“Awesome ride....” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Water sports, Adventure
Hillsborough, New Jersey
“Awesome ride....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

I have done this before but this time with kids(4-6yr olds). Very helpful throughout the trip... Made the trip very enjoyable! They spent at least 10 mins trying to pick wet suit for 5 yr old. They don't have small size suit rentals (if you plan to bring kids). They take pic of your ride but make only 2 copies. My group got both so i had to order separate... Cost me additional charge and 2 wk delay.

New York, NY
6 attraction reviews
“Excellent Place and great Professional Guides”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

This is great place to visit family and friends; This was our 2nd visit in 2 years; professional staff, great river guides, Nice showers and changing facilities; + Free hot dogs and root beer at the end of the trip.

Toronto, Canada
6 attraction reviews
“Storm During Rafting trip”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

We signed up for the A Touch of Class 2 trip. This trip allows 6 year olds to go on the trip. The beginning of the trip was nice. However, when we stopped for lunch the sky was getting dark. The organizers brought buses to bring us back due to the storm but apparently someone made the call to continue. We got caught in a massive storm with high winds and lightening, which was very frightening. If you are considering this trip, make sure to watch the weather as I didn't feel the organizers did enough to avoid us getting caught up in the storm. Had they decided to cancel the trip at the break, I would have respected their decision much more as the beginning part of the trip was enjoyable...until the storm.

Baltimore, Maryland
“A full day of family team-building fun....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

When our family of two teens, two adults, arrived, we found out we were too early. We were were given paper work to sign in and directed to a local eatery to buy a lunch. Originally, we brought snacks, but were advised that the time out on the river would be around four hours. However, hot dogs, beverages, are provided for free at the end of the day.

The time rafting could have went wrong, but the guides helped so much. The problem with family-rafting is people of very different athletic ability, and strength, have to find a way to steer the raft without it going too far off course. Every time my husband would paddle, he would cause us to go to one side. We tried my teens in the front, diagonal, etc. The guides were so patient, and helpful. Several times, we had to be pulled off rocks. As a teacher, I really appreciated their style. One of the guides would observe us, give some pointers, then let us work. It was just like what a great teacher would do. Teach, and then let the kid work, then observe and help. I would say that alone was so very awesome. The guides were so nice, humorous, and helpful. The owner even came over to help. During the second half of the day, because of the guides, and a lot of work, we were able to figure out a method. My husband would just steer us, but we would row. It worked out great. I can't say enough about how the guides were so helpful. Also, it looks crowded, but the river is big. Even bumping into to each other, once in a while, we had enough room.

I would say that this is a kind of an all-day activity. Be prepared to have a relaxing, full day, from check-in to the the end of the trip, when hot dogs are served. You will be tired, but the scenery, and the atmosphere is very mindful of days at summer camp. The trip back and forth to the river even included a school bus. Yes, just like you remember. I would highly recommend Jim Thorpe River Adventures.

Trumbull, Connecticut
8 attraction reviews
“Tremendous Fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

My friend and I had a blast, and with approximately five hours on the river, this trip is also a good value for the price. Unlike some other, similar, rafting outfits, there is not a guide placed in every raft, which we viewed as a positive in that it added to the sense of adventure. The guides who did accompany our floatilla did so in kayaks and were universally positive, supportive and helpful. My only criticisms would be the failure to provide helmets - several members of our raft were tossed overboard during the course of the trip - and the long delay leading up to putting in the river. For our 12:00pm reservation we did not get into the rafts until after 2:00pm. My sense was that this company accepts a large number of bookings for each time slot, and the unwieldy size of each group inevitably leads to a slowdown in the pre-rafting process.

Visited June 2012