“OK Tour” 3 of 5 stars

Fairport
22 attraction reviews
“OK Tour”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

OK tour, interesting with history of Molly Maguires and that this old place was actually used as a prison until the mid 1990's.
Tour is about 20-30 minutes with a guide who gives historical information and trivia about the building and its prior occupants. Interesting, but I would not put this at the top of my to see list for the area.

Hamburg, Pennsylvania, United States
3 attraction reviews
“Interesting!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Great tours! Very informative and neat to see the old jail! The handprint is very creepy! It's hard to imagine being locked up in that facility...

Sewell, New Jersey
3 attraction reviews
“A Pretty Cool Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

This was an interesting experience. Seeing the way that the prisoners lived, as recently as the mid-1990s, was cool. The history of the Molly Maguires is also very interesting, and the gallows built in the prison is appropriately creepy. While I am not a believer in ghosts, the Old Jail is a great spooky addition to the Jim Thorpe Ghost Walk and I would suggest it to anyone planning a couple of days in Jim Thorpe during any time of year.

Visited December 2011
philadelphia
13 attraction reviews
“Interesting attraction. Especially good for rainy day.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I've been here a few times and find it a cool attraction. We didn't have a very good guide this time, but in the past they've been a bit better informed. There's some interesting history connected w/ this jail (e.g., about coal miner strikes, prejudice against Irish, penal policies, architecture), although the tour itself is not extensive. It's interesting to learn about how things changed over the decades and the lore of the "handprint" on the wall that still exists decades later. Also sobering to see how solitary confinement was back in those days. It starts off w/ a short video, but you get a guided tour and then a little time to wander around as well. This jail was also in a Sean Connery film covering some of the history around the time of the coal strikes and the ensuing death penalty meted out on possibly innocent miners of the time.
I think kids would enjoy this as well b/c of how it makes the history come alive (and it's short enough to not tax their attention spans).

Pennsylvania, United States
“I now fully believe in spirits.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I went to the jail for the first time on a field trip in 3rd grade and went again two years ago. I'm now 17 and yesterday I went with my mom for the last tour of the year. I already know the stories by heart so I was more focused on pictures. I caught a heap of orbs in 90% of them, all taken on the bottom two floors, which brings me to the Dungeon. After we had the moment of roaming, me and my mom were a little behind the group and when everyone was walking up the steps- we were the only two left in the Dungeon- when I heard something and turned around to see what the sound was.
Across the room where the heating system was, there was a wire with a chain hanging off the bottom. Half the chain caressed the stone cement floor.
It. Was. Moving.
It swayed a bit, then it went a little bit stronger. I turned and stopped my mom with a breathless, "Mom, that chain is moving."
She turned around and let out a low, "Oh my god." We both stood there shocked- when it started moving even more. Side to side, stronger than before.
I ran to the door and yelled up the steps, "GUYS, GUYS THE CHAIN IS MOVING."
Everyone paused and looked down when it caught my ear again. The chain was moving even more rapid.
That's when I lost it. Normally, I'm not one to scream or run away from something.
But I screamed. And I ran up the steps past everyone.
My heart has never drummed so heart in my chest. I have never felt so light headed and weak. I couldn't breathe right for a half hour after that happened. It was pure horror and amazement all in one.
The first thing my mom did when she got upstairs is bombard the staff with, "Was that just to freak us out? Did one of you do it?"
Everyone was clueless until we told them what happened.
I never had anything to back up my belief in the paranormal, but now I do.

For some reason, I kept trying to put logic to it.
But there is no logic. The chain was hanging off the cement ceiling and the heating was not making any vibrations or noises. It was too heavy to be moved by heating or a draft. It looked like someone was moving it from the middle, like someone had their hand on the middle and was moving it side to side.
After, we requested to go back down and it didn't happen again. My mom said it takes them a lot of energy to move things.

I'm now going to go a bunch next year with a charged camera and hopes of catching something paranormal on film or if I'm lucky, maybe a repeat of something I can see.