“Stopped in for a frappe” 4 of 5 stars

570 325-2916
Improve this listing
Ranked #17 of 32 Restaurants in Jim Thorpe
Cuisines: American, Coffee Shop
“Stopped in for a frappe”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Had a great mocha frappe, last minute decision. We were walking around for the first weekend of the fall festival and it was very warm and I saw the sign and thought it would be a cute stop. Inside is very nice, would have liked to sit a bit but we had tickets for the train. Liked that they had interesting seating areas,board games you could play, places to sit and read and I think they had a few seats outside also. Young girl at the counter was very nice showing me all the flavors. Ended up with just a mocha frappe and it was just as good as one from any major chain. Would get a drink there again when I get a chance to get back to Jim Thorpe.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Best Pumpkin Spiced Latte Ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

This place is amazing! They had the best, made from scratch, pumpkin spiced latte EVER... I've tried tons, theirs is highly addictive & "the real deal" as they called it-I agree!

Visited September 2013
pottsville, pa
“Give the owner a break!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Just give the owner a little bit of a break.... like his social skills aren't the best but he tries.... he dresses is pretty nice and always wears nice tight lee jeans. I think the coffee was great though.... great lattes and frappes. Like I think deep down he's a nice sensitive guy. Like he made fun of my girlfriend because she ordered her coffee with skim milk.... but I don't think he knows any better. I mean give him a break, maybe he was picked up when he was younger.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Scranton, Pennsylvania
“Only giving three stars because the coffee was actually good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Although not my first time in Jim Thorpe, this was my first time at this business. I was attracted to it because of the name, Strange Brews. I am a person who thoroughly enjoys experimenting with different coffee flavors and cream combinations, so I thought I would give it a try. But this place had some issues.

When you walk in (like most coffee houses) there is a huge menu on the wall so you can prepare your order ahead of time. However, one of the items on this board offers many flavors and the flavors itself are listed at the counter. This is for their "candy coffee". I wanted to try one of these so I went to the counter to find the list. I CLEARLY was looking down reading the list, and a guy came over to me asking me what I wanted. I politely told him I was still deciding on a flavor, and he was grumpy and walked away. Why would you post the flavors on the counter and then get mad when a customer needs to look at it first and isn't ready to order? Whatever. So I decided on a flavor after only about a minute and I told him what I chose. He asked if I wanted it as a hot coffee and when I said yes he gave me a weird look, as if I'm weird for wanting a hot coffee in early September. And then it came to only $2, but I only had a $20 bill. He asked if I had anything smaller, and I said that I was sorry, I only had a $20 bill. He then proceeded to laugh at me and tell me that next time I should go to an ATM first. WHAT?! Why would you tell your customers that? It is not my fault that YOUR STORE is not prepared with enough change to give someone who has a $20 bill rather than having the correct amount of dollars. Not to mention the fact that an ATM wouldn't have helped anyway because they do not give out dollar bills! I thought I was helping them out by not running my debit card for a measely $2 transaction because I know that each time they swipe a card it does cost them money. Not just them, but any business. So I give you my cash and you laugh at me, making me feel as though I did something wrong? Weirdo.

But putting the awkward staff aside, this place itself is really cool. There's artwork all over the walls, couches, little tables up on a stage, and a back room for tarrot card readings. And the coffee that I did get was REALLY good. I chose a small Peanut Butter Cup hot coffee with cream and sugar. It was a decent sized small for only $2 and had actual peanut butter cups in it and was topped with whipped cream and peanut butter syrup. It was really good. I do recommend it! This is one of those situations where I will come back because of the product, not because of the staff.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Massachusetts
“Personality Deficiency; maybe it's the caffeine?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I'll start by saying I rarely give bad reviews. There is always something nice to say about a business, especially a small, locally owned business. There's a first time for everything I guess...

If one is in the service industry and dealing with the public, one should actually *like* people. The proprietor of this establishment has always been a bit on the cranky side (I never knew his name, unlike many of the other businesses around his), but the coffee was excellent so I put up with him on my 15+ trips to JT. I'm a decaf drinker and although I know I get sideways glances at coffee houses, I've never been outright ridiculed for it :-) Even when I have; it's all good; I know I'm a freak.

My last (and final) time in Strange Brew the young man who owns/runs the business told me angrily "there's no such thing as a decaf cappuccino/latte" and I was misinformed. I guess the last five he served me didn't count... He went into a lengthy and rather boring explanation about the history of coffee and espresso (at least he didn't call it eXpreso, I guess). I suppose I should be informing places like Starbucks and nice Italian restaurants that what they are serving me is not really a decaf cappuccino.

Rude, unfriendly and seriously not worth the effort of trying to order a coffee without hassle. Who spends their money to be hassled??

The good news is: I saw new baristas hanging around out front on break; so maybe he's decided to be more behind the scenes. I hope so, because that's the only way I'm going in there again.

Visited October 2012