“Homely and great food” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Eiger Chalet

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Perisher Valley
Eiger Chalet
Kosciuszko Road, Perisher Valley, Kosciuszko National Park, New South Wales 2624, Australia   |
Brisbane, Australia
“Homely and great food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

The Eiger chalet is a rambling and somewhat basic hotel, due to having been built and added to over the years by the original owners. For me, being ski-in-ski-out, with truly delicious meals included was the selling point. I have stayed here twice and love the family homely atmosphere with a sense of history (being one of the original hotels in Perisher). The evening meals are very good indeed. I enjoyed taking a sauna when I got back after a hard days skiing. I found the staff helpful and friendly. True you do have to carry your gear to the room - but hey - you're skiing - what's wrong with your legs?!!! For me it was ultra convenient and comfortable, and I would definitely return again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

33 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Its basic on snow accomodation in a mock Tyrolean style but it has everthing you need for a good ski holiday at perisher.

the biggest advantage for ,as a solo traveller, was that it was the only accomodation I could find in the NSW snowfields that had rooms for singles (and at a reasonable price). Su

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Jakarta, Indonesia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Bathrooms in adjacent apartments share the same ventilation system so the air (or gas) from one apartment could well end up in the other. It's a poor construction design many buildings of this type share.

In my case it wasn't so much the smell that was the problem as the noise. You would think that if you turned your ventilator off (which is automatically connected to the light switch) , you wouldn't here it. Not so, unless the person in the adjacent apartment has theirs switched off as well.

Unfortunately for me the person next to me left the ventilator on then went out about 8pm and didn't return until after midnight. In my room the bed head was only a metre from the bathroom and the noise from the ventilator made it impossible to get any rest. There was also obvious noise from the upstairs toilet being flushed with the discharge pipe exposed instead of being behind the wall.

The mattress was old and soft and the sheeting/blankets far from adequate with numerous hairs being found.

Although the staff were helpful, if not a bit gruff, there were communication problems. After hours help comes in the form of being transferred to an answering machine that tries to turn your message into a text message that is then sent on to the person/manager which is then meant to contact you.

Mostly the answering service is unable to translate your message so you're left frustrated talking to a machine that's not even capable of recording your message. After several attempts of having to call back my message was eventually taken. All to no avail though, I never got a call back.

The food from the restaurant did seem to be of reasonable quality but the cost of it was above what it should have been. Communication between the waitress and the chef broke down somewhere as I didn't get what I'd ordered. Breakfast proved a bit claustrophobic for my liking with inadequate facilities for the amount of people requiring a morning feed.

I wouldn't go back. I've rated it as poor. But by Australian standards it's probably closer to average. By my vast experience it seems to me Australians have a lot to learn in the customer service industry.

Room Tip: Choose another place.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Colorado2624, Manager at Eiger Chalet, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Hi - I sincerely apologise for the phones not working satisfactorily and ackowledge we had major issues with the phone system which has now been rectified (too late for your concerns - sorry).

We don't actually have an answering machine on the property - the phone lines "after hours" are transferred to a mobile and obviously the phone system failed again on this evening. (Now rectified).

As far as I can remember, I was unaware at the time of your stay that there had been issues in the restaurant as I would have offered some form of compensation for your inconvenience.

Thank you for your feedback on other issues and now that I am more aware of them, I will implement and rectify those areas of concerns to ensure that our guests enjoy the best possible experience.
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Location is good, situated near the quad chair if the creek is frozen can ski directly from the lodge to quad chair. Chalet is good although dated like most on snow accommodation. Rooms basic, warm, basic bathroom, good drying room and ski rack area. Staff not very helpful, no offer to assist with carrying bags upstairs with 4 children, were locked out one night and front door access code did not work, Sue the manager was not impressed when we had to wake her up to open the front door emergency phone did not work nor did the code we couldn't sleep in the snow...When we advised her code not working her response " so what do you want me to do about it". Food at the Spider restaurant was very good, although the menu was the same every evening would have been nice to have an alternative menu. Not sure if we got Sue in a bad mood - end of the season but her rude attitude on a number of occasions would probably mean I would not go there again.

