This reviewer wishes to save fellow holiday makers the loss of sleep caused at the Marina Resort- Nelson Bay.
Warning the Marina Resort is not for those wishing to sleep. The cautionary tale takes place in their "luxury room"!
If you are holding a party or going for schoolies you may be in luck as it seems anything goes at Marina Resort. Please do not stay here if you are hoping to get even a wink of sleep.
As we walked towards our room the sounds of hard/ fast electronic music belted down the hallway towards us. We entered the room hoping this would dull the volume which sounded like a dj set up complete with large amps. We were dismayed to find the noise in our room was only added to by loud yelling from the balconies heard from across the other side of the building.
We immediately requested a room change at the reception. However they told us everything was full for the night. "It's ok" the staff member said "we’ll tell them to stop". We asked for a dvd player (not provided in the "luxury room") in the hope we could drown out the music. We were handed a dvd player at the front desk.
10 minutes passed and a few loud knocks later the voices were heard walking down the hall and out through the lift.
Peace at last- or so we thought. It was 8pm and we hoped some of the party goers were visitors rather than guests. Little did we know that rooms on the 3rd and 4th floor were also booked by party goers.
After playing around with the dvd player for 15 minutes I gave up and called reception for help. A man came up and tried to make it work for 10minutes before leaving to get the manual. We were able to make the DVD work which later provided some assistance against the parties.
At around 1.30am we were woken by the party guests return. The sounds of drunken yells, screams and dry reaching were shortly followed by loud music again.
I reluctantly dressed and made my way down to reception. Feeling sorry for the man who I had clearly woken up, he accompanied me to the rooms. He asked me if I had trouble with noise on the 3rd or the 4th floor, explaining they were both booked by loud party goers. The music stopped temporarily after this for 10minutes, before starting again.
Through the wall the drone of a spa bath could be heard followed by loud crashes sounds of people being thrown in (from their yelled protests it sounded though this was against their will). I decided to use the DVD as sleep proved futile. Loud cries and yells could be heard all night followed by loud sex at 4.15 in the morning and around 5.10am a loud sobbing crying echoing down the hallway.
It was a very long and regrettable night and I told reception we could not stand a second night without sleep. We were offered a bottle of wine, a few drinks in the restaurant by way of compensation to entice us to stay a second night, with a room downgrade to the other side of the building. We were told the room downgrade was the only room available on the other side of the building and that we would be refunded the difference for a proposed second night (for which we had paid).
We declined to stay the second night as well as the complimentary "bottle of wine and drinks"- I guess to help knock us off to sleep. The other guests I imagine would have been only too happy to accept all additional drinks.
Please don't make the same mistake we did, the Marina Resort refuses to refund your lack of sleep.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Marina Resort is a great place to stay while you explore Port Stephens. Marina Resort is well located in the heart of beautiful Port Stephens overlooking Nelson Bay Marina. A short 5m walk to the Dolphin & Whale Watch Cruises in the Marina, Cafes & Beach. Marina Resort is conveniently located near all of Port Stephens major tourist attractions. Our recently refurbished 44 room hotel offer spacious comfort with great views of the bay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Agoda, TripOnline SA, EasyToBook, Travelocity, Despegar.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Port Stephens Marina Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Port Stephens Marina Hotel Nelson Bay
- Port Stephens Marina Resort Nelson Bay