harry Packer in the Carriage House. It was very nice. The beds were very comfortable and the room was toasty warm despite being very cold outside at night. We had one warm day, and we spent some time on the nice porch at the mansion. The proprietors served us some very nice bottles of wine while we overlooked the mountains and the beautiful town of Jim Thorpe. We couldn't have been more pleased, and we'll definitely be going back.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Harry Packer Mansion Inn? Share your experiences!