Room Tip: Mountain view nice, if travelling with a family opt for family room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
In response to your comment "Sue the manager was not impressed when we had to wake her up to open the front door emergency phone did not work nor did the code we couldn't sleep in the snow...When we advised her code not working her response " so what do you want me to do about it".

My response: I had apologised profusely over and over again about the code not working at 1am in the morning and explained that there had been a technical fault with the outside phone and a technician was arriving in the next few days to fix it. After your continuous "loud speaking / yelling" at me (prompted by alcohol consumption consumed in your rooms), yes, my response was "What can I do for you, right now, to sort this out?" You did not provide answer at that time and continued yelling at me.

Also - the above 1am door experience all accurred after requesting your children to stop running unsupervised up and down the accommodation corridors at 10.30pm and also requesting your wives not to jump off the beds and onto the floor making loud "thud" sounds at 11pm - so yes - the 1am door experience was the third time of being woken up for your family in a 3hr period.

FYI - I did not have to attend / assist any other guests on this evening or any other night of the ski season this many times in one night.

The staff and I wish you and your family the best snow experience at another venue.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

We had dinner at the White Spider Restaurant, Eiger Chalet. We sat upstairs above the fire place and the smoke was unpleasant. We had the 'grazing plate' as an entre which was presented as an antipasto with a warm loaf. For mains we had the chicken schnitzel, and steak on rib. The steak was orderd as medium and came more medium rare, but still enjoyable. One negative was there was no hot (english) mustard available, only a mild dijon style mustard. The schnitzel was two large chicken breasts served with baked potato pieces and a compote which had no identifiable taste but was not unpleasant. We had a Peter Lehmann shiraz which was a reasonable price. We decided not to have desert or coffee as the smoke from the fireplace was unpleasant and one diner had itchy eyes as a result.

Room Tip: Ask for a table on the ground floor as the tables on the first floor above the fireplace get smoke f...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

We've just had our first Perisher experience at the Eiger Chalet and it was fabulous! We had a mountain view plus room which is the way to go. For a little extra you get a bigger room with bath and balcony, Queen size bed and a single. For the three of us it didn't feel cramped at all. The bedding was all new and made the room feel light and bright. Most importantly for us the bed was firm and very comfortable. I don't know what the top notch accommodation looks like but this felt just perfect to me. The chalet is old but very clean, warm and in excellent working order. It's very convenient. The front area is well designed to store boots and skis and it's very easy to gear up and ski just down the slope to the quad lift or if the snow has melted a bit it's a 2 minute walk. We opted for the breakfast and dinner package which was excellent. The food is very good. My only complaint is that the menu didn't change in the week we were there. It would've been good to have a change mid week. Still we thoroughly enjoyed eating that menu as it was delicious! The service is excellent and as it's a small chalet there is a real family feel. We made some good friends and even though there were a lot of younger kids there we were never bothered by too much noise. Dinner tended to be in two sittings. A great games room with a small but fun for a shot pool table,lots of board games, table tennis and foosball. Spa and sauna are a must after a days skiing and also a great way to meet people. We will definitely go back! We spent a day up at Charlottes Pass and even though it's very pretty it doesn't really compare to Perisher's long cross mountain tracks and the Eiger was a much smaller, friendlier place to stay that the Charlotte Pass Chalet.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Gosford, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

Just recently returned from a short visit with the kids to Perisher (July 2012) and stayed at the Eiger Chalet. Sue the manager made our booking and made us feel very welcome upon arrival. The Eiger is on-snow accomodation and just a two minute walk to the lifts. The White Spider restaurant was awesome, great size main meals (i had the rib-eye with bone in), and dessert was to die for! Pavloa with mixed berries, sauce and fresh cream. The Manager was even helping the kitchen staff and doing the rounds ensuring people were alright and even a cosy fireplace to keep you warm whilst you have a beer or wine. Customer service was excellent and i could'nt fault them.
Accomodation: Rooms were clean and comfortable and although this isn't a five-star place it does the job very well!
This was our first visit to the Eiger Chalet, and i can say that we will be back for sure next season to stay even longer :)

Room Tip: Get a front room with view of the slopes it's awesome to watch in bed, feels surreal!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Eiger Chalet? Share your experiences!