“Just a few little probs !” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza

You added Crowne Plaza to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Pine Tree Lane, Terrigal, New South Wales 2260, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Terrigal
Sydney, Australia
“Just a few little probs !”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We booked on Good Friday evening...computer problems (not on any other site) so I phoned a helpful young woman in the Philipines, I suspect, who treied to help, but I explained I liked to read what I was getting. Minutes later a booking confirmation arrived by email (1 night...we wanted 2) so I phoned the hotel again, this time requesting to speak to the operater who was very helpful and we made a booking for a king room, with balcony and ocean views and b/fst. When we arrived this Monday we were offered an upgrade to a suite, for an extra $75 per night, which we took. The rooms were great: large and with wonderful views. But there were a number of little problems which I didn't expect when we were paying over $300 a night! The housekeeping was just not up to scratch. The rooms were clean, but there were scuff marks on two walls, one wall had been "cleaned" but there was a large area of circular marks which indicated the poor standard of the cleaning. The carpet in the main room looked as if it may not have been vacuumed, or only very quicky on our second day. There was a large cobweb on the light fitting above the partition which was there the entire time...not good for my aracnophobic hubbie. A sticky mark left by a glass of lemonade on the side table by the lounge was not washed at all...I did that. The mugs, which did not match, were not properly washed...still had stains. Housekeeping should use detergent. I assume the mugs were rinsed in the bathroom, but I had already done this. The dining table was not steady. Coffee and tea were not replaced on the second day, luckily we had brought our own, but, once again, at this price, I expected more. The bed was also a concern. It was king sized and comfortable, as beds in previous Crowne Plaza Hotels, but the mattress protector was way too small...perhaps designed to be used on a Queen bed, and the bottom sheets were too small, just being tucked in on both sides. They came adrift over night both nights, causing some discomfort. The second day when the bed had been made, I checked and no attempt had been made to tuck in the sheets. The shower hed was stuck so my tall husband had an uncomfortable first shower, though this was fixed that day, after I spoke to the duty manager. The ironing board could not be stood up, so I finished up ironing on it resting on the bed! Finally, on the first morning, my breakfast order was apparently lost and after waiting patiently for quite a while, I had to make a second request. Each of these things is relatively minor, but there are too many of them, especially when this was apparently the best room they had to offer, and given the reputation of the chain. Terrigal prides itself on being laid back, but clients have expectations which need to be met if they are to return. Oh, and the spa, which is great, was closed for cleaning the day we left, which was very disappointing, as this is one of the main attractions of the hotel for me.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter...also early in the week, as pub noise can be annoying on weekends. Don...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Cameron A, Manager at Crowne Plaza, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Dear Kaz P,
Thank you for your feedback.
I am both saddened and disappointed to read of your experience at our hotel.
I would like to discuss this with you on a more personal level. Could you kindly forward your details to this email reservations.terrigal@ihg.com, so I can make contact.
Thank you for your time and I look forward to peaking with you in due course.
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Sydney,Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We stayed on the top floor with an ocean view. The room was very clinical with no soft edges so lacked a warmth feeling. The room was well maintained, and ticked all the boxes but generally didn't feel at all luxurious or romantic.

The bed was comfortable and the hotel was very nice. We just went for an overnight getaway stay and ate lunch in the hotel bar which was average for a four star hotel. The table when we sat down had old glass/dry spilt drink all over it, and on looking around so did the other tables. We were the only ones in the bar so don't know what the problem was. So they could pick up their act a bit in that regard.

We had dinner in the main restaurant and ordered the lobster which was lovely. I ordered the risotto with it which was bland and actually had a weird flavour. The dessert (chocolate tasting plate) was delicious. The service in the restaurant was friendly.

The breakfast was good but we didn't realise we had the option to order an omelette and although the waiter showed us the buffet they didn't point out that we could order something fresh. The coffee bar is a brilliant idea - you can order espresso coffee, but the coffee wasnt a great blend.

Overall a nice stay but not really up to the four stars that some might expect.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor room
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Cameron A, Manager at Crowne Plaza, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Dear Dilcieb,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.
I would like to apologise for the issues you had with our main bar and restaurant. I am sorry we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future.
Thank you for staying and we hope that this has not marred future opportunities for you to stay with us.
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Hotel is great but service was inconsistent and the direct website does not offer the best price. They have a best price guarantee where if you can find a cheaper price they supposedly give you your first night free - I applied and basically their policy makes it impossible to be eligible.

Also if you call Crowne Plaza Terrigal it puts you through to an overseas call centre who were useless in my experience.

A real shame, this review could have been a 4. I get the sense that the mega IHG group is pulling Crowne Plaza Terrigal down.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Cameron A, Manager at Crowne Plaza, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear SamH784,

Thank you for your feedback.

