“Check the crowds first” 3 of 5 stars

1,450 restaurant reviews
1,150 helpful votes 1,150 helpful votes
“Check the crowds first”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

On one hand, great value with 3 courses for $55 - probably the cheapest on the coast. On the other hand, this draws lots of girls nights out where the noise is difficult to hear your own partner. Although it is described as French, it's really a poor Aussie interpretation of what locals think is French. Very ordinary service

Visited January 2014

Terrigal, Australia
“Fantastic value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

Had occasion to celebrate a friend's birthday last night and decided to try Le Chat Noir. We were very impressed with the quality of the food, the service and the beach-side ambience. Three courses for $55.00 is just outstanding value for food this good and the menu is extensive. I can recommend the Duck Confit and the Tarte Tatin. The staff even brought out a small cake with Happy Birthday written in chocolate on the plate for my friend and sang to her - in French of course! A great night.

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sydney
“Excellent meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

Leave the kids at home. Lovely and unexpected surprise in this place. I had duck, husband had steak. We also had bitter chocolate & the meringue dessert. It's French so very rich. Great night. Great wine list too.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014 via mobile

My partner and I had an excellent dinner and this was our first time trying French food, the service was great and the food was excellent, the restaurant had a pleasant atmosphere, can't compare to other French restaurants but we enjoyed it and think its well worth a visit.

Visited January 2014
“3 Course French Meal for $55”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

My wife and I recently visited this local restaurant to celebrate my wife's birthday. We booked online which was easy and a reminder was sent 24 hours before our booking. We arrived to live music playing by a gentleman dressed in French clothing and playing an accordion - very authentic. The restaurant was full but was still quiet and interment. We decided to try the 3 course menu for $55 and our orders were taken on a tablet a modern touch. My wife had the crab for entree the Coq au Vin for main and the Creme brûlée for dessert. All her meals were nicely presented and very tasty especially the slow cooked chicken which she raved about. I had the Balmain Bug for entree, the whole sole for main and the selection of Ice Creams for dessert. There was not much Balmain bug so I was a little disappointed but the sole more than met my expectation it was delightful and cooked to perfection. The ice cream to finish off was nice.
In all we had a very enjoyable night, well priced and we would eat here again.

• Visited December 2013