“Perfect for a relaxing weekend away” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Oaks Pacific Blue Resort Salamander Bay

Save Saved
You added Oaks Pacific Blue Resort Salamander Bay to your Saves list
Oaks Pacific Blue Resort Salamander Bay
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   265 Sandy Point Road | Salamander Bay, Port Stephens, New South Wales 2317, Australia   |
Offers & Announcements
Stay 3 Nights & Save 15%!
Ranked #10 of 28 hotels in Port Stephens
Sydney, Australia
“Perfect for a relaxing weekend away”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Nice clean resort perfect for a relaxing weekend away. Unfortunately the weather was cloudy and cool which meant we didn't get to take full advantage of the facilities. We stayed in a studio apartment in the hotel section which backed onto the car park. This wasn't so bad as we noticed many of the rooms out on the lagoon directly faced each other. My only gripe. Extra towels cost $2 each! The room wasn't serviced but for a 2 night stay that's not a big deal.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
OaksPacificBlue, Manager at Oaks Pacific Blue Resort Salamander Bay, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
It is pleasing to hear that you enjoyed your stay here at Oaks Pacific Blue, and thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback. It is regrettable to hear that our pricing structure caused you some angst, please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused.

431 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

The Oaks Pacific Blue is located at Salamander Bay, Port Stephens. The resort is located in suburbia and is almost a kilometre from the bay. There is a supermarket and a few shops about 600 metres (just under half a mile) away but if you want a selection of restaurants (or anything else), then it is about 4.5 kilometres (just under 3 miles) into Nelson Bay.

The resort looks quite attractive and appears to be well maintained. I stayed in a 3 bedroom apartment with a plunge pool. The cost was $250 per night which I thought was reasonable value for money (It would be more expensive in the height of summer). The apartment had its own garage from which you could access the apartment directly.

The apartment was clean (on the inside), modern and spacious. The plunge pool was not satisfactorily clean and the area around it needed to be swept. However, it was cold outside so we did not use the pool or the outside area anyway.

The kitchen was well stocked and everything in the apartment worked.

Service at Reception was poor. On one occasion, I was standing at Reception, there were 2 Reception staff doing paperwork just 1 metre away from me. They both saw me, made no acknowledgment, said nothing to me and kept working away. Neither of them was on the phone. They kept me waiting for about 3 minutes. There was nobody else around. I was astonished. What did they think I was doing standing at the Reception counter? Maybe I had come just to look at them work?

On the other hand, some staff were friendly and helpful. But the friendliness disappears when you have a problem. I was having a little difficulty with the garage door. The guy at Reception said he couldn't look at it for a couple of hours because he was by himself. Really? A resort with 176 apartments and there is only 1 person on Reception? And it wasn't the middle of the night. Plus I was just over 1 minute walk away from the Reception counter.

Despite these few hiccups, we enjoyed our stay. We will be staying there again. In the middle of summer next time, so we can try out the lagoon pool.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback, and I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us back in July. Apologies that you did not receive the standard of customer service expected at the time of your visit. Please be assured that we do take our customer service standards very seriously and are constantly striving to improve and maintain these standards.
We do look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit in the warmer months
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

We had a lovely stay in this Resort, it was just a pity about the weather as it rained the entire time. This did not prevent us though as we took full advantage of the hot tub!

The rooms were very clean and well presented. Comfy Beds.
Some of the rooms are directly opposite to other apartments, so it's very easy to have other occupiers looking directly into your lounge room, however that is just the design of the building.

The pool is great, especially in the summer months!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
OaksPacificBlue, Manager at Oaks Pacific Blue Resort Salamander Bay, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Thank you for your kind feedback. We take great pride in our guest stays and our resort, and it is always a pleasure to have positive feedback from our guests. We look forward to your next visit to Oaks Pacific Blue and wish you another pleasant stay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

My husband and I spent a Thursday and Friday night in a 1 bedroom swimout.It was quiet Thursday night all around the hotel but got a little busier naturally on the Friday night.We stayed in room 193 which had the morning sun on our balcony and swimout verandah.I would suggest trying for a room with the lunchtime to mid afternoon sun.We had a public spa just opposite.A quick swim away.The room was very clean and spacious.It had a self contained kitchen,dining table and lounge area with plazma t.v.The bedroom had a king size bed and the bathroom had a nice big spa bath.There was also a walk in wardrobe.It was serviced daily with fresh towels and the garbage removed so I have no complaints with housekeeping.I also have no complaints with the service I recieved.The check in staff were friendly and helped with the typical tourist questions.The restaraunt food was nice but maybe the service a little slow but still friendly.No big deal.Gave us a chance to relax and take in the scenery.The way the hotel is built around the lagoon is really quiet beautiful.We swam out from our verandah each morning.As many people did.Nice Body and Soul Spa next door and waIking distance to the shops and Salamander Tavern which we had a nice bistro meal at.Would recommend this hotel for couples,families and friends.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that will be in the sun most of the day
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
OaksPacificBlue, Manager at Oaks Pacific Blue Resort Salamander Bay, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
We are very please that you enjoyed your stay at Oaks Pacific Blue. Your kind feedback has been passed on to all our staff, as they all take personal pride in ensuring that our guest have an enjoyable and relaxing stay. We look forward to having you as our guest again here at Oaks pacific Blue.
Port Stephens
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We stayed on the island of the swimming pool.
You can swim out to the swimming pool from the room directly.
The staff of the hotel were quite helpful.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Quickbeds

We are very pleased to see you enjoyed your stay at our resort and we look forward to having you as our guest again. We do appreciate the positive feedback as we constantly strive to maintain our property and to improve our guest experience.
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I stayed here with my husband and 2 young children last year for a 4 day break. Whilst we loved the room (1 bedroom swimout) and had a lovely time there, the staff were quite cold and really unfriendly (apart from one girl who helped with my booking).

This was confirmed to me when a couple of weeks ago I rang to book for the school holidays and asked for a similar room (1 bedroom swimout, which had a sofa bed for my girls), I was told firstly I couldn't have a swimout as we have young children and it's unsafe (???? I assume your fences are up to safety regulations!), we were then told by another staff member that it was a fire hazard and we'd have to book at least a 2 bedroom (which was then way out of our budget).

When I questioned why I could not have the same room as last year I got some vague answer that "rules must have changed".

When I said that was unfortunate as we loved the resort, but making us stay in a 2 bedroom was just too much and I'd have to look elsewhere for my accommodation I received the same response from 2 of your staff members I spoke to, "Ok then"! No effort to help at all, or discuss alternatives at all!!

Ok then - so I did, I found accommodation elsewhere where the staff were friendly and more than willing to discuss my needs.

I honestly cannot understand why the room I had exactly 12 months earlier was suddenly deemed unsafe. Why would you have a sofa bed in the room if it can't be used for a bed? Confusing and disappointing.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
We regret that you were unable to obtain the room type that you wished, but in this instance the information you received was correct. Fire regulations do prevent us from allowing 4 persons to occupy that particular room type. Apologies if this was not conveyed to you in a satisfactory manner.

Been to Oaks Pacific Blue Resort Salamander Bay? Share your experiences!