“Better than other reviews led me to believe” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Guthega Alpine Hotel

Guthega Alpine Hotel
You added Guthega Alpine Hotel to your Saves list
Guthega Alpine Hotel
Guthega, Perisher Valley, Kosciuszko National Park, New South Wales 2624, Australia   |
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Perisher Valley
menzie2
“Better than other reviews led me to believe”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed for three nights at the guthega alpine inn in November while attending a yoga retreat (which was a wonderful experience). When I read some of the reviews on trip-advisor I was dreading staying at the accommodation to the extent that I didn't tell my somewhat unwilling partner how horrible the hotel was likely to be. I was greatly relieved to find modest but clean accommodation with beautiful views, surprisingly good food and very friendly helpful service. I don't know whether the hotel has changed hands again but we found the owners to be friendly, helpful and pleasant - nothing at all like some of the reviews.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

My family and I visited the Guthega Hotel for lunch after skiing over from Blue Cow. While the food wasn't cheap it was no more expensive than the resort charges, and it was much better quality. The service was friendly and the views out over the main range were beautiful. It was nice to be away from the crowds and average food at the main resort restaurants.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Wollongong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Our first trip to the Australian Alps could have ended in disaster, if we didn't have help from the very kind Guthega Alpine Inn staff. We had a problem with our snow chains on the way to Guthega and got stuck in the middle of the road, but everything was sorted out because Nick promptly came to help us, and in the next day, he even offered to go all the way to Jindabyne to have the snow chains changed for us. In addition to this big gesture of kindness, the staff was very welcoming and provided us a really pleasant stay. The Guthega Alpine Inn has a warm atmosphere, great food and stunning views.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

We stay here on our annual boys ski trip every year. Nick and Jenny provide us with great service and really make sure we are comfortable. As house guests we even have lounges by the fire and bar seating reserved for us when we come in from skiing which is a very nice touch and much apprieciated.

If we need a hand with tuning our gear Nick is always very keen to help.

Stay here and you WILL be looked after!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

A week at the Guthega Alpine Inn was sensational - so close to the T-Bar - warm boots to put on every morning after a wonderful breakfast that was swift and served by attentive, friendly staff. Upon return, it was great to reminisce with Nick and Jenny about the exhilaration of skiing the mountain. Saturday afternoon live entertainment was akin to any great bar in Canberra. Evenings by the fireside, in deep conversation with other guests, whose professional backgrounds made it an intellectual feast, which complemented Jenny's culinary skills - the 3 course dinner varied every night and the kitchen was only to happy to adapt according to my requests. My room had a spectacular view and was fitted with all one could wish for after a full day's skiing. I would not stay anywhere else. Fantastic hosts, well-trained staff, a wine list clearly selected for quality and an ambience reminiscent of Europe. Thank you Nick and Jenny - I will be a regular returnee and you have my whole hearted recommendation!

Room Tip: Ask for a bath - it is bliss after a full day on the mountain! The views are awesome whereever you a...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

This was my first time skiing the Australian Alps using Guthega as a base. I first came across this hotel when I used it as a base for walking the Alps in the summer last year. Nick and Jenny made me feel very welcome back then, and the welcome was just as great this winter. The Alpine Hotel has great food, great service and a great ambience. A big log fire, and an eclectic library if you haven't brought anything to read. And the scenery - right on the snow, and it's stunning. If you want disco, loud music, bars and shops - go to Thredbo or Perisher. But if you're just looking for a great place to stay and ski - try this one!

Room Tip: Pay a little extra and get a room with views of the mountains.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

The current managers of this place are awful people. I had been there a number of times with the previous owners and expected to enjoy the same hospitality. But that was not be! Simple things which we all encounter on a daily basis were perverted and twisted into a big issue by the operators. I just wasn't prepared for what was ahead of me. They are curt rude and aggressive. Now I am away from the place, I've thought of many good retorts I could have thrown at them, but my efforts are in vain as I won't be going back while these managers are there. It’s a difficult place to find on skis and while the view is lovely the operators are ugly.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Guthega Alpine Hotel? Share your experiences!