“Clean and Comfortable” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Nelson Resort

You added The Nelson Resort to your Saves list
The Nelson Resort
4.0 of 5 Motel   |   3 Government Road, Nelson Bay, Port Stephens, New South Wales 2315, Australia (Formerly Nelson Lodge Motel)   |
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Nelson Bay
Sydney, Australia
“Clean and Comfortable”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

I have recently returned from my 1 night stay at The Nelson Resort in Nelsons Bay and overall seemed to be not as bad as I thought. The only issues I had with the hotel which really looks like a motel but with a bit of a touch up was that the lady at the front desk checked us in and when we arrived to our room they hadn't cleaned it yet and nothing was done. Luckily a nice cleaner lady saw this and fixed it for us. Also the rooms are a tad dated and can get quite noisy during the night. The beds were comfortable and the rooms were clean and the hotel had a new pool which I was hoping to use but it was pouring rain. Close to the marina and not far a drive from Soldiers Point or Salamander Bay.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room not on the botton floor because it is noisy.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Swindon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

We arrived in Nelson Bay in pouring rain and the i-Site office found us a room at the Nelson Lodge / Resort. Returning to my rented car I found I had a flat tyre and nursed it into the underground car park of the motel. We checked in with very helpful staff, who showed us to our room. They then looked out for the emergency breakdown service person, whom I had phoned for assistance. Later, I found our iPad did not connect from our room, nor did it want to co-operate in their reception. They therefore allowed me to check my e-mail on their own pc. Later, they gave good advice on shops and restaurants. Next morning, the manager was very helpful when we checked out, by sitting with me and a map to show me all the best places to see in the Port Stephens area, before we continued our journey south.
As for the room we had - it was a little on the small side, but okay for a night's rest - clean, comfortable, nicely decorated, and with a view from the balcony over Port Stephens.
There is a very good heated outdoor pool and towels are provided at reception. There is a nice coffee lounge by reception (excellent coffee), which also serves a well-priced breakfast.
From the outside the property looks a little dour - not helped by a large and garish bottle shop in front of it. But the welcome inside more than makes up for it.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
andrew579999, Manager at The Nelson Resort, responded to this review, September 28, 2011
Thanks for your comments! We do love working here and try hard to make sure everybody leaves us feeling like you did.

Enjoy the rest of your travels.

Debbie
Front Office Manager
Newport Beach, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

This motel has seemingly been given a cosmetic overhall, so the beds are good and the rooms have a freshened feel with kitchenetts for convenience; however, it is still a motel sandwiched between two roads. There is lots of road noise (from both roads) and a dated feel about the place. The tub/shower needed a good bleaching and had a half sliding door/half dirty old curtain on it. The lobby seems pleasantly spruced up. If you are expecting a resort though, you will be disappointed. Were it not for the comfortable beds, I would have given it a 2.5 star rating.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
andrew579999, Owner at The Nelson Resort, responded to this review, September 27, 2011
Dear Customer,

It does not seem that you have had the best of our property, so apologies you have not had a great time. It seems that you have stayed in one of our partially renovated rooms (the standard room types) - there are only 6 of these of the total 36 rooms, and we will be finishing the renovations to these shortly. They do have great beds but we have yet to replace the bathroom and kitchenette which I agree does give it a dated appearance.

The rest of our rooms have been completelty renovated (new tiling, plumbing, wiring, carpets, gyproc - the works) so really have had much more than a cosmetic overhaul. We have also just re-opened our pool area which has been re-tiled, new heaters, new furniture etc.

We do classify as a resort when comparing to every other hotel./resort in the area - with heated pool, tennis, gym, sauna, locals favourite cafe, room service plus atrractions such as the beach and Boat tours a short stroll accross the park, however I'd agree we are not in the category of a Bora Bora island resort. We are central to everything (one of our key benefits) which does mean it is busier than an island retreat. Having said that we recieve very few negative comments about noise, and if this is an issue to anybody please advise when booking and we can allocate rooms accordingly.

Once again sorry you did not have the best time, and if you are in teh area again ask for me personally, and i will make sure we show you the best of our resort and Nelson Bay.

Cheers
Andrew
Co- Owner
Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

I have just spent 2 days here at a conference (& some fishing afterwards). This hotel sets a new standard in customer service.

Manicured gardens out front, beautiful views of the bay, tastefully decorated & spotless rooms. The hotel is in very good order.

Breakfast was fantastic,comfortable beds & the conference room well equiped (maybe only suit about 30 or so in comfort).

In the last 2 months I have stayed in 13 hotels, none could go anywhere the level of outstanding service recieved at The Nelson. Every hotel could do with someone at reception as happy & helpful as Debbie, Andrew and every employee I encountered there. I'd love to bottle their enthusiasm for my employees.

Room Tip: I think rooms 31,32 & 33 had best views but are up stairs. Maybe they all or most have water vie...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Balmain, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

We chose The Nelson fResort or a girls weekend away because it was central to the bay and everything was in walking distance.

The resort has recently been refurbished and is no longer a 60s flashback but a chic, friendly hotel. The rooms are fresh and airy, the decor elegant but casual - you could really make yourself at home on the couch (and we did!). The kitchenette was handy for storing our champagne and cheese, and the full length mirrors perfect for us girls to do our make up and dressing up. A big thumbs up for the beds...they have those quilted matress toppers on them....aaaahhhh, so comfy! I was so glad that the bathrooms are new too.

We were a bit concerned that our room balcony faced the street, but we it was really quiet in the evening/morning, and there was no noise from the courtyard carpark either.

We dined locally, at the one hat restaurant, Zest. It was really good. Surprisingly good for a regional restaurant and great value for the quality of food and the wine list.

It rained the next morning so we had coffee and breakfast at the cafe in the resort. Loads of newspapers and magazines at the cafe/reception area and a great view of the bay. The coffee was just what I needed, definitely up to Sydney standards and I regret not getting a takeaway for the drive home.

Hotel accommodation in the bay area can be hard to find - there's a lot of serviced apartments or holiday house rentals. If you want to stay somewhere central, with easy access to the beach, but don't want the cost of a large apartment, then this is a good option.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

My partner and I stayed in a queen delux spa studio which was very modern and spacious. it even had an extra single bed and a sofa bed which wasn't excpected. the bathroom was very large with a nice large shower over spa bath. Just a tip that you have to turn a switch on in the middle of the bathroom vanity to get the spa to work. room came with nice complimentary shampoos and body gel, tea coffee and biscuits. 4 fresh towls were provided and a hair dryer. bed was very comfortable with lots of nice big pillows. my biggeset dissapointment was the noise at 8am monday morning as it sounded like continous hammering above our room which was impossible to get back to sleep. the location is a 5 miniute walk to the marina and if you walk out the back of the hotel there is an entrance to the arcade. the passionfruit juice cafe in the arcade is great for a cheap big breakie or fruit juice and Sue in there is very friendly. we didnt eat at the hotel as monday mornings was the only day they arnt open for breakfast which was a shame. would stay here again as the price for a spa room was great.

Room Tip: ensure you ask for a renovated room as I gathered some others were a bit run down
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2011

A very cheap motel but with good value. Location is excellent, just walking distance to the whale/ dolphin watching departure at the Marina. Staff is very kind to allow us to park our car in the motel after our check out. Only downside is that we need to carry our luggage to 3rd floor and it's very heavy.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Nelson Resort? Share your experiences!