“Good stay; poor wifi” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure Sydney International Airport

You added Mercure Sydney International Airport to your Saves list
Mercure Sydney International Airport
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   20 Levey Street, Wolli Creek, Rockdale, New South Wales 2205, Australia   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Wolli Creek

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Korean first
Largs Bay, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

Due to disrupted flight home from Nhulunbuy in the NT following a work trip, I was re routed to Sydney for an overnight stay. Qantas arranged for my stay at the Mecure Sydney Airport. i arrived on the Sydney shuttle, and with all the excavation work going on out the front, I didnt get a good look at the accommodation until we pulled up out the front, at 9.30pm. The foyer was very busy, as many flights had been rerouted or cancelled due to the extreme heat wave/bushfires raging in Australia. The front of house staff were very good and had people checked in quickly and with a minimum of fuss. The room was very comfortable and the bed was to die for, especially after a very long tiring day traveling... I had to leave at 5am for an early flight, so the bed comfort was a great positive. Due to its close proximity to the airport, I will definitely be booking in here again for that early morning flight out of Sydney rather than sit in traffic out of the city....Thank you Qantas for this find.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

My partner and I stayed at the Mercure Sydney International Airport for one night in late November. We had flown from Cairns and were flying home to Canada the next morning. I had read the reviews and had mentally noted that there might be issues with the timing of the shuttle bus from the airport to the hotel in the evening. I tried to check the shuttle times on my tablet beforehand, but for some reason wasn’t able to do so.

Unfortunately, we must have just missed the 8:35 shuttle. We might even have seen it leave because we arrived in the not clearly designated waiting area between 8:30 and 8:35. To make a long story short, we had to wait until 9:20 before the shuttle arrived. Unlike the many others we had seen come and go, it appeared to have no name on it when it parked on the other side of the one-way traffic lane, instead of at the curb, as if it wasn’t in service. The driver got out and walked across to the sidewalk, apparently in search of waiting passengers. We had to ask him to find out that this was the Mercure shuttle, and then cross the road to reach the bus, which seemed strange and unprofessional.

(I should add that there was a young man with a reflective vest and a phone who seemed to be monitoring the shuttles in a distant kind of way, and he seemed to know the schedules, but he wasn't very communicative and mostly hung out well away from waiting passengers.)

The next not so good thing happened when we arrived at the hotel – along with a number of other people, of course. There were two reception clerks on duty, but both were busy helping people with what seemed to be strangely complicated and time-consuming issues. The first clerk to become free then inexplicably ignored those of us who had formed a line for his help to help others who had arrived later. In fairness to the staff, however, there was a degree of confusion and I suspect the two employees were a little stressed by the situation.

This was not the end of the world, but after the long wait for the shuttle, it didn’t help, and we went up to our room with a not very good feeling about the hotel. However, the room was very nice. It was quite large, clean, comfortable, and quiet. We were not even aware of planes, though it’s quite close to the airport. A few minutes later, we went downstairs to eat. It must have been close to 10:00, and the restaurant was closing, but the room service menu was available at the bar nearby. At that point, my partner decided it was just too late to eat, but I ordered a pasta dish, which came within 10-15 minutes and it was very good.

The beds were comfortable and nothing disturbed us during the night, though the pillows were all too thick for me. In the morning, we had the buffet breakfast at the hotel, which was very good – except, disappointingly, for the coffee, which came from a machine and tasted like instant coffee, though I don’t think it was. Too late I noticed a place where it looked like you could order real coffee – perhaps for an extra charge.

We had booked the shuttle back to the airport and had a very different experience than the previous evening. I think the bus bore the hotel’s name, the driver was much more professional, and it all seemed better organized.

In conclusion, we would recommend the hotel for an overnight stay because our room was good, we got a good night’s sleep, and the breakfast was good. It was relatively expensive for us (we paid $212 for a Superior Twin Room), but less expensive than many of its competitors.

And although we have rarely relied on hotel shuttles in our travels, we learned our lesson in Sydney! Get the shuttle schedule in advance and take a cab if necessary!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

Our stay at The Mercure was average at the most. The lobby was a construction site, the room nothing special and the staff had a bored attitude. If you look for a hotel close to the airport, there're certainly better options for around 200$ a night.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
JRHSydney, General Manager at Mercure Sydney International Airport, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
Hi OneWorld22,

Thank you for your review on Mercure Sydney International Airport.

I would like to clarify that there is no development occurring at Mercure Sydney International Airport which includes the lobby area. There is a development in the surrounding vicinity which you may be referring to.

Once again thank you for your review and we hope to welcome you upon your next visit.

Warm regards,
Joleen R. Hurst
Brisbane
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

Handy to airport which was beneficial. Signage and directions on where to find the shuttle pick up point at the airport was woeful! Room was comfortable, but fittings and décor could be best described as being "tired" Food in ground floor restaurant was of good quality and tasted fine. Staff at front desk were helpful and courteous anytime I had to speak with them about something. Leaving luggage in storage for the day after checking out was no problem.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
JRHSydney, General Manager at Mercure Sydney International Airport, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Dear Princeyprince,

Thank you for staying at Mercure Sydney International Airport and providing a review.

It is unfortunate that you experienced confusion when looking for the shuttle pick-up point at the airport. This will be reviewed. Please be aware that we provide timetables and pick up point maps on our webpage.

I would greatly appreciate if you could provide the room number that you stayed in as this would provide the opportunity to address the description. Please note that the hotel has recently completed a multimillion dollar refurbishment including Superior rooms, lobby, bar and conferencing spaces.

Again thank you for your review and I look forward to welcoming you upon your next stay.

Please contact me on H5603-SL5@accor.com

Warm regards,
Joleen R. Hurst
General MAnager
Gwandalan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

Stayed here for 1 nights recently and was happy with all services provided. I am an Accor Platinum member so have stayed at plenty of Mercure's in the past. Check in was easy and the Privilege room I was upgraded to was quite large and appeared recently renovated as was the rest of the hotel. Had lunch in the restaurant with 4 others and meals were great as was dinner with my wife. Restaurant service was also good being quick and efficient. If I was coming to a hotel near the airport again I would definitely stay here. Transfer bus to the airport is also good and fair value at $6 each if you had more than 2 people a taxi would be cheaper though.

Room Tip: Try and get upgraded to a Privilege room.