“great resort” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Oaks Pacific Blue Resort Salamander Bay

Save Saved
You added Oaks Pacific Blue Resort Salamander Bay to your Saves list
Oaks Pacific Blue Resort Salamander Bay
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   265 Sandy Point Road | Salamander Bay, Port Stephens, New South Wales 2317, Australia   |
Offers & Announcements
Stay 3 Nights & Save 15%!
Ranked #10 of 28 hotels in Port Stephens
Sydney, Australia
“great resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

This is a fabulous resort. The restaraunt is great and the pool is amazing! I personally loved the swimout apartments. You have your own private balcony and deck going right out into the pool.
The gym & tennis courts are well looked after and there is a bowling alley right accross the road for the kids or just a bit of fun.
Highly reccomend going anytime other than christmas new year as it gets really busy.
Great resort for single or families. The is a shopping centre accross the road also with everything you could need. There is great oyster farm not to far away where you can grab some freshly schucked oysters and you must stop at Murray Brewery.

Room Tip: the swimout rooms are the best and take a bbq to cook breakfast on the balcony.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
OaksPacificBlue, Manager at Oaks Pacific Blue Resort Salamander Bay, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
It is pleasing to hear that you enjoyed our resort; we take great pride in delivering excellent service to all our guests. We look forward to accommodating you again as our guest here at Oaks Pacific Blue

431 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I would have given this property 5 stars however, the cleaning staff are just atrocious.
The property itself is lovely- the lagoon pool wonderful and we had a 1 bedroom swim out apartment which has a generous balcony to relax upon.

When we arrived we found a cockroach on the floor (alive and on its back) and when we took out the dishes and pots and pans we discovered glued on egg shell on one pot, glued on (heavens knows what!!) on a bowl , filmy glasses and the cutlery required a good scrubbing prior to being used- in fact everything went into the dishwasher to make the crockery etc hygienic).
There were no face washers in the bathroom . When we asked for extra towels we were informed we could have 2 but any more - we would have to pay for. We had one tea towel which we wanted replaced. It was not replaced on day one so we placed it on the floor hoping the cleaning staff would get the hint. Unfortunately, it remained on the floor after they "cleaned". We had to ask for soap as they forgot to replace the almost finished one and at the price we paid it was expected that there would be replacement of soaps etc. without having to ask.

We have stayed here three times before and the same experience with the cleaners occurred and we complained. Obviously it fell on deaf ears so I decided to write a review so that perhaps management may actually realise that cleanliness rather than sloppiness is expected for at least the purpose of hygeine, not to mention value for the money people pay.
The bedding was clean but there were stains and perhaps these items should have been reitred.

Another shock was to return to our room after a day out ,to discover our door was left ajar by the cleaners. Fortunately we were not robbed. I called the desk and they said that a man would come and fix the door to ensure it closed automatically when pushed. Perhaps he was busy but we failed to see him at all.The exhaust in the bathroom , also reported did not work , nor did it before our departure. It was close to Xmas so I assume everyone was not around to do repairs.

That being said, the place is a great resort for couples and families and we just did a cleanup ourselves.We like the swim out idea and the large balcony and the sunny light rooms. At $324 a night we felt a tad annoyed the servicing of the rooms was substandard. You may ask why we come back if the servicing of rooms is so bad?? We probably won't return unless guaranteed far better cleanliness. We stayed because the resort itself is gorgeous and close to good shops and beaches .(we also took our own teatowels and dishwashing liquid with us to ensure we could do a good clean!!!!) If you come, bring some elbow grease, tea towels and cleaning liquids and you will be fine.

Room Tip: The swimout rooms are great- just expect a bit of noise but it is worth it Take cleaning materials...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
I am pleased to see you enjoyed our swim out style of room. I am of course dismayed at the issues you seem to have had regarding the cleaning of your room. Please be assured this is not the normal standard presented to our guests and these issues have been forwarded to the relevant managers for their action. We do hope to see you again here at Oaks Pacific Blue as our guest
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

We stayed in this place in June this year and i absolutely loved it. The rooms were immaculately cleaned and reasonable spacious. I love the of all ground floor rooms having direct access to the pool. the large balcony. The only downside was that it was too cold then to enjoy the pool.

We booked it through wotif, so the price was pretty good for the hotel. If I was to go back to Port Stephens with my family and my lil niece, this is definitely somewhere I would go back too.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks you for your kind feedback, myself and my staff are pleased to see you enjoyed your stay. We continually strive to maintain our property and ensure our guests have a most enjoyable stay. We look forward to accomodating you as our guest here again at Oaks Pacific Blue
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

1 bed room swimout . Rooms were lovely but as per other reviews lounges were dirty and dishwasher was filthy. Staff were very pleasant. Close to the shopping centre and not too far of a drive to Nelson's bay. The lagoon pool was lovely,clean and good temperature. balcony s were spacious and a great way to relax by the water. Overall great get away for my partner and me!