It is disappointing to read that we as a company did not make your reservations experience a seamless one.

There are many sites one can use to book with and as these change frequently we do rely on our guests to meet the terms and conditions of our lowest internet rate guarantee. When met we are certainly prepared to acknowledge and reflect accordingly our guarantee.
Please do let me know when you plan to return, I would be delighted to over see your booking personally.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We recently spent three nights at this hotel and upon arrival upgraded to the top level for only$50 extra per night - well worth it. We had an amazing room with 180 degree views off the balcony of the beach. The buffet breakfast was better than the average hotel, proper coffee on demand and a juicer along with an omelet of your choice and free newspaper, The staff were very friendly and we it's such a beautiful area, would highly recommend. For a beach town only 90 minutes away from Sydney, you'd be hard pressed to find a better place to visit that's as close.

Room Tip: If you have an option to upgrade for a reasonable rate, do it! If you're lucky enough to choose...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Cameron A, Manager at Crowne Plaza, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear D M,
Thank you for your feedback.
I am delighted to read that your stay was so enjoyable.
We appreciate your comments and trust we will see you return to the hotel in the very near future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

The Crowne Plaza Terrigal is our little family getaway when we want a little bit of luxury. The whole family loves this place! It's right across the road from the beach and you can request a room with a beach and pool view which is just beautiful. The rooms are comfortable and includes by Foxtel channels. The kids absolutely love the pool and spa as do my husband and I. The pool is heated to a temperature which is comfortable all year round, but not too warm that it makes you feel like you are in the bath! In the morning we love the buffet breakfast which has everything you could want and you can also order specialty items such as omelettes made to your liking or eggs cooked any way you like. There is even a barista in the restaurant to make you your special morning coffee the way you like it! The restaurant overlooks the beach. We love this hotel and try to get there as often as possible. Just make sure that when you book a room with a beach view that you get it. We once ended up with a view of the road which is apparently a beach view! Make sure you demand a better room if this happens to you. Also, if you have any other issues, for example, we had no hot water pressure in our shower, speak up, because they will do what they can to move you to another room. Overall, we love this place and we always look forward to the next time we will be staying there.

• Stayed December 2012
Cameron A, Manager at Crowne Plaza, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Lgraham2013,

Thank you for your feedback.
It is fantastic to learn that you have been a loyal return guest over the years.
I am delighted to read that the Crowne Plaza has become a memorable place that you love to bring your family.
I have noted that although on some occasions we have not met expectations, we go above and beyond to rectify any issues to ensure the comfort of our guests. These comments are a tribute to our staff and their willingness.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the hotel very soon.

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We live in the area. We took the family for a relatively expensive dinner (mains were over $40) to Seasalt, their upmarket internal restaurant. Our table wasn't ready when we arrived. We stood there for over ten minutes. We had booked early for a window table, didn't get that. There is a function room adjacent and the sound of a large party, the DJ, and the bass came through loudly into the restaurant. Very poor planning on layout. Loud enough that comfortable conversation was curtailed. Service was adequate for a $15/plate but not for this. $10 bread was a couple of low quality rolls cut in half with a garlic paste spread. Service was indifferent throughout. First drinks took a long time to get ordered and delievered. Food was acceptable (we had salmon and steaks, pretty easy dishes). The dishes were all delivered together and were hot, which is better than another experience I had recently. Slow to ge us replacement waters. Slow to acknowledge us when we wanted to order coffees. Nothing was horrible, but the experience was not close to worth the price.

Room Tip: Slightly off the subject, but on point for restaurants, nearby Crave Sushi and Sapa Modern Vietnames...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Cameron A, Manager at Crowne Plaza, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear James H,

I was saddened to read of your disappointment in our Restaurant and that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion.
We take great pride in our menu offerings and this is experience is certainly does not match the high level of standards we try and achieve.
I would be grateful if you could contact me directly on reservations.terrigal@ihg.com, so that we could discuss in more detail.

Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

We walked into this hotel and asked to see a few rooms before deciding what type we wanted for the night.

The clerk was so helpful and showed us this amazing suite with sea views, huge balcony and spa bath. It was out of our budget but he offered us a great rate, and threw in carparking as well. He even had champagne delivered to our room as a honeymoon gift. Very impressive service!

The pool was great. The only drawback was the spa needs to have its water changed, it was quite smelly.

We didn't eat at the hotel but the pool bar was great for drinks.

I would highly recommend this hotel for its fantastic staff and excellent location.

Room Tip: One bedroom suite with spa overlooking the beach.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Cameron A, Manager at Crowne Plaza, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Hayley M,

Congratulations on your Wedding. I am thrilled to find that our staff member provided such a high level of service and provided the personal touch befitting the occasion.
We look forward to welcoming you back next year for your anniversary.

Hotel Manager

Been to Crowne Plaza? Share your experiences!