• Stayed December 2012
Your kind feedback is much appreciated and I am pleased to see you enjoyed your stay. We are looking to upgrade our lounges in the coming 12 months to replace those, that despite regular cleaning are in need of replacement after 5 years of use
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012 via mobile

We came here 2 years and enjoyed every aspect of the stay. This time
- we waited for 20 minutes at the "please wait to be seated " sign , no one was there, the restaurant clearly had food, but no staff, it ended up being a group of at least 10 people, waiting wand waiting , until 1 by 1 all walked away.

- the pool has clearly not been maintained properly , black spots everywhere, and dirt throughout.

It's still a good place to stay, but that restaurant needs ALOT of work to be up to standard of the rest of the resort

• Stayed December 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay here. The Azure restaurant is a separate business to us here at Oaks Pacific Blue but we do work closely together in the interests of the resort. Please accept my apologies on their behalf and I have forwarded your feedback on to the owners and manager for their action.
Our pool I am pleased to say after 5 ½ years of continues use and wear, evident by the worn surface you referred to is due to be repainted in the coming year.
sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

ive stayed at oaks hotels & resorts across Australia & New Zealand so i know what to expect when i walk into an oaks foyer, was i wrong. first impressions count front staff Daniel was rude on arrival he ignored me till he was ready i actually greeted him. when i got my keys to 171A & walked in i was disappointed. there was a stale smell in the air i had to open all windows, there was rubbish in between the sofa majority of the walls either had cracks or markings i could even see the gyprock in certain areas. even the down lights were out 4 to be exact. i was not impressed & asked for a change of room. we got moved to 182A on the other side of the resort which was a little cleaner but not the best.

the lagoon pool is dirty. it has patched of black on the floor which is visible in most places of the lagoon. its not heated even the decking looks like its never been painted since this place has open cos its flaking off almost got a splinter. to my regret i took a dip in the lagoon which had ducks swimming in it, took a shower went to lie down in the bed which was cosy but itchy. we could not sleep in the bed as it was itchy, i had to sleep on the covers come morning they dont have a hot breakfest buffy only continental which comes with a charge of $10. why would anyone pay for this when they can go across the rd to maccas & get hot breakfest. i checked out about 2pm after i found another acoomidation in the hunter.

when i walked into the foyer daniel actually greeted me but i stopped him in his tracks when i said im checking out early. he asked me if my stay was confortable then i explained to him everything that was wrong with this resort he jotted them down and told me his going to get maintence to have a look. i told him this was not good enough, he got luke who is the manager of the resort and he was going to look into the matter persoanlly. he asked daniel if my details were in the system & they will contact me for a compensation as ive booked for 2 nights. i even gave luke my email address.

when i got to my new hotel in the hunter valley i had reliased i left some personal items in one of the walldrobes called that night. brook answered the phone & told me they could not enter the room because housekeeping went home & she did not have access. i called back asking her to leave a msg for daniel in the morning and call me back asap. as usual to no surprise i called daniel. he got no msg from brook but he was very helpful this time & actually called me back 15 mins later and said he had found my personal items and will post them to my address with a charge of $18.60 on pick up, do you think i had a choice?

till this day not daniel, brook or luke (hotel manager) have apoligised to me or even been in contact since. i will not be staying at another oask hotel/resort after this encounter

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
OaksPacificBlue, Manager at Oaks Pacific Blue Resort Salamander Bay, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
It is disappointing to hear of all the issues you seemed to have encountered on your stay here with us at Oaks Pacific Blue. Please be assured, we do strive as always to deliver the high standards that Oaks delivers right across its properties. Please accept my apologies for the disappointment and any perceived lack of service you experienced during your stay. Your feedback has been forwarded on to my various department heads for their review and action and we do hope to accommodate you hear again at Oaks Pacific Blue.
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

We stayed in off peak time mid December in a 3br Townhouse with its own plunge pool for 5 nights. Our children 14, 9 & twins 1yr old loved it. The rooms were set up well and everyone loved the huge moat style pool surrounding the resort. The plunge pool wasnt that clean but we spent most of our time in the main pool anyway. The pool temperature was fine and the weather was gorgeous. The day spa was good but I have had better. The menu at the Restaurant was bland and had limited choice. hours of operation for the restaurant arent great either and they dont offer room service. It would be fabulous if there was a childrens playground at the resort or near by.
I found staff generally friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Get a 2br Townhouse or 3br townhouse. Some of the rooms are privately owned so dont expect it to be...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
I am pleased to see you enjoyed your stay here at Oaks Pacific Blue and I will pass your kind words on to my staff, as it is always pleasant to receive positive feedback. I am pleased to see you enjoyed both our weather and our pool. I will forward your suggestions for a play area to our owner’s corporation for their consideration.

Been to Oaks Pacific Blue Resort Salamander Bay? Share your experiences!